Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Girot

As a teacher we get 10 days a year, but only have subs for six of them. Also, we are encouraged to take four or less. Extra days roll over to later years and there is no cash out option at the end. Many people save them up and take a semester (or even a year) off at the end of their career. It is definitely an odd situation.

That being said, we do get our normal school related holidays, so we get more time than a lot of people do. We just don't get to pick when as easily and we get a rather low wage (at least in this state). At least it is something I love doing. I can say that on a daily basis I get to impact the future. Not everyone can say that as definite as a teacher.

• Like 3

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ub3r_n3rd

• buglips*the*goblin

• Last Knight

• ShadowRaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha!  51.8 f here today.  Practically summertime.  I might frolic naked in the bare patches of grass just because I can!

Couldnt spot the moon just now, I think it moved to the other side of the planet. ::(:

:blink:

Count yourself lucky then.

• Like 3

25/26 days?!  30 days?!?!?!

sigh. I had to negotiate to get 15 days (instead of 10) at my new job and the only reason I had a hope of it in the first place is because I have almost two decades of experience in my field and the company is small and thus doesn't have hard and fast company rules. It's also never likely to change even if I were to stay here for the rest of my career...

grumble stupid north american "work ethic" grumble

• Like 3

Ub3r, that same logic could be applied to being a stay-at-home parent.  Do I love being home with my kids?  Yes!  Do I get tired of being stuck in my 'work environment' all the time?  Absolutely!  Because when you work at home you are always at work.  So it's hard to mentally rejuvenate when you can see your to-do list spread out in front of you 24-7.  And when I get sick, I don't really get time off to rest, because I'm already at home and so are the kids. 

So while there is a lot of freedom in the schedule, that lack of boundaries can be very wearing. 

• Like 3

I think self-employed and stay-at-home parent are a little bit different with that though LB, your job at home is probably a bit harder since you have those little ones needing you all the time whereas doing something you love for pay as a profession with only the client(s) needing something from you could make it feel less like "work," at least that's how I'd think of it. My wife works from home now (we don't have kids) and she loves it, says it doesn't even feel like work when she gets to hang out in her PJs the whole day while corresponding via the phone/text/email and she can do her research in comfort.

sigh. I had to negotiate to get 15 days (instead of 10) at my new job and the only reason I had a hope of it in the first place is because I have almost two decades of experience in my field and the company is small and thus doesn't have hard and fast company rules. It's also never likely to change even if I were to stay here for the rest of my career...

Well, to be fair, I am military so I get 30 days of leave a year.  So if I want to take off for say a convention (say ReaperCon) from a Wednesday to Monday I get charged for all of those days (even if I normally wouldn't work on Sat or Sun).  Also, my leave is subject to being cancelled at any time for any reason.  Also finding time to take leave can be difficult depending on your assignment.  I know many people who have lost leave days (we can only carry over 75 days per fiscal year) due to optempo not supporting leave.  Plus other arcane rules, like I can't start leave on a weekend or holiday (want to start leave on Memorial day? Nope, check out on the Friday before, or the Tuesday after.  In person so no getting an early start.).

There is something to be said for flexibility.

• Like 2

Dilvish and I are north american. I even work for a large, publicly traded company. On the plus side, I got more vacation as my tenure increased. On the down side, when I started, I tried to negotiate for more vacation time and they just said 'no'.

You want randomness? I accrue vacation time in terms of hours-per-pay-period, and I spend them in terms of hours, but I am only allowed to spend them in full 8-hour chunks (i.e. days*). Makes no sense, if you ask me.

* Note that this has no particular relationship to the number of hours I actually work in a day, since I am salaried, and do not track hours or overtime.

• Like 1

How many hours a day do you put in working at your profession Pingo? I'm assuming you are an artist and doing something you love doing, so does it really feel like work?

Of course it does. Work is work, whether you love it or not.

I try not to think too much about my working hours because it adds up to so much less than minimum wage it's not funny. At the moment I'm working roughly eight-hour days, six days a week, plus child care, cooking, and household maintenance (of which my husband does half). Work time includes image processing, paperwork, and applications to galleries, shows, teaching jobs, etc.

I wish that everyone could do work that they love, and as a matter of course be paid a living wage for it.

• Like 6