Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Girot

I too am weary of zombies and pirates. And vampires. Bleh. So overdone. Of course, pop culture can take anything and beat it to death.

Ona really neat note, I was at Target today and saw boxes of Count Chocula, Boo-Berry, and two new cereals, a werewolf one and one I don't remember. Of course, I also don't remember what they were called... "Woof"-somethings, hehe. They even had the old packaging. /nostaliga ^_^

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ub3r_n3rd

• buglips*the*goblin

• Last Knight

• ShadowRaven

Top Posters In This Topic

The werewolf should have been "Fruit Brute."

Did they have "Yummy Mummy?"

My nostalgia for those cereals is a little different from normal. I yearned, ached for them as a child, but got homemade unsweetened granola instead, or generic cornflakes.

• Like 1

I think vampires can be cool... but small-scale cool.

I play Monsterhearts, so I'd be okay with letting a vampire into one of my games. (Wouldn't encourage it, though.)

I know vampires will be one of the supernatural creatures I write into my urban fantasy novels... (But I've never really been enough of a fan of them to make them into main characters unless I find an interesting tweak on the mythology I find fun.)

There are a few book series I've read that had interesting vampires. (Usually as side characters or background characters.)

But I will say that the glut of them that was sparked by Rice's novels and bore fruit in the last five years or so.... has certainly put me off them on a larger scale. When they become the focus of a storyline, I tend to lose interest. Though I'll probably adore Spike from Buffy forever.

When a vampire worked his way into my steampunk Western fantasy NaNoWriMo novel year before last, I made it a point to play up that he was a monster - a ravening corpse thirsting for blood, more Count Orlock than Count Dracula, more vrykolokas than vampyre. It worked out fairly well.

• Like 2

Yes, Yummy Mummy and Fruit Brute! I think there may have been a 5th one, because I swear one of them was "Woof" something. That or I'm just mis-remembering something. I'll have to ask my hubby, his memory is more accurate for that sort of thing. :unsure:

The film, Bram Stoker's Dracula is about as much romance as I can accept in a vampire film (when I'm not actively blanking every line of dialogue by Keanu Reeves). They are monsters, The vampire with a heart romantic thing worked briefly as an exception, once it became the standard it ruined everything.

• Like 1

Yes, Yummy Mummy and Fruit Brute! I think there may have been a 5th one, because I swear one of them was "Woof" something. That or I'm just mis-remembering something. I'll have to ask my hubby, his memory is more accurate for that sort of thing. :unsure:

Not being American I'm only vaguely aware of these from pop-culture references. Mostly Count Chocula and Frenken-Berry. I hadn't heard Fruit Brute before and had to google him. He's kinda preachy:

578343695_869ca97b30.jpg

He just want's it dark so you won't see him coming.

• Like 6

I like Bram Stoker's Dracula. While I don't hate Keanu Reeves, it's far from his best work. I think the main reasons I liked it were Oldman and Hopkins (with a little Dread Pirate Roberts thrown in). Tom Waits did a commendable job as Renfield too.

I agree that it's always interesting to find something that goes against the norm, but that usually leads to rapid overuse (zomg it's an evil elf that's good).

• Like 2

(when I'm not actively blanking every line of dialogue by Keanu Reeves).

Poor Keanu Reeves. :lol:

Poor Gary Oldman!

EDIT rather than double posting:

Gary Oldman was wonderful as Dracula in all three main forms in that film (Human Vlad, mad old count, fashionable young count). I love the film. It's just Keanu's slack jawed "whoa dude, it's a vampire" expression throughout that I don't like.

Edited by Nocturne

Not being American I'm only vaguely aware of these from pop-culture references. Mostly Count Chocula and Frenken-Berry. I hadn't heard Fruit Brute before and had to google him. He's kinda preachy:

578343695_869ca97b30.jpg

He just want's it dark so you won't see him coming.

Don't feel bad. I had to google wine gums the other day.

• Like 1

(when I'm not actively blanking every line of dialogue by Keanu Reeves).

Poor Keanu Reeves. :lol:

Poor Gary Oldman!

EDIT rather than double posting:

Gary Oldman was wonderful as Dracula in all three main forms in that film (Human Vlad, mad old count, fashionable young count). I love the film. It's just Keanu's slack jawed "whoa dude, it's a vampire" expression throughout that I don't like.

Bill & Ted's Undead Adventures? :wacko:

• Like 2

It took Keanu a while to get beyond the "whoa dude" in any movie. It worked ok when he was playing a surfing FBI agent (seriously?), but it didn't serve him so well in other things. He's another one of those actors that I think have matured fairly well in their ability, and most of the movies people judge them on, rightly so, were 10 or more years old. I liked Constantine, though it's not much like the source material. I also enjoyed A Scanner Darkly.

I will admit that Point Break is one of my guilty pleasures. Mostly because of the association with Hot Fuzz, but also because Patrick Swayze was a pretty solid actor. Plus it has Anthony Kiedis in it.

• Like 1