Worst Value Kickstarter Option.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like, i feel dumb complaining about such an obviously amazing deal, and yeah its not even close to being the statistically "worst" option, monetarily, but I'm still kind of grumbly about the Nethyrmaul/Kaladrax situation. I had sort of resigned myself to just getting a vampire package, minimum wage and all that, but when given the option to trade in the Sophie (a beautiful piece, but not one I could put on a map anytime soon), I was in a position where I sort of had to choose whether to go with some of the cheaper dragons, like Ebonwrath, Kaladrax, and the There Be Dragons pack, or choose a big, flashy showpiece for the new collection with Nethyrmaul. I went with my gut to go for the biggest, baddest, most expensive guy in the lot, at the expense of the rest. So when I found out that there had been some changes to the line, and Kaladrax had doubled in size while Nethyrmaul shrank, which in turn changed their retail prices (I remember someone official-looking estimating Nethy's price to be ~$70, which was a big factor in biting that bullet), it stung a bit to have so completely backed the wrong horse.

Probably something thats been whined about 100 times before, and again, no room to complain, amazing Kickstarter, amazing figures. But still, something that had bothered me a bit.

Edited by neurotoxin

Like, i feel dumb complaining about such an obviously amazing deal, and yeah its not even close to being the statistically "worst" option, monetarily, but I'm still kind of grumbly about the Nethyrmaul/Kaladrax situation. I had sort of resigned myself to just getting a vampire package, minimum wage and all that, but when given the option to trade in the Sophie (a beautiful piece, but not one I could put on a map anytime soon), I was in a position where I sort of had to choose whether to go with some of the cheaper dragons, like Ebonwrath, Kaladrax, and the There Be Dragons pack, or choose a big, flashy showpiece for the new collection with Nethyrmaul. I went with my gut to go for the biggest, baddest, most expensive guy in the lot, at the expense of the rest. So when I found out that there had been some changes to the line, and Kaladrax had doubled in size while Nethyrmaul shrank, which in turn changed their retail prices (I remember someone official-looking estimating Nethy's price to be ~$70, which was a big factor in biting that bullet), it stung a bit to have so completely backed the wrong horse.

Probably something thats been whined about 100 times before, and again, no room to complain, amazing Kickstarter, amazing figures. But still, something that had bothered me a bit.

There were definitely some tough calls when we were locking in the orders. I probably would have got the Cthulhu had I noticed how big it was and then got the mind your Manors minis later seperately.

In the past Reaper averaged about 16 New minis a month. At that rate the subscription pledge was a good deal. I'm sure Reaper is going to grant some compensation for this level.

It's been stated elsewhere that because of the way the Bones release has taken over production, the subscription pledge is being extended till the people who got it have the equivalent of a full years run.

I think the worst value is pretty obvious. The Razig Pirate flag for $1000.

That's really a matter of perspective. If you are into pirates it was a great deal. A handsome flag that is truly on the large side of things. Again must be really into pirates.

Agreed. If you consider the $500 (retail) cost of Bones, another $500 for an awesomely huge pirate flag is not that far out there. Not for me, 'cause I'm more poor than rich, but still not a total waste.

-Dave

For the pledge value the retail of the bones ($400) is irrelevant. As a pledge it was $100 for the bones and $900 for the flag. So while $500 isn't too far out there in value (if you're that in to pirates) I can't see anything else offered in the KS that would be a worse value than $900 for a gigantic pirate flag.

I have a pirate flag on the wall in my game room, but ,IIRC, the flag offered by Reaper was massive. I am not sure that many people would have the space to hang it.

That's the only reason I didn't buy it.

Well, that, and the whole I can't afford to be spending a thousand dollars on a flag because I'm not a millionaire thing.

• Like 6

The question then becomes, how much can one normally purchase a custom flag for?

A quick google gives a 6'x10' custom flag for as much as $325. Of course that size is much smaller than Reapers 9'x13'.

Since its a question of value everything here should be taken as personal opinions. That's my opinion on the worst value option. Everyone is welcome to their own. I'm sure its pricing was very much related to how much it cost to make, I don't think that improves its value though.

A penny costs almost three cents to make. I still value it at a penny though.

• Like 2

I'm more than happy with them anyway, but seeing the Forces of Nature cheaper than I expected makes me rather keen to get more of the stone elemental... I was trying to think of what I'd consider the worst value option, but everything I can think of it just less brilliant value rather than any kind of bad value.

• Like 1