Sign in to follow this  
Girot

Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

*huffs and puffs rushing to catch up to the thread*

<_< Oi oi oi. We'll have none of that around here, tyvm.

That's so CUTE!

XD cheese elemental! Someone do it, it'd be so awesome

That would be awesome. Especially if it could be put in a vignette with some other food based monsters. Like a water elemental painted to be a milk, juice or a cola elemental. Or a beholder as a rotting apple or orange. :upside:

tumblr_mhy99gFYve1rg8ypco1_400.gif

I love the smell of books and libraries.

There I said it.

Me too!

Of course, having said that I'd probably enjoy GoT (seems bleak, I like bleak

Bleak is an understatement, but they're are also very well written.

Have you had an opportunity to read The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss? First two of three are out - "The Name of the Wind" and "Wise Man's Fear" with the last expected in the next year. Some bleakness, some joy, a nice level of mystery and well rounded characters.

I also love the Kingkiller Chronicles by Rothfuss. The other darker type of fantasy that I enjoyed reading was Joe Abercrombie's books (The First Law Trilogy is what I've ready so far, loved them).

• Like 7

That would be awesome. Especially if it could be put in a vignette with some other food based monsters. Like a water elemental painted to be a milk, juice or a cola elemental. Or a beholder as a rotting apple or orange. :upside:
If I could afford some pewter mouslings would so do that diorama =P

Bones mouselings will be available eventually!

• Like 7

If I could afford some pewter mouslings would so do that diorama =P

Bones mouselings will be available eventually!

Yes, and when they are, that diorama I shall make! I think my niece would enjoy it =P

• Like 8

*huffs and puffs rushing to catch up to the thread*

<_< Oi oi oi. We'll have none of that around here, tyvm.

That's so CUTE!

I love the smell of books and libraries.

There I said it.

Me too!

<_< No C word.

I think I'd lay on the floor of a library or barnes and noble (This place doesn't really count on account of the starbucks/cafe inside ruins the smell and paint. THAT would be my ideal place. Painting in a room that smells of books.

/dreams

I could use another bookshelf..........

• Like 7

tumblr_mhy99gFYve1rg8ypco1_400.gif

:wub:

I've been trying to think of other suitable "monsters as food" and coming up blank. Can anyone else think of other suggestions?

• Like 5

<_< No C word.

I think I'd lay on the floor of a library or barnes and noble (This place doesn't really count on account of the starbucks/cafe inside ruins the smell and paint. THAT would be my ideal place. Painting in a room that smells of books.

/dreams

I could use another bookshelf..........

Oi okay! Don't want you going crazy... :;):

Love libraries, my wife and I both love books so we've decided when we build our dream house that we'll have a huge library in it with comfortable chairs to curl up in and read books.

• Like 8

this guy has potential:

77114_w_1.jpg

not sure what he could be....jello gone bad? =P

oh wait, jello would be the gelatinous cube, duh

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 10

I've been trying to think of other suitable "monsters as food" and coming up blank. Can anyone else think of other suggestions?

Mushroom men, black puddings, gelatinous cubes?

• Like 7

The Pyrates by George McDonald Fraser  (Amazon.caAmazon.com)

(Actually, his Flashman books are also pretty good on this front...)

Since you brought up Fraser:

I highly recommend both Quartered Safe Out Here (a memoir of his time in Burma in WWII) and the McAuslan books (collected as The Complete McAuslan), which is a lightly fictionalized set of stories based on is time in the army between the end of WWII and his discharge.

Also, Steel Bonnets is a brilliant history of the border reivers on the border between England and Scotland, mostly in the 16th century.

I think I might know the history referenced in the Flashman series too well for it to be entertaining as fiction.

It might also be interesting to know that he wrote the screenplays for The Three Musketeers (1973) and The Four Musketeers (1974), among several other well-known movies. A man of many talents, one of which seems to have been curmudgeonry, which is a fine avocation for any man.  ^_^

• Like 2

Romance novels are meh. What I like to read, from time to time, is a rollicking, raunchy "Bodice Ripper". :devil:

Wanted to offer up some examples:

The Pyrates by George McDonald Fraser  (Amazon.caAmazon.com)

(Actually, his Flashman books are also pretty good on this front...)

There's another one that I love and read many, many times in my 20's and early 30's that's an homage to "The Scarlet Pimpernel", but it belonged to my mother and, for the life of me, I can't remember the title or the author, but I know exactly what the book looks like (cover art, thickness of the spine, that sort of thing). If I can track it down I'll totally post the information here....

Sometimes if you do a Google Image search including "book cover" and descriptive words you can get lucky.

• Like 1

That's why there's an "Improved tax evasion" feat :P

Nah. That would be Improved Tax Avoidance.

An accountant friend of mine once told me that while tax evasion was illegal, tax avoidance was his primary purpose in life.  :upside:

If they want different behavior, they can write different laws. See also, ABC v. Aereo.

There is no moral or ethical obligation to give the government more money than the law requires. Note that I make no comment on either the converse or the inverse of that statement. (I think I'll save my opinions about the moral and ethical obligations of the writers of those laws for a different venue for the sake of comity.  ^_^ )

Don't get me started. Aside from being able to lecture on this*, I run serious risk of ranting about the folks who write the law and regulations.

* From memory: "The legal right of a taxpayer to decrease the amount of what otherwise would be his taxes, or altogether avoid them, by means which the law permits, cannot be doubted", 293 U.S. 465, 469.

• Like 3

Yeah don't get Doug started, that conversation needs to be kept with the bees.

• Like 2