Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Girot

I had an Aunt do some family history work years ago. I am directly related to William Wallace and a famous female Irish Pirate that I would have to look up to get the name. I am not aware of similar work done on my father's side of the tree.

Interesting who we're all related to. There was some research done on my family tree some years back, and I'm related (though not directly) to Jefferson Davis, the Hatfields (of the "Hatfields and McCoys feud" fame), and Tecumseh.

• Like 1

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ub3r_n3rd

• buglips*the*goblin

• Last Knight

• ShadowRaven

Top Posters In This Topic

I bumped into Colm Meaney a few years ago in a bookstore in Calgary.

I was with my young niece while she was choosing some books, and he was there with, I presume, his young daughter.

As soon as he turned around I recognized him immediately. He quickly gathered up his daughter and went to the register to pay for her books.

I alway felt bad because it seemed like he wanted to get out of there when he saw my surprise. I wouldn't have bothered him when he was obviously with his family, but of course I've no doubt he's had some bad experiences in the past.

Also, he's a lot bigger fellow in real life than I would have expected.

Going to hit Best Buy tonight to return that wireless router/pick up the new one, pick up the framed art from Michael's, maybe grab dinner while out, and then hopefully get home in time to get some painting done on my miniature exchange. 

My father started researching family history a few years ago, several years after his father had died. His father had had the attitude of "family history is not to be discussed" and my father has found at least some of the reasons why.

After relating one tale he'd just found out about to my mother, he commented that she didn't know what sort of family she was marrying into. She countered with "You didn't know what sort of family I was marrying into."

• Like 4

I bumped into Colm Meaney a few years ago in a bookstore in Calgary.

I was with my young niece while she was choosing some books, and he was there with, I presume, his young daughter.

As soon as he turned around I recognized him immediately. He quickly gathered up his daughter and went to the register to pay for her books.

I alway felt bad because it seemed like he wanted to get out of there when he saw my surprise. I wouldn't have bothered him when he was obviously with his family, but of course I've no doubt he's had some bad experiences in the past.

Also, he's a lot bigger fellow in real life than I would have expected.

This place has a reputation for completely not caring if somebody is famous. Or simply not recognizing them at all. How many places could Harrison Ford wander around in broad daylight for 3 whole days and not be noticed?

Or when Meryl Streep left her purse at some restaurant and the owner chased after her screaming: "Miss, miss! You left yer purse!" And had no idea who a Meryl Streep was.

I saw Kevin Spacey in the line at Canadian Tire buying ice fishing tackle once. Nobody even looked at him until he asked if anyone knew where to get good bait. Everybody had an opinion on THAT.

So it maybe makes casual run-ins easier. Not great for somebody's ego, though.

• Like 5

I had an Aunt do some family history work years ago. I am directly related to William Wallace and a famous female Irish Pirate that I would have to look up to get the name. I am not aware of similar work done on my father's side of the tree.

That'd be Gráine Ní Mháille, or Gracie O'Malley, 1530-1603...

• Like 1

Whenever I meet famous people, I always just casually walk up next to them like I don't know they're famous, and then ask them something innocuous while casually addressing them by their first name...

The first time I ran into Katharine Hepburn at a coffee shop down in New Haven, I walked up to her and said, "'Scuse me, Kate, could you pass me that sugar over there?"  She handed me the sugar, smiled at me, and went right on chatting with the guy at the counter... :B):

When Bob Backlund (the old WWE wrestler) wandered into a bar I used to hang out in, I moved over so I was next to him at the bar when his beer was empty and got the bartender's attention, then ordered a beer and tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Bob, you want another one?"... And bought him a beer. ::):

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3

And when they try to claim to be someone famous, say "Oh yah, ya alway's playin' like that John. Always saying your <insert the actual celebrities name>, yeah you look a little like him, but you've always been our Johnny. So how's Phyillis doing these days?"

• Like 1

That'd be Gráine Ní Mháille, or Gracie O'Malley, 1530-1603...

That sounds right. I am fairly certain. It is remotely possible that I am mistaken and instead have read something about her in recent years. I really should find that family tree info that my Aunt sent me when I was like 15...

I met Seth Green once.

I was working in the electronics department and he came up to me and looked really familiar. Then he started talking and I knew I knew him... However I thought it was from school or maybe another job, so I talked to him like he was someone I knew, hoping that I'd figure out from where.

We talked for a while about HDTV's, cause they were new and he had some questions, then we started talking about Videogames and TV shows. He asked me if I watched Buffy The Vampire Slayer and I said no but a buddy of mine was trying to talk me into watching. He said I should and that it was a good show.

We talked a bit more, then he said he had to go but had enjoyed talking with me. It wasn't until a couple of weeks later that I realized who he was.

• Like 9

my ancestry is a bit muddled. On one side I'm related to The Kennedy's of political fame and infamy, on the other side though, much of it is a complete mystery. we think we've found an ancestor who changed their family name, but it's way unertain. Also, I've never met anyone famous.