• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks amazing so far. The first skull made me think of the nightmare before christmas! :)

Me too! Oh man, Jack Skellington would be such an AWESOME gaming mini, and super fun to paint!! :D

...I shall make this my new ultimate sculpting goal.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 1

The first picture was a joke, i think it looks more like a scarecrow head than a skull.

I stand by my statement that it's better than I could do. Seriously. I was the kid who's total play-dough range went from worm to snake....

But I do plan to try to learn at least some of the basic sculpting stuff. That's why I love these type of WIPs.

• Like 1

I like the one on the left as well. It does look like to need to carve out the area next to the lower jaw and the temple could be pressed in a bit as well. Skulls are more oblong than round, because when you detach it from the spine, all of the neck support that makes our heads look "right" is gone- you end up with a round shape with a jaw tacked on. Like this:

Side%20Skull%20copy.JPG

the eyes are still central, but the forehead slopes a good bit more than you would think and there's a fairly intense recess behind the eyes (serious muscle support there that needs space)

If you're just going to mount them on the base and no one will be looking at the back, consider sculpting them on a flat surface- then you'll have a more stable object to hold and can focus on the front and sides. I'll often put my greenstuff down on glass, do my sculpting and cut it off with a knife after it's cured just a bit but before it's hard- it's easier for me as I'm not really used to working teeny tiny. I agree- those sculptors are amazing- how do they do it?!

The base is looking great! I love that throne!

• Like 1

Looks amazing so far. The first skull made me think of the nightmare before christmas! :)

... Jack Skellington would be such an AWESOME gaming mini, and super fun to paint!! :D

...I shall make this my new ultimate sculpting goal.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Yes, that's a great sculpting project idea.

Ok, I must finish this project before starting another. After seeing Darkstar WIP, I can't wait to try my hand on one of the Bones model.

Thanks for the reference picture and the tips Corporea. I'll do my best to make my skulls look realistic.

So, last night I worked on smoothing the skull. It wasn't easy since they're dry and hard now. I used my craft knife and sand paper to get a more oblong shape and make the cheeks bone more prominent.

I still need to work on them, especially on the jaws and teeth. I would like to use the best one as a matrix to create punches, one of the front and one of each sides. I would then use the punches to stamp skulls all around the throne base.

Here's how it looks like so far.

post-5669-0-23178900-1376447217_thumb.jpg

post-5669-0-65105100-1376447220_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Really ambitious to sculpt all those skulls from scratch for this project, they look good for your first go at sculpting skulls

Looks like a fun project, molding/casting in silicone and resin is a great part of the hobby with tons of learning curves, but really rewarding when you can just pump out models of your own making at home for sure

• Like 1
Really ambitious to sculpt all those skulls from scratch for this project, they look good for your first go at sculpting skulls

Looks like a fun project, molding/casting in silicone and resin is a great part of the hobby with tons of learning curves, but really rewarding when you can just pump out models of your own making at home for sure

Yes, sculpting is a tedious job work. It took me a lot of time and trial to make things look the way I want. I guess speed will come after some time. But yes, it's a fun project and a nice experience.

Here are some pictures from the punches and the first skull I stamped. It's not dry yet and I'll need to clean its edge but it gives a good idea of what I'm going for.

post-5669-0-02497700-1376874679.jpg

post-5669-0-86486600-1376874679.jpg

post-5669-0-34152200-1376874719.jpg

Edited by Metalchaos
  • Like 7

The skulls are all done now. The only thing I don't like is that the teeth are not showing much. I've lost part of the details, maybe the punches started to fill up with putty.

I wonder if I should leave it like that or if it would look better if I fill the gaps around the skulls with some kind of stuc? After that, I just need to finish the pedestal and I'll be ready to create the mold.

I enhanced the contrast of the pictures to help see the details.

post-5669-0-24387300-1376961586_thumb.jpg

post-5669-0-70345500-1376961589_thumb.jpg

post-5669-0-87254500-1376961592_thumb.jpg

post-5669-0-22278800-1376961596_thumb.jpg

• Like 13