Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Girot

My husband's issue with Thai food is Gastrointestinal. He gets a serious upset stomach anytime he has ever eaten it. I have been thinking about trying to sneak it in sometime to see if there is a causation or just merely a correlation in his data set. :devil:

And as I age, I can't order it Super Thai Hot anymore. Well at some places I probably could still, if they water down even their Thai Hot. If I try to push my spicy level too much, I'm right there with my husband with Gastrointestinal issues.

Edited by Thes Hunter

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ub3r_n3rd

• buglips*the*goblin

• Last Knight

• ShadowRaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally decided to upgrade the hdd in my laptop to an ssd, 4 days later, one of my other devices has a hard drive failure... Coincidence? Well I don't know, but it sure was good to have a spare drive :p

Edited by Damenace

The confusion between HO scale and 1/72 scale is curious, given the marked difference between the two, but it has an explanation. When model railroaders first started standardizing scales, one such scale was O-scale (initially "zero-scale"), about 1/43, one of the larger model railroad scales used today, but small for the time. Smaller scales took naming conventions from O-scale but diverged geographically. OO (or "double zero") was the name for the smaller scale in Britain, while HO (or "Half O") was the name used in North America. These names derived from the fact that the gauge (the distance between rails) for both scales was half of what was used in O scale. However, the actual scales are quite different: OO is 1/76 scale, while HO is 1/87. Since model trains in HO and OO could be used on the same track, some model train manufacturers started using them interchangeably, and since OO is close to 1/72 scale, some scale model manufacturers used those interchangeably as well. This was all well and good, but then some model manufacturers, in a misapplication of the transitive property, started using 1/72 and HO interchangeably, or used OO and HO as equivalent for non-train models. Airfix, for example, started manufacturing figure sets advertised as being in "HO OO scale", which is nonsense. The confusion persists today, as some hobbyists are certain that HO and 1/72 are synonymous.

(I say this to my wife when she accuses me of being boring. It's best recited in a "box factory guy from the Simpsons" voice.)

Edited by 1Mac
  • Like 5

I'm not feeling well, and I need to leave soon to go chat up interviewees about how awesome this place is.

Maybe it's just the beginnings of a migraine...

To NSAID or Not To NSAID that is the question.

Whether tis nobler in the stomach to suffer

the Burns and Bleeds of outrageous ulcers

Or to take Aspirin against a Sea of headaches.

(Who knew Shakespeare worked for Bayer)

• Like 1

First there's the complaint about the yelling and scream room which turns out to be "intimate" yelling and screaming. Then there's the guy we have to evict because he won't turn down the volume on his... internet naughties. Then, while the police are here for that, a prostitute walks in. :rock:

WTF is happening at my hotel tonight? It's too cloudy to tell if it's a full moon... :wow:

• Like 9

Guilty Pleasure: I was able to snag an EB spot. I feel bad for whoever had to back out, but since I was at work all day, and I couldn't pledge until later (Wave 4), I'm now very very very happy to be an EB.

I pinched myself when it went through.

I pledged for 7th wave shipping, but just upgraded to 5th. I'm keeping an eye out for another earlier one (I had to pledge late due to funds, and IIRC, Amazon now holds the entire pledge amount as opposed to $1 like they did for me last year).

-Dave

• Like 1