OneBoot's Bones (and other things) WIP - picture heavy!

He's done! I tried the forums a couple of times throughout the day and they were having a lot of trouble, so rather than waiting, I went ahead and finished him, though I did make sure to take pictures at every step. :) I'll try to post everything sometime tomorrow, but we'll be driving down to Utah to visit some friends for the next couple of days, and I can't promise anything. I'm just glad I finished him before our pledge arrives, he probably would have gotten shoved behind something in the excitement. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing this a couple of days after having taken the pictures is harder than I thought, so I may forget some of the details of what I did when mixing colors and how I applied the paint. I did take plenty of pictures, though, so hopefully that'll be good enough.

Next, I did the hard leathers by mixing a small amount of black into a blob of brown until it was lighter than the ground color, but darker than the soft leathers. Also, apparently I took a random picture of the resulting mixture, so here you go:

post-11389-0-14317200-1371957944_thumb.jpg

I have never been so tempted to eat paint in my life. I could practically smell chocolate the whole time I was working with this particular shade.

Anyways, here's how they turned out. I probably should have done some sort of highlighting, but I don't trust this paint enough for that sort of delicate shading. The shininess is due to the paint still being a bit wet when I took the pictures.

post-11389-0-93993500-1371958299_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-10895600-1371958350_thumb.jpg

While I was working on his leg armor, despite my previous care in checking that I was ALL DONE with a certain color before moving on...I still managed to miss the straps on his leg. I'm just glad that I didn't have to do any paint mixing to rectify the problem.

post-11389-0-97926300-1371958454_thumb.jpg

At this point, my husband was still saying that his face looked odd, even though I told him it wasn't finished yet, so I decided I was feeling generous and gave him his nose and lips back. I think I got the color, if not exact, at least close enough. I also put on a couple light touches of the skin highlight color just on the tip of his nose and the most visible part of his lips.

post-11389-0-57215300-1371958573_thumb.jpg

I did his shield next, just cuz it was there and I already had the brown out. I don't remember what color I used for the basecoat, but I think it was the same color as the hard leather because I was feeling a bit lazy. I used the #2 flat and was careful to dab off the bigger drop of paint that forms on the end of the brush when it's freshly dipped, so that I wouldn't mess up any of the drybrushed metal bits.

post-11389-0-73063700-1371958744_thumb.jpg

I added a bit of white to the hard leather color to get the highlight color for the shield, and drybrushed it on. It turned out okay, but the grain really didn't get highlighted the way I wanted it to. I might have had too much paint on the brush, I'm not sure. Also, due to the shadows in the picture, it looks better than in person. I may redo this bit, but with so many other minis to paint soon, it's unlikely to happen.

post-11389-0-01823300-1371958899_thumb.jpg

Since I move on to the fabrics at this point, I'll start a new post so this one doesn't become immense.

Huzzah!

• Like 7

I was stumped for colors to use for the bag thingies hanging off the back of his belt, since I wanted to do a yellow-ish tan, sort of a natural canvas color, but it just didn't happen despite trying several different paint combinations. I decided to settle for a light tan instead, and mixed up what I thought would be the perfect color. I learned something important after I applied the paint to him, though:

post-11389-0-95890400-1371959255_thumb.jpg

If you mix a color on a white palette, it WILL look darker than it will on your mini, especially if it has lots of darker colors on it already. This was waaay too light, and it took me 7-8 tries of mixing toothpick tip amounts of brown and black into it and holding the toothpick up to the bag before I got it as dark as I wanted.

post-11389-0-85825100-1371959398_thumb.jpg

At this point, apparently I wanted to share what my palette looked like with all the different paint mixes on it, so I took a picture. You can see the progression of bag colors top middle (the darkest shade on the right was what I ended up using for the pouch). The weird greenish orange color to the left of that was a failed color experiment. I tried mixing Steel, Gold, and touch of Orange to see if I might get a usable color out of it. Which I didn't. Not for this mini, anyways.

post-11389-0-69534300-1371959453_thumb.jpg

I'm loving this wet palette I made. It doesn't keep the paint wet for hours and hours, probably because I'm in a super dry climate and I kept the cover off the whole time, but it extended the life of the paint from a few minutes to tens of minutes, which was very nice.

