Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Girot

Played last night with the new D&D group (second time) and got a chance to unleash a little bit during one encounter. We are 22nd level in a 4e campaign and I am a two ranger. I was able to swing seven times in one round for a total over 350 damage without using a daily attack power. It was well placed, as well, because I was able to cut one of the main baddies down in the encounter when he hadn't even been hit yet.

I am anxious to show off my daily burst of attacks and damage next time. (We think we will be fighting a dracolich)

How do you do "seven attacks" in 4e? And how do you average roughly 50 damage per attack?

Well, he did say they're level 22, which is epic tier. So that's really not that far out of line, especially when you consider that a Wizard at that level can literally stop time. If I had to guess, I'd say that Talae's ranger used Cheetah's Rake, a Level 17 exploit which lets a two-weapon ranger attack every adjacent enemy, and then probably an Action Point to make some other attack(s).

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ub3r_n3rd

• buglips*the*goblin

• Last Knight

• ShadowRaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Played last night with the new D&D group (second time) and got a chance to unleash a little bit during one encounter. We are 22nd level in a 4e campaign and I am a two ranger. I was able to swing seven times in one round for a total over 350 damage without using a daily attack power. It was well placed, as well, because I was able to cut one of the main baddies down in the encounter when he hadn't even been hit yet.

I am anxious to show off my daily burst of attacks and damage next time. (We think we will be fighting a dracolich)

How do you do "seven attacks" in 4e? And how do you average roughly 50 damage per attack?

TL:DR Version: Being a TWF Ranger in 4e makes for an insane amount of attack rolls and damage. To top that off, this is epic level.

Brace yourself for lengthy breakdown. 

I was standing next to the baddie (thanks to the Warden moving him closer) and had him targeted as my Hunter's Quarry. Pathfinder paragon path gives an extra move action when you use an action point. That nets a total of 2 standard actions, 2 move actions, and 1 minor action. The actual damage was not tallied and average was actually closer to 400. I believe my exact choice of powers was:

Standard: Untamed Outburst (two attacks)

Move (use minor action power): Ruffling Sting (one attack)

Minor: Off-Hand Diversion (one attack)

-Action point (gain a standard action and a move action. Also regain encounter power [ruffling sting] with Martial Mastery)-

Standard: Twin Strike (two attacks)

Move (use minor action power): Ruffling Sting (one attack)

Most of the above attacks are 1d10 or 2d10 + 41 damage

Add 3d6 for Hunter's Quarry and 6d10  for Rending Tempest.

Attack Bonus Sources: +34 to hit

+11 (Level)

+9 (Strength)

+4 enhancement (+4 weapon)

+3 feat (Heavy Blade Expertise)

+3 (Proficiency)

+2 (Combat Advantage)

+2 (Prime Shot)

Damage Bonus Sources: +41 cold damage

+9 (Strength)

+5 (Called Shot)

+5 (Lasting Frost)

+4 enhancement (+4 weapon)

+4 feat (Icy Heart)

+4 item (Iron Armbands of Power)

+4 (Gloves of Ice)

+3 (Siberys Shard)

+2 (Longtooth Shifting)

+1 (Two-Weapon Fighting)

If you want even more detail, I guess I can give you my list of feat and power choices.

• Like 1

Computer: "The door opens to reveal an 10' x 10' room. In the room are 50 orcs. 100 goblins. 20 Hill Giants and 5 Fire Dragons. What do you do?"

I punch the computer in the face!!!!

For making me guffaw out loud and clap in appreciation:

Stomp+of+approval.jpg

:lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 7

Played last night with the new D&D group (second time) and got a chance to unleash a little bit during one encounter. We are 22nd level in a 4e campaign...

TL:DR Version: Being a TWF Ranger in 4e ....

...Pathfinder paragon path ..

Did Pathfinder put out supplements for 4e? Cause I'm confused.

And yay! I've been Stomped!

Computer: "The door opens to reveal an 10' x 10' room. In the room are 50 orcs. 100 goblins. 20 Hill Giants and 5 Fire Dragons. What do you do?"

I punch the computer in the face!!!!

close the door and write 'escher was here' on it before leaving

• Like 5

No. Pathfinder is just the name of what is basically a 4e prestige class. I am pretty sure it is even in the Player's Handbook.

Yep, page 114. "Pathfinder: 'I can find us a path through that maze of horror, and I can safely lead us to the other end.'"

I remember trying to play Bards Tale on our Apple IIe.  It didn't really go well, I think it assumed that you had actually played an RPG in real life before.

I played it on my Apple too. Usually with a couple of my AD&D buddies even though it wasn't a multiplayer game.

I remember how cool we thought it was to see the dungeon walls advancing with each keystroke, and how if we turned we could actually see the wall or door we were facing.

It was almost like being there.

Kids these days don't know good they've got it. :;):

• Like 8

So I've been thinking about taking a trip to Italy next year.  I'm not especially well-traveled, since I don't much like to travel and my means are sometimes a bit sketchy.  But recently life has taken an upswing.  Obstacles are being removed (Thanks, Ganesh!); assorted longterm plans now seem likely to bear froot.  After the long tunnel of darkness, it's starting to look like I might find myself with an interesting combination of means, freedom, time, and flexibility.  I'm breakin out!

So... I've been thinking it might be time to have a look-see yonder at some ancient and interesting things.  As Italy is both home to some extraordinarily well-preserved ruins (Herculaneum in particular) and my favourite brand of beer, it seems a logical choice.

As it turns out, my on-again/off-again true love snugglefluffy (It's complicated) has also long harboured an unrequited dream of travelling to Italy.  Her destination of choice is Ravenna.  So we've made semi-tentative plans to mount a joint north american invasion visit.  Plans which stand some chance of escalating from a little trip to a several month tour of Europe. 

We both really like libraries and museums, especially old ones.  I'm told there are lots of them in Europe. 

And you know what?  I think this is going to turn out like that.  It wouldn't be our first adventure, and our adventures are always weird and full of stories.  This has the potential for many whacky shenanigans, which I think increases the odds.

I mean... the last time we hatched a plan I discovered by accident along the way my long-lost adopted half-sister.  No, really.  I am not making that up.  That actually, literally happened.  No logical reason for it to happen, but it did.  And that was only one of the stories. 

And I think when we both stumbled to the same idea of jointly taking on Italy, we both saw the same flash of lightning.

DO THIS.   YOU MUST DO THIS.  EVERYTHING IS RIGHT ABOUT THIS. 

I agree, creepy booming voiceover.  Totally agree.  Sounds like a tip top plan.  I will bend all of my will towards it.  Me and my co-conspirator true love forever muse have unfinished business. 

• Like 10