Sign in to follow this  
Girot

Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Tiamacrab's step-by-step guide to learning dragon tax evasion: 

1. Find a lair in unclaimed land, ideally in the middle of the ocean

2. Find the deepest part of said ocean, ideally a trench

3. Excavate lair to the size of your choosing, keeping in mind that the bigger it is, the higher chance sonar might find it [see step 2 to get suitably deep to avoid such annoyances]

4. Amass a suitable amount of minions to do your bidding and create a 'bio mask' for your lair, so that any reading merely shows up as a school of fish, not one gigantic dragon

5. Devour all intruders so no one that accidentally discovers you can get away to tell the tale

This seems to be plan "A" for a large number of monsters. C'thulu, Godzilla (Gojira, whatever), Tiamacrab, probably others.

I guess what I'm saying is that the bottom of the Pacific must host one heck of a block party. :bday:

Invitation only.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 8

I was just listening to some Nirvana, and then it hit me that In Utero, which some part of my brain still classifies as "new", is more than 20 years old.

That crackling/creaking sound you hear is coming from my old man arthritic joints.

Sun's out today. Mayhap it'll be a good day to sit on the porch in a rocker with a nice blanket.

I play games to get perpective.

Like, for example, the Beatles did a cover of "The Sheik of Araby" in 1962, maybe for fun, maybe to appeal to older audiences, I dunno.

"The Sheik of Araby" dates from 1926, so it eas certainly in living memory when they recorded it in 1962. In fact, it was 36 years old.

So the Beatles doing a cover of a pop hit from the Flapper Era, the Roaring Twenties, is like someone today doing a cover of a 1978 hit, "Stayin' Alive," say.

And we are considerably farther from the Beatles now than they were from Tin Pan Alley then.

I love weird perspectives.

There was a great Reddit thread about this sort of thing a while back. My favorite was that the fax machine was invented the same year that the first wagon left on the Oregon Trail.

Ooh, nice!

I liked that there were still woolly mammoths alive when the first pyramids were built in Egypt.

And that at the same time the pilgrims were landing at Plymouth Rock in Massachusetts, in Santa Fe, New Mexico you could stay in a hotel, eat at a restaurant, and buy Native American silver.

I already knew, that, though. I took a history of architecture class, and the teacher showed us simultaneous architecture of the Americas: In New England, log cabins and salt box houses; in Mexico, giant baroque cathedrals.

• Like 11

Tiamacrab's step-by-step guide to learning dragon tax evasion:  1. Find a lair in unclaimed land, ideally in the middle of the ocean2. Find the deepest part of said ocean, ideally a trench3. Excavate lair to the size of your choosing, keeping in mind that the bigger it is, the higher chance sonar might find it [see step 2 to get suitably deep to avoid such annoyances]4. Amass a suitable amount of minions to do your bidding and create a 'bio mask' for your lair, so that any reading merely shows up as a school of fish, not one gigantic dragon5. Devour all intruders so no one that accidentally discovers you can get away to tell the tale

This seems to be plan "A" for a large number of monsters. C'thulu, Godzilla (Gojira, whatever), Tiamacrab, probably others. I guess what I'm saying is that the bottom of the Pacific must host one heck of a block party. :bday:

Invitation only.

Ain't no party like a Giant Monster party, cause a Giant Monster Party don't stop!

• Like 6

I already knew, that, though. I took a history of architecture class, and the teacher showed us simultaneous architecture of the Americas: In New England, log cabins and salt box houses; in Mexico, giant baroque cathedrals.

I learned about the baroque period very young. My deadbeat uncle had a great many baroque periods, and sometimes stayed on our couch. 

• Like 15

Well, congratulations, Reaper forum members. You've successfully entered my dreams.

Last night I had a dream that I was on a tour of the Amazon/Philippines (?). My guide was a small little goblin who kept a purple cat as a pet. I kid you not, our boat was attacked by people with watermelon heads. I don't remember the details of exactly what happened, but I do remember that in the end a fire sorcerer saved us.

Can you name all 4 people who appeared in my dream? I think I need to take a day off from the forums...

• Like 14

Buglips, OneBoot, Mr. Melons, er ... Gar! Flamehawke, I knew that! Thanks, redambrosia.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 10

I think I need to take a day off from the forums...

But if you do that, this thread will be neigh impossible to catch up on.

• Like 6

I dreamed about attending a convention which included the cast of the Patrick Stewart "Macbeth." We were all LARPing European court intrigues from 1814.

• Like 12

I think I need to take a day off from the forums...

But if you do that, this thread will be neigh impossible to catch up on.

*sobs*

• Like 6

Sadly, the wife doesn't let me wear fruit helmets (I tried to for Rcon but she said no). I'll make sure I tell her that I was in someone else's dream though...even if it's a dudes. Who knows...might even make her jealous =D

• Like 8

I dreamed I was on a boat, a largish car ferry, and it was in some sort of canal lock.  But then it hit something, and we all had to abandon ship.  And then when we got away, I realized that I had left my tablet.  For some reason this greatly disturbed me.  Also, for some reason, I was ten years old.  I wanted to climb up the anchor chain to get my tablet, but mom said it was too dangerous.  The ship might capsize.

Whereupon it heaved aslew with a quick lunge, and some poor guy was catapulted from it.  He bounced headfirst off the lock wall, but then appeared, seemingly completely unharmed, doggy paddling merrily in the water below.  And he was singing:

"Ah-beeg-agrekio, Pan duch-al-ah steppio!  Ree-ree, divisio, eglanmour bres achio!"  Over and over and over.

I have no idea what that was supposed to mean, but then I woke up because I was thirsty.  (Evidently the ribs I ate were of the desert variety)

• Like 11

Tiamacrab's step-by-step guide to learning dragon tax evasion: 

1. Find a lair in unclaimed land, ideally in the middle of the ocean

2. Find the deepest part of said ocean, ideally a trench

3. Excavate lair to the size of your choosing, keeping in mind that the bigger it is, the higher chance sonar might find it [see step 2 to get suitably deep to avoid such annoyances]

4. Amass a suitable amount of minions to do your bidding and create a 'bio mask' for your lair, so that any reading merely shows up as a school of fish, not one gigantic dragon

5. Devour all intruders so no one that accidentally discovers you can get away to tell the tale

This seems to be plan "A" for a large number of monsters. C'thulu, Godzilla (Gojira, whatever), Tiamacrab, probably others.

I guess what I'm saying is that the bottom of the Pacific must host one heck of a block party. :bday:

Invitation only.

See Tiamacrab's step-by-step guide to learning dragon tax evasion, #5 =P all those without an invitation gets divided up and shared among the party

if you're really unlucky, you'll just become the pinata and we take turns hitting you while you hang from the ceiling

• Like 9