For the pouch, I just kept fussing with the bag color until it was a different enough shade that it was distinct from the bag. I also used the original bag color to do the highlighting, doing a combination of painting it on and drybrushing.

post-11389-0-53620300-1371959735_thumb.jpg

To save on paint (also, being both lazy and curious) I decided to use the current bag basecoat color as the highlight color of the pouch. I liked the result, as it sort of tied the two together, colorwise, without them being color clones of each other.

post-11389-0-65806000-1371959845_thumb.jpg

Next up was his loincloth and the thread-stuff on his mace. I was originally planning on a dark forest green (my favorite color), but when I got to this point, it just didn't feel right. I tried the sample color straight, and liked it, though it was a bit on the light side. So I decided to do an experiment.

post-11389-0-97226000-1371960398_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-44023900-1371960420_thumb.jpg

Rather than higlighting (and I didn't want to risk doing a wash for the first time, with him so close to being done, and chancing ruining him completely), I decided to try a reverse highlight (a...lowshadow? Is that even a thing?). I mixed just a couple toothpick tip-fuls of black into the straight sample color and used one of the little bitty brushes to just get it into the crevices of the cloth.

post-11389-0-05712100-1371960639_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-04376900-1371960653_thumb.jpg

It turned out better than I expected, but I'm still not sure if it's a technique I'll use much in the future. The results looked more paint-y than if I'd dry-brushed on highlights, but the crevices are deep enough that it looks alright from tabletop distances.

Time to make a new post. Next up is the part I was dreading the most: his eyes!

Huzzah!

• Like 10

I forgot I did his nails next, so I'll stick that in here really quick so we can get to the fun eyes part. Just straight black, nothing fancy.

post-11389-0-34393000-1371962910_thumb.jpg

So, I know both from looking at a lot of other people's work, and also doing a bit of thinking, that the face is the first thing that people look at. I suppose that's natural, given that's what we look at when talking to someone. Anyways, all this means is that I was very nervous about getting the eyes at least decent.

I'd read in several places that the method that seems to work for a lot of people is painting an oval or pointed oval of black or dark brown to create a nice defining line around the eyes. (I forgot to take a picture of this step cuz I was too focused) Next, paint a thin strip of white across the oval. I used my very tiniest brush, the Reaper Pro Paint #30-0, to do the whole eye painting bit. I was so careful about dabbing off extra paint from the tip that I had to go back for more paint several times. I think it was worth it though:

post-11389-0-27083300-1371962003_thumb.jpg

My bugbear can see into your sooooooul.

So far, so good. Now...the pupils. I got the barest little bit of black on the tip of the brush and dabbed most of it off. A magnifying glass would have been so handy for this step. Rather than trying any sort of brush stroke movements, I just slowly and carefully brought the brush down in what looked like the middle, and just barely moved it down a wee little bit. Then I pulled the brush away to see what horrible thing I'd just done to his eye. And...it actually looked pretty good. It was off center, so he seemed to be looking off to the left rather than straight ahead, but I was okay with that.

Now, the hardest part: making his other eye seem to be looking in the same direction without his looking cross-eyed. I repeated the same procedure as I did the other eye, and miracle of miracles, it actually worked:

post-11389-0-10896400-1371962267_thumb.jpg

Don't ask me how they turned out this way. I wish I knew myself, so I could replicate the results. Needless to say, I was super happy that they happened to turn out so well. :)

I decided to do something that required a little less concentration next and whipped out the bandage around his leg. It took several tries to get just the right shade of slightly grayish white I was going for (see my revelation regarding the bag color), but I finally got what I wanted.

post-11389-0-68431100-1371962590_thumb.jpg

The highlight color was tricky, since I wanted it to still be a bit grayish, but still light enough to make a difference. It still ended up too close to the base color, but it adds just enough definition to the edges that it works.

post-11389-0-92737800-1371962683_thumb.jpg

I felt ready to tackle the next concentration heavy part, that being his teeth. Out came the #30-0 again. I used just plain white, which turned out too stark compared to the rest of his color scheme, but I'll redo them in a better color once my MSP get here next week.

post-11389-0-30452700-1371963055_thumb.jpg

I'm a monster, rawr!

