Sign in to follow this  
Girot

Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Made a lot of progress on one of my basing projects last night, felt good to get back into it. Looking forward to this weekend which starts in precisely 1.5 hours! Playing some Pathfinder tomorrow with my group, battling Frost Giants soon. 

• Like 3

I have now officially survived Spring Break.  Not a lot of painting going on with all the kids home all day.  Hopefully next week I'll scrounge up some time so I can test out my freshly organized paints! 

• Like 2

Last night I was running my Kingmaker campaign, and the group, six 8th-level PCs and a 6th-level cohort decided at the end of a day of adventuring that they needed to cross a river. In the past, they've used Fly or Water Walking, and they have two characters who can cast Dimension Door, but they have a new Folding Boat and they didn't want to spend the night to get the right spells in the morning, so into the boat it was.

So, seven humans get into a folding boat. Oh, and one paladin's horse, because you wouldn't want to use up your once-a-day summoning, right?  ^_^

Now, I decided (and told the players at some length) that while they could put seven humans and 1200# of horse into an 8'x24' boat, it wouldn't necessarily be an easy trip. Horses, even intelligent horses, don't like boats and the boat wasn't designed to hold horses and would be at or very close to capacity with that load. No worries; they all climb in.

When they shove off from the shore, I ask for a Profession: Sailor roll (like you do), but none of the characters had any skill or experience with boats. They all point at the cleric, since, you know, Wisdom. (Never mind how much wisdom had been shown recently.) DC 10 was the target I had set in my mind – easy enough if you have any training, but.... He proceeds to roll a 3 on the die for an 8 total. "You're having some trouble keeping the boat steady as you try to row across the lake. Give me another P: Sailor roll to steady the boat."

He rolls a 2.

"The boat is rocking severely. The paladin's mount (who the party is convinced is the actual PC with the paladin as a cohort) rolls high, but I decided that the horse moving to keep his balance would be enough to require a reflex save for the rest of the party. (Again DC 10.) The "captain" and the wizard blow their rolls and into the water they go. Somehow the wizard makes his swimming roll (DC, you guessed it, 10), but the cleric "captain" starts to flounder.

The duke casts Alter Self to turn himself into a boggard (to get a Swim speed) and jumps in, while the rogue grabs a rope and prepares to throw it. (Cleric continues to flounder.)

Now, the reason that the party had the required material components to choose "Boggard" is that they had been attacked several times by hostile boggards over the previous two years. Since the cleric was floundering when the spell was cast, I asked for a Wisdom check to realize that the boggard he saw wasn't an enemy rising from the depths but rather a friend coming to help him.

Natural 1.

"I'm being attacked by boggards! Help!"

He grabs the rope and is pulled toward the boat. Both he and the wizard try to climb on board.

If you've ever tried to climb aboard a small craft from the water, you know that it can be a bit ... exciting. So, "Who's captain? Make a P: Sailor roll." The sorcerer grabs the tiller – and rolls a 3. And wisdom isn't a stat usually associated with sorcerers.

"The boat is rocking severely. Make a P: Sailor roll to steady the boat."

At this point, I decided that after blowing two rolls in a row by more than 5, the boat capsized.

"Everyone into the water. Make swimming checks."

The sorc rolls a 4.

The rogue, being a rogue, asks whether he can run over the gunwale and stand on the keel of the capsized boat. Result in the mid-30s, so "Sure, you nimbly dance along the hull as the boat capsizes.

Now, with everyone in the water, (and thus nobody "helping"), and the boat being magical, I decided that it would right itself. (No rule for that, it just seemed like the kind of thing a magical boat might do.) I require another acrobatics check from the rogue. But I also allow checks from the cleric and wizard, who had been holding the gunwale, to grab the boat to keep from having to roll swimming checks again.

The rogue rolls a 3 (into the water) and both the cleric and wizard roll nat 20s. Since it seemed like fun, I allowed them to be catapulted back into the boat while everyone else was in the water,

At that point, they started acting more like a mid-level party and got themselves out of the water without too much more drama, but that's how a calm lake with no monsters almost TPKed an APL 9 party.

