Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Girot

I feel the pain on the phone front. I don't require much out of a phone, so I've been perfectly content with my Galaxy S that I've been toting around for 3 or so years. Recently it's started behaving oddly. It randomly reboots. I frequently have to go into the task manager and kill apps that refuse to close correctly. After RCon I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a Nexus 5. Since I have no contract, and use a prepaid service the money I save every month over my old contract will pay for the phone in less than a year, but it still hurts. 

Remember when our phones were actually just phones and a calculator?  Where the only games on it were snake and a demo of tetris.  Pepperidge Farm remembers....

Seriously though, I prefer to pay more monthly with an awesome carrier and pay like $40 for a phone than to go less per month and the rest on a phone with a service that drops calls and those other lovely things they do.  I'm not a fan of their recent swap to limited/incremental data, but I can understand why they changed it.

• Like 4

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ub3r_n3rd

• buglips*the*goblin

• Last Knight

• ShadowRaven

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been really lucky. I dropped AT&T because I was using only a fraction of the data/texts/minutes I was paying for, and I was on the low end of their plans already. I switched to Straight Talk, and I have not noticed any difference in service. 

Been with AT&T for over a decade, never have had any problems. We were grandfathered in on the unlimited data for our iPhones, but after doing some research I realized we didn't need the unlimited data and my wife was going over on our talk minutes about every other month for the last few months. I switched over to the 10GB shared data and unlimited talk/text. It was cheaper as well so I'm even happier.

So we went out and were planning on running errands yesterday which included stops by Best Buy and Michael's. Best Buy was to be so that I can return a wireless router that I bought a couple of weeks ago which randomly decides to drop signal whenever it feels like it (Linksys AC1900), this is supposed to be top of the line "future proof" and is a very expensive piece of equipment. My decision is to get the Apple AirPort Extreme, which apparently is a much better product after doing more research. The stop by Michael's was to get some pieces of art we had framed.

Off we go, my wife tells me she thinks that Michael's is probably closed for Easter and I disagree, but still think that both big chains will be open and they are right across the street form each other anyhow.

We get to Michael's, CLOSED for Easter. I'm a bit miffed, but my wife says "I told you so, the clientele that normally visits Michael's are women who are into arts/crafts and they are all at home with their kids doing Easter stuff..." We drive across the street, Best Buy is closed! This gets my goat and I go into a bit of a tirade about Easter and thinking that the only two days this store should be closed are Xmas and Thanksgiving. 

At least on Saturday we had a good Pathfinder session, so my weekend wasn't that bad.

I've had good luck with my Straight Talk so far. I get about the same coverage with it I did with AT&T. Not surprising since the SIM I bought uses AT&T service. My monthly bill was halved, so I'm happy. 

So we went out and were planning on running errands yesterday which included stops by Best Buy and Michael's. Best Buy was to be so that I can return a wireless router that I bought a couple of weeks ago which randomly decides to drop signal whenever it feels like it (Linksys AC1900), this is supposed to be top of the line "future proof" and is a very expensive piece of equipment. My decision is to get the Apple AirPort Extreme, which apparently is a much better product after doing more research. The stop by Michael's was to get some pieces of art we had framed.

Off we go, my wife tells me she thinks that Michael's is probably closed for Easter and I disagree, but still think that both big chains will be open and they are right across the street form each other anyhow.

We get to Michael's, CLOSED for Easter. I'm a bit miffed, but my wife says "I told you so, the clientele that normally visits Michael's are women who are into arts/crafts and they are all at home with their kids doing Easter stuff..." We drive across the street, Best Buy is closed! This gets my goat and I go into a bit of a tirade about Easter and thinking that the only two days this store should be closed are Xmas and Thanksgiving. 

At least on Saturday we had a good Pathfinder session, so my weekend wasn't that bad.

"We took the half a ton of garbage, put it in the back of a red VW Microbus, took shovels and rakes and implements of destruction and headed on toward the city dump.

Well we got there and there was a big sign and a chain across the dump saying, 'Closed on Thanksgiving.'

