Pathfinder Core Rulebook

Some of you might remember back before Christmas I was trying to figure out a present for my nephew. Originally I thought maybe the D&D boxed set, until I found out how horrid it was. So, based on some recommendations and research, I opted for the Pathfinder Box Set.

Well, today I received the next stage, as his birthday is soon approaching. I got the Core Rulebook.

Wow! That thing is stacked! It's like a university textbook. So since I have it here, and it's not sealed or shrinkwrapped or anything, I've been looking through it. Y'know, it's pretty sweet. I could play this.

I might just have to pick one up for my very own.

• Like 13

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's what my group is playing (two campaigns; I GM one of them).

Personally, I love the digital versions. One of the best things about the digital copies is that when they reprint the book (the Core Rulebook is on 6th now I think) you can redownload the latest version with all the errata in place for free.

• Like 1

You'd be shocked what Survival covers too!

Oh, and Gnome Launching! My group has a half-giant and a gnome. The half-giant uses his enormous sword like a springboard/cricket bat (Strenth Check) and the Gnome uses Acrobatics to aim himself. Oh BOY is intellegent ammo useful!

Edited by Girot
  • Like 3

Pathfinder is a lot of fun. The rules are very easy to understand, and quite intuitive. plus the world of Golarian, where it is set, is really quite a lot of fun. Far less munchkined out the the Forgotten Realms for example, but with a lot more going for it then some of the other classic Dungeons and Dragons worlds as of late

• Like 1

I think any rule set will eventually reach a point where it is bloated. No matter how sweet it was starting out. I believe Pathfinder will probably get there, or may already have. However, the core books, and Golarion are amazing. I fell in love with Pathfinder on my first reading. I'm running 2e right now because I know it best, but if I ever get the chance I'll happily dive into Pathfinder and run with it.

• Like 2

Their stuff is pretty sweet, and I have the Core Rulebook, Gamemaster's Guide, Bestiaries 1,2,3, and the Advanced Race Guide. I think the latter of those got me out of jury duty once as the juror questionnaire asked what the last book was that I read, and the ARG was it. I am bald, and with a title like that for the last book I read, I expect the lawyers assumed I was a neo-Nazi or something and cut me from the pool. For the record, I am NOT a neo-Nazi.

I thought the bestiaries were worth it for the art alone. At the end of the day I have been unable to pry myself out of 1e/2e as far as games I play because that is what I know best as well.

Edited by badocter
  • Like 1

By my lights, Pathfinder is a very solid second-generation-style RPG. There are enough moving parts to make it interesting to me, but the mechanisms are clean enough to make playing usually fun. And, if you're one for whom it matters, it feels like D&D to me. (That last isn't really a selling point for me, but I know it is for many,)

It's not the game that I would play if given a free choice, but it's the game that we can agree is good enough. (I'm playing/GMing in three different campaigns right now.) That might sound like it's damning with faint praise, but I really don't intend it that way (as my wallet can attest.)