Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Girot

I'm training someone at work, which means I have to talk all night. I am not used to talking. By the time my shift was over last night my throat was sore and swollen. It was better when I woke up, but I have to do it again tonight. Talking is sooooo overrated.  ::(:  :wacko:

• Like 3

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ub3r_n3rd

• buglips*the*goblin

• Last Knight

• ShadowRaven

Top Posters In This Topic

We got home from the Easter rounds to various family after all day chaos. My daughter (3 1/2 years old) has been acting odd since about the halfway point. We just took her temp and it is 101.6f. Tylenol, water and sleep for her. Not sure about what we plan to do for tomorrow yet.

Also, my wife just told me that whooping cough showed up at my daughter's preschool last week.

If I were to respond the way that deserves, I'd probably get moderated, so I'll just say that sucks. One of the boys in my son's Boy Scout troop fought pertussis for several months; I hope it's just one of those things kids get.

Good luck.

It is "one of those things kids get" the same way pneumonia is. And honestly, my daughter had an easier time with pneumonia. When we had a confirmed case in our family the entire family needed to take antibiotics. There was quite an outbreak in Washington State (not going to get into why) a couple of years ago, which is presumably why she got it. We never found out who/where she got it from, and only her younger sister came down with it, presumably from prolonged close contact. Fortunately early diagnosis and antibiotics can be extremely effective. Late diagnosis means you have to wait for ~3 months while the toxin works it's way out of your lungs.

The first symptoms of whatever she has showed up yesterday at around 2pm (fatigue, fever and then raspy voice a couple hours later). By 8pm she had a slight cough too. Today her fever broke, but now has a greenish runny nose. I plan to take her in to her doctor tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

runny nose is, in this case, a good sign.

On a completley seperate note.

Lyrid meteor shower is at it's peak tonight. Should be a good one. It's overcast here, so I won't be able to watch, but I hope others are able to take it in.

• Like 2

I'm training someone at work, which means I have to talk all night. I am not used to talking. By the time my shift was over last night my throat was sore and swollen. It was better when I woke up, but I have to do it again tonight. Talking is sooooo overrated.  ::(:  :wacko:

I'm a little bit the opposite. Ok, not a little bit.

I tend to be a bit extroverted, and memorable. Even when I'm trying to be quiet and hide in the background. I wish I could turn it off when I needed to, but I can't. I can only modify my actions enough to not be totally socially awkward or inappropriate. Other than that, I just gotta suck it up and accept that I can't change.

For this reason, I don't expect introverts to change. But I try to recognize when I don't hear people talk much, and have found they usually have some very poignant things to say when asked, or they do speak.

• Like 6

Just noticed during one of the new Sprint "Framily" commercials that one of the kids is painting miniatures.  Couldn't make out the brand of minis though.

There is a lot of bizarre, random stuff going on in that commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TRecqzFIUM

• Dad is a talking hamster  :huh: or he has been polymorphed into a hamster.
  • The daughter speaks French, but no one else does. :ph34r:
  • There are animated bluebirds :mellow: conjured? :upside:  by the French speaking daughter?
  • The kid painting minis has a whole gaming table, with terrain, and lots minis besides the one being painted. :wow:
  • Like 5

We got home from the Easter rounds to various family after all day chaos. My daughter (3 1/2 years old) has been acting odd since about the halfway point. We just took her temp and it is 101.6f. Tylenol, water and sleep for her. Not sure about what we plan to do for tomorrow yet.

Also, my wife just told me that whooping cough showed up at my daughter's preschool last week.

If I were to respond the way that deserves, I'd probably get moderated, so I'll just say that sucks. One of the boys in my son's Boy Scout troop fought pertussis for several months; I hope it's just one of those things kids get.

Good luck.

It is "one of those things kids get" the same way pneumonia is.  And honestly, my daughter had an easier time with pneumonia.  When we had a confirmed case in our family the entire family needed to take antibiotics.  There was quite an outbreak in Washington State (not going to get into why) a couple of years ago, which is presumably why she got it.  We never found out who/where she got it from, and only her younger sister came down with it, presumably from prolonged close contact.  Fortunately early diagnosis and antibiotics can be extremely effective.  Late diagnosis means you have to wait for ~3 months while the toxin works it's way out of your lungs. 

I suspect it wasn't apparent that I meant, "one of those things that kids get" to be in contrast to pertussis, not a description of pertussis. Whooping cough is a horrible disease.

• Like 1

• The daughter speaks French, but no one else does. :ph34r:

But the others (or at least, the father) understand French. This is plausible in a bilingual family where the child wants to practice the secondary language or if they are moved to a largely French-speaking area (given she appears to be the youngest).

The rest of the ad I agree is quite bizarre.

• Like 2

I suspect it wasn't apparent that I meant, "one of those things that kids get" to be in contrast to pertussis, not a description of pertussis. Whooping cough is a horrible disease.

Ah, okay, good to know we're on the same page.  Can you tell I'm a little paranoid about pertussis?  We were very, very lucky that a) I brought her in for what appeared to be a bad cold and b) he actually tested her so they got treatment quickly.  Even with that, plus being partially immunized, there were some nights where I cringed at the terrible sound my 3 year old made when she was coughing.  I wouldn't wish that on any other human being. 

I hope all of you with health issues yourself, or have relatives with health issues get better soon!

A small selection of pictures from the elf fantasy fair I went to, I included them as links instead of pictures because they are quite large.

So the guy on the right in chainmail with a red cloak is me:

http://www.soulhunters.com/dennis/eff2014/1.jpg

There was viking rowing, and in the background the chapel of the castle

http://www.soulhunters.com/dennis/eff2014/2.jpg

Oh and the castle:

http://www.soulhunters.com/dennis/eff2014/3.jpg

Newspapers said we had about 22,000 visitors on saturday.

• Like 9