Minotaurs through the years

Remember when the minotaur was just a man with a bull's head? I was looking over my collection of minotaur miniatures and noticed how much the imagery (and size) has changed over the years:

Minotaurprogression_zps2cc270d3.jpg

The miniatures are, from left to right: Citadel Fiend Factory minotaur FF-17 (circa 1980); Reaper Dark Heaven Legends 02964 Cretus, Minotaur; Citadel Beastmen Minotaur; Citadel Doombull.

Here's a close-up of the old Citadel minotaur, which is one of the first monster miniatures I ever bought, back in 1980 or 1981 (it's been recently stripped and repainted, the original was slathered with Testors enamel gloss :blush: ):

Minotaurfront_zpsfe8627ce.jpg

Edited by Furongian
  • Like 11
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice collection. The minotaurs are probably one of the most known monster after the Werewolf and it's one of my all time favorite too.

At first I tought the Fiend Factory minotaur was from Ral Partha. You did a great work painting them.

• Like 1

Nice collection. The minotaurs are probably one of the most known monster after the Werewolf and it's one of my all time favorite too.

At first I tought the Fiend Factory minotaur was from Ral Partha. You did a great work painting them.

It's not surprising that you thought this was a Ral Partha. Citadel miniatures were distributed by Ral Partha in North America in the early '80's, so a lot of my old miniatures that I thought were Ral Partha's were actually early Citadels.

• Like 1

It's not surprising that you thought this was a Ral Partha. Citadel miniatures were distributed by Ral Partha in North America in the early '80's, so a lot of my old miniatures that I thought were Ral Partha's were actually early Citadels.

Not all of North America. In Canada both Ral Partha and Citadel were distributed by RAFM.

• Like 1

Man, GW's new models are just a mess. Look how clean the first two look by comparison. And Reaper's is not a "simple" model. It has all sorts of details, but it isn't an overcrowded pile of wreckage. Your paint is good, but those models aren't doing your work any favors. Your paint job is the best thing about those last two figures.

Man, GW's new models are just a mess. Look how clean the first two look by comparison. And Reaper's is not a "simple" model. It has all sorts of details, but it isn't an overcrowded pile of wreckage. Your paint is good, but those models aren't doing your work any favors. Your paint job is the best thing about those last two figures.

Thanks. The Doombull (the last one) is a huge metal miniature. The thing is so heavy I could probably kill someone if I threw it at them. It was also a tremendous pain to put together because the parts didn't align properly and I had to make extensive use of pins and greenstuff to get it all together.