Malynor

Fading Label on Paint Bottle

I've had a bunch of fading labels on MSP bottles, which is a nuisance but not that big a deal.

Another issue I have seen with a couple of bottles, which worries me more, is that the cap turns brittle and crumbles into pieces. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have never heard or seen of a crumbling cap. All of mine (literally hundreds are fine). I did find a few faded labels last night amongst my MSPs, not as many as faded Vallejo labels though. Ultimately, for me, as long as the quality of the paint is maintained then what happens to the label is irrelevant especially when it seems to be a problem across several different manufacturers.

I've had a bunch of fading labels on MSP bottles, which is a nuisance but not that big a deal.

Another issue I have seen with a couple of bottles, which worries me more, is that the cap turns brittle and crumbles into pieces. Has anyone else experienced this?

Never experienced this with a paint bottle, but I have seen a 5 gallon paint bucket do that.

I have never heard or seen of a crumbling cap. All of mine (literally hundreds are fine). I did find a few faded labels last night amongst my MSPs, not as many as faded Vallejo labels though. Ultimately, for me, as long as the quality of the paint is maintained then what happens to the label is irrelevant especially when it seems to be a problem across several different manufacturers.

I have also seen the ink on printed materials (usually receipts) fade away.

The common environmental condition in my examples was direct sunlight and I suspect UV light was the true culprit. How much UV light :huh: are these bottles getting?

UV light is most definitely a factor. I don't think I've ever heard of any ink or dye not fading after prolonged exposure to sunlight. Some things last longer than others, but it all eventually breaks down. Think plastic lawn furniture. It lasts maybe two summers before all the colors start fading.

It's thermal printing, so that can be a factor. You may see this if a fast food place slaps your receipt between a couple burgers and you end up with a black strip of paper.

I just go over the label with a sharpie. I've got a few in my MSP sets.

I forgot to add that if you want to, it is not difficult to make your own labels that won't fade so easily. There are labels of the right size for MSP bottles that work with inkjet and laser printers, or you could use markers, pens or paint instead.

You could put together your own custom labels using word processor and/or graphics programs, and either print them yourself or get them done somewhere with a good printer. I did this for some of mine that had been obscured with price tags and vendor labels, but I printed them on regular paper, cut them out, and taped them on. It worked very well, but adhesive labels would look a little better.

I have a vague memory of someone else once reporting a problem with a breaking cap, though I could be mixing that up with a couple of people who had nozzle problems. Of all the MSPs I've used (the full set at home, lots of other bottles I've used at ReaperCon and other events) I only recall a couple of times having nozzle problems. (That's problems with the nozzle breaking, not clogging or what-have-you.)

I have had a couple of crumbled caps, but no real problems with fading labels. A few have faded a bit, but not so much that I can't read them.

There was an issue posted about this about 2 years ago...

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/43138-pointy-bottlecaps/

I have a vague memory of someone else once reporting a problem with a breaking cap, though I could be mixing that up with a couple of people who had nozzle problems. Of all the MSPs I've used (the full set at home, lots of other bottles I've used at ReaperCon and other events) I only recall a couple of times having nozzle problems. (That's problems with the nozzle breaking, not clogging or what-have-you.)

I've had severe problems with crumbling paint caps from some old Nitro Color pots, but I have never had a problem with other brands, including Reaper. If there is enough paint left in the pot, I will generally just transfer it to an empty Reaper bottle or to an Ironwind M-T, depending on what I have handy.

I have had problems with nozzles becoming loose enough to stick to the cap rather than the bottle, which makes dosing out paint a little trickier, but even that has been relatively rare.

I'm pointing out the (seemingly) obvious, but if you notice your label is starting to fade, why not just re-draw the thing with a Sharpie and be done with it?

They're printed in ink. They fade. I think there's a law of physics written somewhere that dictates that they do so. Unless your label is done by embossing or some other method of creating physical raised (or lowered) lettering, or written in 40-foot flaming letters, then it's kind of expected.

nah, the flaming letters fade too, funny how fast they run through their fuel supply

If you follow Hitchhiker's Guide, I would find it very amusing to write on your paint bottle; WE APOLOGISE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.

• Like 2