Sign in to follow this  
Girot

Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

That's why there's an "Improved tax evasion" feat :P

Nah. That would be Improved Tax Avoidance.

An accountant friend of mine once told me that while tax evasion was illegal, tax avoidance was his primary purpose in life.  :upside:

If they want different behavior, they can write different laws. See also, ABC v. Aereo.

There is no moral or ethical obligation to give the government more money than the law requires. Note that I make no comment on either the converse or the inverse of that statement. (I think I'll save my opinions about the moral and ethical obligations of the writers of those laws for a different venue for the sake of comity.  ^_^ )

I've had others recommend Norton, but I downloaded the first Witch World novel as an audio book (my primary method of "reading" these days) and couldn't finish it. After he went through the portal it just didn't capture my attention. Maybe I should try actually reading it - sometimes a book just doesn't work when read aloud. Also the narrator can make a huge difference.

Aside from Witch World, what work by Norton would you suggest?

I like the Solar Queen books and Time Traders books. (And I just finished listening to Beast Master on audiobook, since it came up on an Audible sale a few weeks ago.)

I'd have to say that they're a bit dated in style today, though I still like them. And they're short enough (see the book length discussion above, in which I was actually thinking about Andre Norton, among others) that they can be read quickly.

• Like 2

Of course, having said that I'd probably enjoy GoT (seems bleak, I like bleak

Bleak is an understatement, but they're are also very well written.

Have you had an opportunity to read The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss? First two of three are out - "The Name of the Wind" and "Wise Man's Fear" with the last expected in the next year. Some bleakness, some joy, a nice level of mystery and well rounded characters.

Edited by MatrissaTheEnchantress
  • Like 7

Bryan is Kermit, obviously. Tries to keep us organized, harried by our antics. I'd say Buglips is... Gonzo. Weird little guy who does strange things and odd stunts. Either that or Lew Zealand. Pingo is Mokey Fraggle (I do not limit my choice in muppets, thank you). Cash is Sgt. Floyd Pepper. Not sure where I fit in here.

Fozzy Bear?

• Like 5

Jumping in so I hope my post isn't too redundant. Kingkiller Chronicles are great-- I second that! And along those lines is "Blood Song" by Anthony Ryan. If you're an audio book listener, it's well-done with Steven Brand as the narrator. 

• Like 4

Jim Butcher's Codex Alera is very grimdark through much of its run and quite well written, IMO*. (Though the first book is Butcher's first novel, and it shows a bit.)

I like the Kingkiller Chronicles; I just hope that Rothfuss doesn't stall out completely, like certain other authors that have been mentioned recently.

* It might help to know that for me, "well-written" has much to do with a compelling plot. If plot is not your thing, you should listen to someone whose taste matches yours better.

• Like 3

Romance novels are meh. What I like to read, from time to time, is a rollicking, raunchy "Bodice Ripper". :devil:

Plenty of those on audible too! The Blood Song fantasy novel that pretty much takes the hero-telling-a-story-to-a-scribe plot straight from Rothfuss, though it's just as entertaining. Funny coincidence, there's also a Blood Song romance novel and I only know that since I have a co-worker that listens to them at work and has to turn them down every once and awhile during "festive scenes" (a la bodice ripping). I never thought she'd get away with it, but she's remarkably subtle  ^_^

• Like 6

See my introduction was more Andre Norton (Sci-fi, fantasy and Sci-fantasy). Which then led to some Anne McCaffery and a few others. Andre Norton though was the one who wrote the books I enjoyed the most though. I still like her books a great deal, especially her Witch World series

Mine was Tolkien. I was 8 when I read The Hobbit, and 9 when I started Lord of the Rings. I didn't get around to The Silmarillion until I was 20.
My first SF Novel was Starman's Son by Andre Norton. I was 4.
  • Like 6

XD cheese elemental! Someone do it, it'd be so awesome

That would be awesome. Especially if it could be put in a vignette with some other food based monsters. Like a water elemental painted to be a milk, juice or a cola elemental. Or a beholder as a rotting apple or orange. :upside:
If I could afford some pewter mouslings would so do that diorama =P Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 7

That would be awesome. Especially if it could be put in a vignette with some other food based monsters. Like a water elemental painted to be a milk, juice or a cola elemental. Or a beholder as a rotting apple or orange. :upside:
If I could afford some pewter mouslings would so do that diorama =P

Give a mouse a cookie?

• Like 5

or surrounded by mouselings...

Oh, I should have mentioned I was assuming there would be several mouselings attacking the dreaded food monsters. 

On an unrelated note - I came in an hour early today, because we usually have an 8 AM weekly team online meeting with our counterparts located in the Finland office, only to discover it had been cancelled.  :grr:

• Like 3

or surrounded by mouselings...

Oh, I should have mentioned I was assuming there would be several mouselings attacking the dreaded food monsters. 

On an unrelated note - I came in an hour early today, because we usually have an 8 AM weekly team online meeting with our counterparts located in the Finland office, only to discover it had been cancelled.  :grr:

i understood =P

• Like 2

Romance novels are meh. What I like to read, from time to time, is a rollicking, raunchy "Bodice Ripper". :devil:

Wanted to offer up some examples, and the first thing that came to mind is:

The Pyrates by George McDonald Fraser  (Amazon.caAmazon.com)

Actually more comic-parody than bodice ripper, his Flashman books are also pretty good for rollicking, raunchy reading...

There's another one that I love and read many, many times in my 20's and early 30's that's an homage to "The Scarlet Pimpernel", but it belonged to my mother and, for the life of me, I can't remember the title or the author, but I know exactly what the book looks like (cover art, thickness of the spine, that sort of thing). If I can track it down I'll totally post the information here....

Edited by MatrissaTheEnchantress
  • Like 2