And we’d never heard of a dump closed on Thanksgiving before, and with tears in our eyes we drove off into the sunset looking for another place to put the garbage."

• Like 7

I was once asked by my Husband's sister and his mother who my teenage crush was, and I couldn't really think of one... the closet that any came to being a crush: (In that I found him attractive, and it propositioned by him, I'd probably have a hard time saying no) would be Roger Waters. 

Though it isn't quite like what their idea of a crush was. There was no swooning or dreams of him being my prince swooping in and carrying me off to happily ever after. Though I did think that it was too bad that his wife left him, and even if his own crazy is what caused her to flee, and felt she should have given him more of a chance. (Even though, her leaving might have been the precipitating event that caused him to really examine himself and what lead to the introspection and revelations that lead to The Wall_

I feel the pain on the phone front. I don't require much out of a phone, so I've been perfectly content with my Galaxy S that I've been toting around for 3 or so years. Recently it's started behaving oddly. It randomly reboots. I frequently have to go into the task manager and kill apps that refuse to close correctly. After RCon I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a Nexus 5. Since I have no contract, and use a prepaid service the money I save every month over my old contract will pay for the phone in less than a year, but it still hurts.

Remember when our phones were actually just phones and a calculator?  Where the only games on it were snake and a demo of tetris.  Pepperidge Farm remembers....

Seriously though, I prefer to pay more monthly with an awesome carrier and pay like $40 for a phone than to go less per month and the rest on a phone with a service that drops calls and those other lovely things they do.  I'm not a fan of their recent swap to limited/incremental data, but I can understand why they changed it.

I only gave up my ancient Motorola StarTac last December. And that thing was from somewhere near the year 2000.

To be honest, I miss it. I liked it better than my fancypants Samsung smartphone. But apparently it was just too old to stay on the network.

What can my old phone do? It can receive calls. Also make them. Pretty much it. Almost elegant in its simplicity, and it never once tried to correct me or decide it knew what I meant. Served me well.

I ought to get it bronzed or something.

• Like 7

yeah. I was dissapointed when I had to upgrade. make and recieve calls, and send and recieve a few texts. That's all I need in a phone. Of course I have a 4 hour flight coming up,so I may enjoy the fact I can play pool and pinball on my phone.

I've got a $40 Tracfone I've had for probably close to a dozen years, and have never in my life sent a text message, lol. The only thing I ever really use my phone for other than making calls is as an alarm clock.

Edited by Mad Jack

We got home from the Easter rounds to various family after all day chaos. My daughter (3 1/2 years old) has been acting odd since about the halfway point. We just took her temp and it is 101.6f. Tylenol, water and sleep for her. Not sure about what we plan to do for tomorrow yet.

Also, my wife just told me that whooping cough showed up at my daughter's preschool last week.

If I were to respond the way that deserves, I'd probably get moderated, so I'll just say that sucks. One of the boys in my son's Boy Scout troop fought pertussis for several months; I hope it's just one of those things kids get.

Good luck.

We got home from the Easter rounds to various family after all day chaos. My daughter (3 1/2 years old) has been acting odd since about the halfway point. We just took her temp and it is 101.6f. Tylenol, water and sleep for her. Not sure about what we plan to do for tomorrow yet.

Also, my wife just told me that whooping cough showed up at my daughter's preschool last week.

If I were to respond the way that deserves, I'd probably get moderated, so I'll just say that sucks. One of the boys in my son's Boy Scout troop fought pertussis for several months; I hope it's just one of those things kids get.

Good luck.

It is "one of those things kids get" the same way pneumonia is.  And honestly, my daughter had an easier time with pneumonia.  When we had a confirmed case in our family the entire family needed to take antibiotics.  There was quite an outbreak in Washington State (not going to get into why) a couple of years ago, which is presumably why she got it.  We never found out who/where she got it from, and only her younger sister came down with it, presumably from prolonged close contact.  Fortunately early diagnosis and antibiotics can be extremely effective.  Late diagnosis means you have to wait for ~3 months while the toxin works it's way out of your lungs. 

• Like 1