Sign in to follow this  
Girot

Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Ms. Piggy is the voice I use for when my dog speaks............she looks like she'd have a Ms. Piggy voice. 

• Like 2

Sounds like dad's experience re-watching High Plans Drifter 20 years later.

in fact when I went through some of my old books and comics I found them kind of disturbing.

All of this talk of bleakness and books have me pining for some of my old high school days.  I was really big into anything dystopian and cyberpunk-ish.  I really want to read some Steven Barnes (Street Lethal, something I can't remember, and Gorgon Child).  Even went so far as to try and find them in e-book format on Amazon but they seem not to exist in that format.  I'll have to wait until I return home and see if they survived the great paperback purge of '06.

I have a copy of Street Lethal. 

Excellent!  So now all you need to do is transcribe and email it to me!  Thanks!

And because you are Buglips and may just be crazy enough to do so:  j/k :upside:

I liked Street Lethal but enjoyed the follow on books more.  Might be because I read the second one first.

And because I'm going nuts I had to look up the actual titles:  Street Lethal, Gorgon Child and Firedance.

• Like 2

Hmm let's start this off tonight, it'd be a fun daily thing for me even if no one else cares =P I'll put out everything interesting i can remember off hand each day, and then start looking stuff up

Daily Aquatic Fun Fact #1:

The mantis shrimp uses its claws to punch its prey. It has been seen to punch hard enough to shatter the shell of a clam or crab, and has even been recorded to break aquarium glass

And they're super pretty =P

Mantis-shrimp.jpg

See this? This is what Precambrian fossils ought to be painted up looking like.

• Like 14

Non-book related:  The sperm whale carcass has floated out to sea, much to the town mayor's relief (I believe the specific phrase was:  "Not our problem now!").

One of the blue whales has been taken by the Royal Ontario Museum for skeletal preservation.  The fate of the other remains undetermined.  Debate is going on as to whether the province should pay to have it preserved.  I think yes.  It's not an essential expenditure, no, but how often does such an opportunity present?  It's a pretty rare thing and, moreover, a natural death incident.  Preserve it.  Spend the cash.

I wonder how they'll do it. The big natural history museum by me has glass terrariums full of carrion flesh-eating little beetles. When it wants an absolutely pristine skeleton it puts a body in there and the wee things pick it absolutely clean, inside and out.

The weird thing is they are almost endearing; quite small, diligent, and not at all fast-moving or swarmy.

Also it leaves a lovely clean ivory-colored undistorted skeleton.

• Like 9

I was just listening to some Nirvana, and then it hit me that In Utero, which some part of my brain still classifies as "new", is more than 20 years old.

That crackling/creaking sound you hear is coming from my old man arthritic joints. 

Sun's out today.  Mayhap it'll be a good day to sit on the porch in a rocker with a nice blanket. 

• Like 13

I love science fiction & fantasy.

I must admit I tend to avoid bleak books and movies.. they just don't appeal.

I like interesting stories that are happy, and that make me happy.  and think.  I want to be able to think about the story!

• Like 6

I was just listening to some Nirvana, and then it hit me that In Utero, which some part of my brain still classifies as "new", is more than 20 years old.

That crackling/creaking sound you hear is coming from my old man arthritic joints.

Sun's out today. Mayhap it'll be a good day to sit on the porch in a rocker with a nice blanket.

I play games to get perpective.

Like, for example, the Beatles did a cover of "The Sheik of Araby" in 1962, maybe for fun, maybe to appeal to older audiences, I dunno.

"The Sheik of Araby" dates from 1926, so it eas certainly in living memory when they recorded it in 1962. In fact, it was 36 years old.

So the Beatles doing a cover of a pop hit from the Flapper Era, the Roaring Twenties, is like someone today doing a cover of a 1978 hit, "Stayin' Alive," say.

And we are considerably farther from the Beatles now than they were from Tin Pan Alley then.

I love weird perspectives.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 8

Finally to the END! For now... 30 pages worth too.

Hmm, not big on pepper flakes. I find they tend to ramp up the spiciness without adding much in the way of flavor. So I'll put them on pizza or whatever, but most of the time I'd prefer my spiciness cooked in, as with a good Thai dish or chili or something.

My favorite spice is chipotle pepper flakes. Gives the pot a nice smokey flavor and, assuming you don't put too much in, pleasant heat. It was quite a spicey learning curve to find the "right" amount.

Really with gamers everything can be misconstrued...

I swear it is a gamer way of thinking obviously. I have not run across any gamers whose minds do not go into the gutter at the slightest and most innocent of comments

This is the same with cooks. Hubby is a cook. He's also a gamer. He enjoys the title "Pervert".

Just imagine how much worse all this crap would be with autopilot cars, delivery drones, and augmented reality. 

I'd feel much better about all that if Microsoft was not programming the OS for it all.

This will, I should note, completely destroy any chance of RCon 2015.  But I should be able to sort it out. 

Noooooo! You MUST come to reapercon! We'll all cry if we don't get our Buglips ribbons! ::(:  ::(: ::(:  ::(:  

• Like 9

Ms. Piggy is the voice I use for when my dog speaks............she looks like she'd have a Ms. Piggy voice. 

Of course the actual person who (sometimes) has a Ms. Piggy voice looks like Frank Oz...    :blink:

• Like 4

Sun's out today. Mayhap it'll be a good day to sit on the porch in a rocker with a nice blanket.

I play games to get perpective.

Like, for example, the Beatles did a cover of "The Sheik of Araby" in 1962, maybe for fun, maybe to appeal to older audiences, I dunno.

"The Sheik of Araby" dates from 1926, so it eas certainly in living memory when they recorded it in 1962. In fact, it was 36 years old.

So the Beatles doing a cover of a pop hit from the Flapper Era, the Roaring Twenties, is like someone today doing a cover of a 1978 hit, "Stayin' Alive," say.

And we are considerably farther from the Beatles now than they were from Tin Pan Alley then.

I love weird perspectives.

There was a great Reddit thread about this sort of thing a while back. My favorite was that the fax machine was invented the same year that the first wagon left on the Oregon Trail.

• Like 6

Behold my new strategy: Catching up on 5-6 page sections of this thread at random intervals. You'll never know where I will strike next! Will I reply to your most recent thoughts, or to an ancient thread, burried and forgotten since last Thursday! :ph34r:

i want sparkly tiaras for each of my heads =.=

Why lookie! I have a Bones hydra right here...

Tiamacrab's step-by-step guide to learning dragon tax evasion: 

1. Find a lair in unclaimed land, ideally in the middle of the ocean

2. Find the deepest part of said ocean, ideally a trench

3. Excavate lair to the size of your choosing, keeping in mind that the bigger it is, the higher chance sonar might find it [see step 2 to get suitably deep to avoid such annoyances]

4. Amass a suitable amount of minions to do your bidding and create a 'bio mask' for your lair, so that any reading merely shows up as a school of fish, not one gigantic dragon

5. Devour all intruders so no one that accidentally discovers you can get away to tell the tale

This seems to be plan "A" for a large number of monsters. C'thulu, Godzilla (Gojira, whatever), Tiamacrab, probably others.

I guess what I'm saying is that the bottom of the Pacific must host one heck of a block party. :bday:

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 11