:devil:

• Like 17

At that point, they started acting more like a mid-level party and got themselves out of the water without too much more drama, but that's how a calm lake with no monsters almost TPKed an APL 9 party.

:devil:

Boats are lethal.

Also minecarts. 

Stealing treasure from under Tiamat's very nose is less dangerous than either of those.  Or both combined, and you can bet it's one hell of a day when that happens. 

• Like 6

So I drove back home to NH to get my car inspected and see my family for Easter.  While I was here I got together with my old gaming group for some board game action (we get together too infrequently to role play).  Since none of them had played Talisman before we gave that a shot.  I know from experience that depending on how things go the game can take a while but we eventually had to quit after 6+ hours. 

We had some interesting results.  My Assassin was able to eliminate the Ghoul early on.  Unfortunately the Witch he kept landing on didn't like the blood on his hands as she turned me into a toad.  I didn't like the result so I spent a fate point to re-roll.  She was like nope: Toad you are.  So I lost all of my gear, gold and followers.  Same thing happened to me three times; rolled to be tuned into a toad, spent a fate to re-roll still a toad.  The witch also turned several other people into toads as well.

We had two guy make it to the square where they needed a talisman to enter, the Monk and Thief.  The Thief was totally outmatched by the Monk, if they duked it out there was no way he could win.  So he stole the Monk's Talisman and than used his Alchemist follower to destroy all three Talismans.  The monk was low on life so was unlikely to survive the trek back to the middle region. So we called the Thief the winner for his skullduggery.

Good time were had by all.  Next time though I think we'll play Munchkin as it should be much faster.  Assuming that I can find where my kids hid my copy.

• Like 5

I had a mage killed because of a boat before.  We were pursuing the parties nemesis, Ethran the Wanderer, determined to end his existance once and for all (again, he always was one step ahead of us).  We finally caught up to him at a wide and deep river.  he had just finished crossing in a boat and merrily waved to us from the opposite bank before disappearing into the long grass.  Looking at out map, the nearest bridge or ford was a  days travel down stream.  Not wanting to lose that much time, my mage cast a fly spell, using a magic item to sustain it.  I flew across the river tied th rope attached to the bow of the boat around my waist.  Thus connected I began towing the boat back across the river.  Shortly after leaving shore, the grassland pygmy's Ethran payed to slow us down pooped up out of the grass and opened fire upon me with bows.  Suffice to say, they rolled well, I rolled poorly and I died.  Since my item was sustaining the spell, I remained bobbing in the air like a blood stained balloon, as te current took both the boat and my corpse down stream.

Ethran escaped once again.

• Like 4

Doug, you're making me miss playing my ranger-cleric.  She was trained in the equivalent of her nation's elite naval force before becoming a cleric of an ocean deity.  Needless to say she's got enough ranks in swim that she could make a DC 10 check while wearing a chain shirt.  (And she'd be smart enough not to wear a chain shirt on board ship, too.)  <sigh>  Not that she gets the chance that often...

• Like 5

Some of my old group mates hated these kinds of things, because they have been playing for years and have seen it all blah blah blah.

And if the party has to cross every river on the map just to get to a dungeon, I agree, it's a bit much, but I also think that occasionally they need to confront this sort of thing, so they can realize how treacherous just getting there and back again can be.

• Like 6

Yeah, I don't do this all that often, either. And they've crossed many rivers and lakes with water walking. But here they were hit by a deep river in the mountains that they weren't expecting and they weren't willing to wait long enough to prepare.

And if you're going to try to put a warhorse in a glorified canoe, well ...

^_^

• Like 8

I've never had troubles with boats. Ships, ships are dangerous, but boats just need to be used smart. Unless you're in an all fired hurry, it's one case where it's okay to split the party. Ferry one bunch across, set them to making camp, while someone goes back and gets the rest 

• Like 6

That gives me ideas... happy happy ideas.  I haven't tried rivers/streams before!

• Like 1