Fairytales meet The Hunger Games/Battle Royale

Atramagus

The rendered one could be cast if they wanted to spend more and do a multipart (probably what? 3 pieces: Tail, right arm and the rest) but that's less per mold and so on. Obviously Jason's is still a WIP as I assume the staff isn't supposed to be square and the money should have toes. Just saying.

I agree about rendered expectations. The reason I backed Drake is because near the end they were showing off some pretty decent casts of things. I pinged the people running this about if they were planning on multipart minis as I can already see several of theirs that can't be done as one piece.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so everyone understands why I'm so wary of Renders shown instead of actual minis, let me refer you to the latest Torn Armor Kickstarter update.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alyssafaden/torn-armor/posts/605528#comments

And here is an example of one of the renders vs the mini sculpted by well know sculptor, and Reaper regular, Jason Wiebe.

image_zps14706232.jpg

Now I'm not saying Jason's sculpt is bad, but it does vary quite a bit from the render. Due to the backlash from backers, the folks behind Torn Armour are looking at what can be done as far as creating a mini closer to the render, but they've even acknowledged themselves that it can never match perfectly due to casting requirements and limitations.

So yep. That's why I'm wary.

Manage your expectations people. I really wish I could make the people on the kickstarters comment section do just that.

I get your point about sculpts not matching concept art or renders, but I gotta say, I like the sculpted guy more than the render.

@MonkeySloth I think the render and sculpt are wearing shoes, the soft martial art style

• Like 1

I knew Jason Wiebe was going to be one of the sculptors sculpting for Torn Armour, which is one of the reasons I backed it despite only Being shown renders. Knowing his style, I had some idea of what to expect.

But folks who backed expecting more realistic proportioned minis are obviously not happy with the more cartoony style.

And that's what bothers me about the fairy tale kickstarter. I don't know who is doing the sculpting or what to expect from the production minis.

This kickstarter is just leaving me dumbfounded.

I have never seen a miniatures kickstarter where none of the backers in the comments section seems to have any interest in talking about the miniatures. They don't appear to have any interest in the miniatures at all. Many have stated as much. Even the project creator seems to have no interest in discussing the minis.

No-one is asking questions about the minis or their production. No-one is askng to see an actual mini.

It's a miniatures kickstarter, yet no miniatures have been shown, no indication of who is doing the actual sculpting. The entire comments section is taken up discussing made up characters and background stories.

Even though the creator posts comments on a regular basis, I have yet to see a mini related creator comment other than the single response they made to my post about 2000 comments ago.

Words fail me.

• Like 4

I see that Beagle has been posting over there asking questions too. I've posted again, and there's at least one other backer there who has also expressed their concern.

One of the more prolific posters there is trying to be helpful, but doesn't really understand the issues.

There's apparently to be a big unveil and/or more info about minis on Monday, but yeah, at his point I'm about ready to give up on this one and looking forward to the other KS's I've been waiting for.

I find it really annoying when one person hijacks the comments section. Ira Mayers takes first prze in this one, clearly believing he has a responsibility to respond to every other comment posting. There was something similar in the Wild West Exodus KS, it got so bad I dropped out.

I'm very wary of any miniatures offered by a company the doesn't do miniatures With the best will in the world they tend to not have a grasp on the production process and don't understand why a certain render might not work as an actual miniature or what sorts of standards people are expecting. Or at least should be expecting, it does not appear to apply in this case as it seems to be fans who will take whatever they produce.

• Like 1

I honestly find it kind of strange that this KS seems to have such raving fans, given that the base game (the first KS from this summer) hasn't been delivered yet. It's almost at $70K, with 29 days to go; what a home run! The presentation is very nice, I'll admit, but still.

I find it really annoying when one person hijacks the comments section. Ira Mayers takes first prze in this one, clearly believing he has a responsibility to respond to every other comment posting. There was something similar in the Wild West Exodus KS, it got so bad I dropped out.

Yeah, that guy is really annoying, and he isn't the only one. It wouldn't be so bad if he was actually answering in any useful fashion, but he doesn't. And worse, he seems to think he's a part of the creative team, answering things he clearly doesn't know. They really should find a nice forum somewhere to hang out. It is a pain trying to find info, you really have to dig which is a shame because there have been some useful posts, like this one collecting all the cards and art that has been revealed:

"Here is a very helpful list that one of our backers, Jared had compiled for the minis. He also created a list of the editions and posted artwork from our website so you can see the cards all in one column, rather than per artist or individually from our own list.

List of what figures have been turned into miniatures (or are shortly to be unlocked):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/13456801

Photos of cards from the 3 Fairytale Editions and 2 Expansions:

BATTLE ROYALE:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1042071/fairytale-games-the-battle-royale

FAIRYTALE EXPANSION:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1042034/fairytale-games-fairytale-expansion

LEGENDS OF TIME EXPANSION:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1042029/fairytale-games-legends-of-time-expansion

ZOMBIE EDITION:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1042022/fairytale-games-zombie-edition

HORROR EDITION:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1042016/fairytale-games-horror-edition

STEAMPUNK EDITION:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1042008/fairytale-games-steampunk-edition"

However, as annoying as the comment section is, and as many unanswered questions as there are, I'm not going anywhere. I love a lot of the concept art on those cards. I love that they have a truly global collection of myths and characters. And, other than a handful of minis from a handful of companies (like the amazing Guild of Harmony line), I don't think you can find anything like this anywhere else. I'd rather have 100 mediocre minis in this genre than the half dozen I already have. And if they turn out great, even better. The price on them is low enough I'm willing to gamble.

On projects with a useless comment section, like this one sounds to be, I often go to just reading the creator's comments out of context. You can get the full list of their comments from their profile page in KS. In this case: http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/682539325/comments

(On some projects, you also need to find the rest of the design team. Once you do, it's the same process: click on their avatar to see the projects they've backed, and then select the Comments tab. And bookmark it.)

Edited by KevinR

I think most of us are kickstarter veterans by now, and know how to track the creators comments, however the problem is that the creator isn't making any comments about the minis except for the vague replies and promises he's made in direct response to the posts those of us here have made over there.

And the project creator had been very active in the comments, its just he discusses other things, so even going through his comments is quite the chore.

• Like 3