Sign in to follow this  
Girot

Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

I am not.

I should have jumped in the shower 20 minutes ago, but I have been reading forum posts.

• Like 9

We are very much the talkative bunch. I am actually doing this while I do my homework assignment. I get to learn how to recreate a magazine page/spread. While this whole mod is on learning page layout using InDesign

I like InDesign quite a bit. I'll like it more when it adds still more stuff from Framemaker. (The addition of real cross references took far too long.)

I have to use the new version of word for when my school wants me to write papers. they are pains about that. On the other hand I got a laptop with CS6 from Adobe on it. I have had Illustrator and Photoshop classes. Really 90% of it I could likely google the answers.

In other news OneBoot is awake and stomping through with her approvals.

Word is horrible and has been horrible for decades. (See: Master Doc, for a particularly egregious example.) If I have to have a .doc file, I use OpenOffice or LibreOffice and save as .doc. XML files are so much better than the mess that is .doc.

As to Adobe help: The help system is pretty good, but since it's searchable from the web, Google finds a superset including what's in the help system. The only hard part is knowing what obscure term to use to find the result you need. (I spend most days using FrameMaker and Creative Suite and have for years.)

I noticed the Bootlikes!

Speaking of wordsmashing, I found a dusty old Smith Corona SL 500 and have just sourced a place that has affordable ribbons for it.  The ribbon in it now is, wonder of wonders, still good.  So I can begin using it right away.  Computers are unbeatable for revision, but for a first draft nothing beats the primal, violent creation of a good manual/electric with lots of noise. 

I learned on a manual, was ecstatic when I was allowed to upgrade to an electric, and you couldn't get me to touch either today without lethal force.

A trick I use when distraction is too easy while writing first drafts: Turn off the monitor. When I can't see what I've just typed, my inner editor shuts down, at least a little bit, and I can bang out stuff very quickly. (This does mean that you need to be a touch typist, of course.) The first revision is even more important to fix fat fingering, but everything is a tradeoff.

• Like 5

Ooh. Okay, that chair is ridiculously uncomfortable. I'm taking 10 and I'm on my tablet. But I banged out 7 mostly not-full-of-typos pages in a bit over an hour, so few complaints there. Quicker than I expected. Better, too.

I may have created a ritual here. Definitely have to see about a better chair, though. Definitely.

*cracks back*

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 13

*** If you don't get the last reference, several whales died in offshore ice and washed ashore recently.  One of the towns tried to sell one of the whale carcasses on eBay.

For sale: Whale, slightly used. $9,000,000 OBO. Motivated seller.

You remind me of my mother. She correct people on their grammar and correct word usage frequently. Even telling store owner when their sign is wrong and how to correct it.

As long as she's right, and not trying to correct non-errors (ending a sentence with a preposition, for instance), I fully support that effort. This turns out to be quite hard, though, since the number of peevish, incompetent amateur editors who decide "English teacher" is the ideal job is truly appalling. (And pointing said "teachers" to usage guides seems utterly useless, IME. They know what they know and they're not going to be convinced by experts or evidence, especially when they're wrong.)

• Like 10

I know someone who computed the water pressure generated by a "Decanter of endless water" in "geyser" mode. It is apparently usable as a jet pack, if physics are applied.

Best have some real good rope and rope use to strap that to a person's back!  :lol:

I happen to have a decanter of endless water. I play a 32 pound halfling.

Stomp%20of%20approval.jpg

:bday:

I think that might be my first official stomping   :bday:

(even if I did have to share it with a goblin.)

Edit: Hail time traveler!

We in the primitive wilds of Thursday salute your past-browsing prowess. Please share your future wisdom with our primitive society and join us for a rest before you return to the future.

Come, rest by our fire. Nobody in the present or future will read back here. You're safe, and these old posts won't advance past you. (Well, except for this one, and that other post from yesterday, but the rest are totally safe - you may rely upon it!)

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 10

You remind me of my mother. She correct people on their grammar and correct word usage frequently. Even telling store owner when their sign is wrong and how to correct it.

As long as she's right, and not trying to correct non-errors (ending a sentence with a preposition, for instance), I fully support that effort. This turns out to be quite hard, though, since the number of peevish, incompetent amateur editors who decide "English teacher" is the ideal job is truly appalling. (And pointing said "teachers" to usage guides seems utterly useless, IME. They know what they know and they're not going to be convinced by experts or evidence, especially when they're wrong.)

I don't know if it's true, but I heard that the prepostition at the end of a sentence rule was made up out of whole cloth by an eighteenth century pedant who loathed Shakespeare and wished to label him ungrammatical.

A surprising number of English grammar "rules" were made up by people who were trying to force English to act like Latin, the Cool Kids' Language.

For example, split infinitives. They are impossible in Latin because all infinitives are single words. "To go," for example, is "ire". So some starty-eyed Latin fan decided that English MUST NOT split infinitives.

To Farmville with that. "To boldly go" is perfectly comprehensible.

• Like 13

...this space also intentionally left blank.

:angry:

• Like 11

“And all dared to brave unknown terrors, to do mighty deeds, to boldly split infinitives that no man had split before--and thus was the Empire forged.â€

• Like 10

I really shouldn't have tried to catch up before work.

So, 6:30 am... trying to read a few posts before leaving for work...  which starts at 7 am...  I live 5 minutes from work.  The wife comes in, (something in a wad, apparently), and starts yelling at me about being responsible and getting to work on time for once.  ?Really?...

What a nice way to start the day.

• Like 8

What a nice way to start the day.

I had a fun morning as well sleeping past my alarm, missing Mass, forgetting to shave, and getting coffee spilled on me. Mutual pity high five, Bonwirn!

• Like 7

It can be fun to look at the language peeves of generations past. Many of them are so unremarkable today as to be almost entirely unnoticed.

E.g., Warren Harding was widely decried for his coining of "normalcy".

Then there are the things that are style-specific, like the serial comma or periods in initialisms or acronyms, where there is more than one correct answer. No, you don't get to decide for everyone everywhere that only one of those is correct. Even if you're really insistent.

And that's without even getting into dialect differences.

• Like 4

It rained heavily yesterday, but no tornadoes thankfully

And now there are mushrooms growing outside! I must go take pictures. Mushrooms are awesome but I don't see them very often to get pictures of them. Always good to have reference material on hand [and mushrooms are just pretty to look at, even if they're nasty to eat]

EDIT the mushrooms were a cruel lie  :down:

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 7

*** If you don't get the last reference, several whales died in offshore ice and washed ashore recently.  One of the towns tried to sell one of the whale carcasses on eBay.

For sale: Whale, slightly used. $9,000,000 OBO. Motivated seller.

No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'.

Beautiful plumage!

• Like 8

*Gets to work, makes his coffee at 8am, starts reading this thread and one hour later coffee is cold and he finally catches up*

You guys are almost as chatty at night (my night) as we are during the day (my day). Sheesh!

• Like 8