Sign in to follow this  
marceline

Making a New Sword Blade

My DM has a ton of minis from old gaming groups and I asked if I could have a go at refurbishing an out-of-commission mini. It's a classic Conan-like barbarian—no paint and likely in need of a good cleaning—but the problem is his sword is broken and the old blade is nowhere to be found.

I have green stuff but was hoping to get some advice on how to make a new sword for this guy, like how to make the blade flat, taper it to a rounded point and have it solidly bond to the original hilt. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll post pics when I make my attempt.

post-12254-0-65360500-1371280401.jpg

Generally what you'd do is get a pin rod drilled into the hilt then, once the glue is try, place a little bit of green stuff on the rod and cover the metal. Once that's dry then try and shape the sword the best you can. Once that's try file\sand down to the final shape. You can add another step between 2 and three which is to just build up a bit more green stuff (general length and with of the sword) then just make the last step thickness and making the overall shape correct.

Some people use plasticard to get the general shape of weapons but I've never done it so I can't offer advice on that method.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 1

First off, that sword looks like it was sculpted broken.

The easiest way to give him a whole sword, would be to cut off and replace the broken hilt with a whole new sword (well, minus handle). If you don't have any spares yourself, either ask a warhammer playing friend if they have any leftover chaos weapons or pick up one of reaper's weapons packs.

If I really wanted to sculpt a new blade for him, I'd do my sculpting on a flat surface and then pin my hardened replacement blade in place.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! Snipping off everything above his fist and using a sword from a Reaper weapon pack sounds easiest, but I think first I'll try sculpting something simple as well as passable separately.

Thanks, aromaticpose, for finding the original figure. I tried finding it but I guess that thing covering his junk is "Leather" and not cloth or fur. :P

Wow that is a great idea for a diorama. Him standing over a dead foe with the rest of the sword broken on the ground.

It does indeed! :D My DM simply wants one with a whole sword because an NPC enemy probably wouldn't use a stub. XD

If you ever make something like that, though, I'd love to see it!

At $4.99 I'd replace him with a new one, paint him real purty, and then say I fixed it and I'm super awesome.

(aka, Not-He-Man, Not-Conan)

Co-Man!

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 3

That is Bro-Man he is a member of the Bro-man empire the sword was a sculptor Error he was supposed to be holding an up raised funnel and tube for the beer bong.

• Like 1

Wow that is a great idea for a diorama. Him standing over a dead foe with the rest of the sword broken on the ground.

It does indeed! :D My DM simply wants one with a whole sword because an NPC enemy probably wouldn't use a stub. XD

If you ever make something like that, though, I'd love to see it!

The sad part is I probably couldn't make it break that cool if i tried

That is Bro-Man he is a member of the Bro-man empire the sword was a sculptor Error he was supposed to be holding an up raised funnel and tube for the beer bong.

That sounds like a conversion challenge!

At $4.99 I'd replace him with a new one, paint him real purty, and then say I fixed it and I'm super awesome.

I did consider that. XD

I kind of cheat and have 'press moulded' a load of sword, Axe etc. Blades from spares I have from old sprues and conversions.

I then pin the bit I want in place and tidy up the join as needed.

I've never managed to get press molds to work on something that required two sides to be done, always come off askew, so it's quite amazing to me that there are people with the patience to get it right.