Since the closest thing to red that I currently have is a bright orange, his mouth will also have to wait until next week. He'll just have to live with a black tongue until then.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 11

All I have left to do at this point is the metal studs on his belt and hard leather, and I am DONE. ::o:

I used Antique Gold and either the #30-0 or the #20-0 for the belt studs, which worked out pretty well. It didn't work so well for the armor studs, though, so I experimented with using a toothpick. That worked much better, though I still got a couple of dots that were too big. I did some clean-up work afterwards with the #30-0 and brown paint for the belt, brown/black for the armor.

post-11389-0-42168100-1371963822_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-03466100-1371963904_thumb.jpg

Something very interesting that I noticed while painting the belt was that, even though I'd used the exact same paint for the buckle as I did for the studs, they came out looking completely different. The buckle was more shiny and actually gold looking, while the studs were more of a copper color and were more dull. I couldn't figure out why until I realized that I'd drybrushed the buckle, but painted the studs. Interesting. I took a clean, dry brush to the studs on the belt and armor in an attempt to polish them a bit, and while it did make them just a bit shinier, the color didn't change.

The last thing I did was drybrush some nice dark green over the base, using the #2 flat, and generally cleaning up the areas around his feet. I didn't think it necessary to take a separate picture just of that step, because after that...

post-11389-0-43916700-1371964144_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-05337200-1371964160_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-67298500-1371964174_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-14440900-1371964191_thumb.jpg

He was done. ^_^

I'm going to wait to post him in the Show-off thread until his mouth is completely finished, but barring that (and a coat of sealer, I'm afraid to really handle him much cuz of all the craft paint), he's ready for the table!

I had SOOO much fun painting this guy. I had no idea I'd enjoy figurine painting so much, and I'm really looking forward to painting many more in the future. Also, relearning how to paint with paint that's actually the right consistency, that too. :) I'm actually kind of glad that I had so few colors to choose from with my first try, it forced me to experiment with mixing colors and try different things to get the results that I wanted, and even when things turned out not the way that I'd envisioned (like his fur), I learned to just roll with it.

If anyone has any comments, criticism or advice, please please share! While I'm extremely happy with how he turned out, I know that there's a lot I don't know yet, and that I have lots of areas of learning that need a lot more refining (such as highlighting).

I hope this WIP was fun to read and that it will be useful to somebody out there. The ones I do in the future will be a little more concise, simply because if I did a huge write-up like this for every mini, I'd never get anything done. :)

Huzzah!

• Like 18

Awesome job!

Great job on the eyes. I really like how he ended up looking left, over his shield, like he's eyeing up someone. "You lookin' at me?"

Love the enthusiasm in your posts and that you aren't afraid to experiment with colours and techniques.

Please keep up the WIPs as they are a pleasure to read.

Now, are your KS Bones there yet??

And have you decided who to tackle first?

• Like 1

Great WIP, I love seeing other people's process and the project turned out wonderfully.

One thing about replicating color recipes, keep a note book! I write everything down, even if it's "used the black from Ororo's skirt" as a reference to another page in the note book. You have to keep it right next to you so you can catch any weird additions (like the flesh wash I used on the pirate king the other day, I hadn't done that previously and would forget I did it).

• Like 2

It makes me happy that people are enjoying reading my WIP! It was a lot of fun to write, actually, and since several of you have mentioned how much you liked all the detail I put in, I'll try to continue doing so in the future. :)

@CashWiley - I sort of kept a notebook, but I got carried away with the painting part during the last half. I'm going to be recreating all the recipes anyways, since I don't plan on using craft paint on a regular basis. I'm going to need to invest in a watercolor notebook, since I saw someone's notebook (I think it was yours, actually) that had swatches of the colors you mixed up in it, as well as lots of notes, and I think that's an awesome idea, as opposed to the regular notebook I was using. :)

Now, are your KS Bones there yet??
And have you decided who to tackle first?

I actually just picked it up a few minutes ago, but I promised my husband that I'd wait until he got home from work (2.5 hours and counting) to open it, and the suspense is killing meeeeeeeee.... :wacko:

I've decided to start with rats, skeletons and zombies so that I can figure out how washes and glazes work on a simpler mini, as well as practice in pulling highlights up and shadows down. The bugbear was great as a crash course in a lot of different things, but not the easiest mini to start off with. ^_^

Huzzah!
--OneBoot :D Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 3