Minis for my Dark Sun game

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few years back I took my first foray into GMing by running a Dark SUn D&D campaign for my friends. Since it was my first time behind the screen, I wanted to bring a little something else to the

I'm glad you came out of the shadows then. :) I actually did two Dark Sun minis during last year's painting challenge, so you'll see them here again.   I love that mini. I actually bought it years

On their way back from the desert well the heroes were loaded down with all the water they could carry (Dark Sun frequently measures distance in how many day's water it takes to get there. A single da

Wow, wow, WOW, I love what you're doing with contrast! Goldar looks incredible! Sure, the layers are obvious up close, but that's the idea, yes? Makes it really pop on the table, and has the added bonus of presenting that sort of (excuse the video game parlance) cel-shaded 3D look... kinda like he could have stepped out of Borderlands, for example.

• Like 1

Good stuff. Love seeing the Chainmail figures. I have lurked on Warseer for a while and am a fan of your monthly painting marathon threads. Hope to see more.

I'm glad you came out of the shadows then. :) I actually did two Dark Sun minis during last year's painting challenge, so you'll see them here again.

Absolutely brilliant work!!

We played Dark Sun briefly, this was my character model.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/jaatu/latest/02688

My DM decided that my mace/axe was an intelligent Lawful Good weapon, I kept having to leave it lying around to torture my enemies for information, or else it would hit me.

I love that mini. I actually bought it years ago with the intention of turning it into a Xeph Soulknife. Funny about the mace though, I usually think about evil weapons, so the idea of a good one (particularly in Dark Sun) would be a neat hook/foil.

Wow, wow, WOW, I love what you're doing with contrast! Goldar looks incredible! Sure, the layers are obvious up close, but that's the idea, yes? Makes it really pop on the table, and has the added bonus of presenting that sort of (excuse the video game parlance) cel-shaded 3D look... kinda like he could have stepped out of Borderlands, for example.

Thanks! I was going for an oiled, deeply tanned look with Goldar (I named him Dru'ul in the game). I figured as a gladiator would be in the sun all day, then get oiled up before a fight, like how professional body builders look during competitions.

Incidentally, if you ever name a Mul gladiator Dru'ul, be prepared for your players to rename him "Drool the Mool"

So following their stint in the arena the PCs were purchased by a rich merchant and promptly sent into the desert to reclaim a well that had been overrun by savages. After fighting their way through the sands, and an entrenched tribe they finally retook the well.

Although as it turned out, the tribe had managed to trap one of the meanest, nastiest, most universally feared & hated monsters in the world in that well: The Tembo.

There aren't any good, modern minis of the Tembo, and he's a really impressive beast, so I decided to make one myself.

Here's the source art (owned by WotC)

tembo.jpg

Here's what I ended up with:

Tembo11.jpg

Tembo12.jpg

(pardon the old picture, I shot a new one, but I'd forgotten to dust the mini first, so it looks terrible, I'll update once I get the chance)

Long story short, I started with the Reaper P-65 Sabertooth. I filed off most all the fur, modeled thick leathery hide out of greenstuff, and a new nose, and added spines. It made for a really impressive scene, and added to one of the most entertaining fights I'd ever been privy to. One of my players even said it was one of the most satisfying encounters he'd ever had at the gaming table.

~Muninn

• Like 20

On their way back from the desert well the heroes were loaded down with all the water they could carry (Dark Sun frequently measures distance in how many day's water it takes to get there. A single day without water is deadly). Unfortunately this made them a target for desert raiders, and their leader.

DS-Gnoll.jpg

This is a Chainmail Demonic Gnoll Adept, with a slight weapon modification. Instead of a flail, I converted a brass fishhook to create an Alhulak (a Dark Sun Specific hooked flail). I ended up ruining a pair for model clippers trying to modify the fishhook, and in the end jut had to model greenstuff around the eye of the hook. Just FYI in case anyone else tries to trim a hard metal material.

Other than that though, it was just a matter of figuring out what the rest of the materials on the gnoll should be. The gnolls didn't do much damage to the adventurers, but they did make away/accidentally spill half of the PC's precious water.

~Muninn

• Like 20

I really like the way your paint jobs capture the feel of a lot of the old Dark Sun art.

Thanks that's what I was going for. Back when I was just learning D&D I was introduced to Athas by a friend, and Brom's artwork really piqued my interest. The idea of Mantis-men, tall desert-dwelling elves, sturdy bald dwarves, and Sorcerer King's all resonated with me, and this was a chance to bring that to my friends.

Plus the setting shrugs away preconceived notions of how to react to things. In Greyhawk, or any other vanilla setting, you know how to respond to most monsters, but in Dark Sun a lot of the old standbys, like Goblinoids, are missing. How would the PC's react to Aarokocra (generally peaceful bird-men) as opposed to a tribe of halflings (typically savage cannibals)? Sadly, my game ended before I could explore these situations.

After their successful stint at the well their benefactor sent them back into the dessert to find out why one of his quarries had missed several shipments. He expected that his quarry boss had decided to wrest control of the mine for himself, however this theory was shot down after the boss' body was found hanging at the crossroad leading to the work-camp as a warning.

The quarry had been taken by a warlord named Sarnoff, and was now sending its materials to support his campaign. While he was not present at the camp, he had left a group of soldiers, as well as a number of stone golems.

DS-Guardians.jpg

The golems are Skorne Immortals from Warmachine Hordes by Privateer Press. They were easy to paint and looked excellent on the table top.

The creatures left controlling the camp were a pair of Pterran brothers. Pterrans are essentially humanoid dinosaurs (pterodactyls in particular) so there weren't a lot of options for minis. Fortunately I found these in my local game store.

DS-Pterrans.jpg

After painting these up I did a little research, and it turns out they're T'Skraang from a line of old Earthdawn miniatures created by the now-defunct Heartbreaker miniatures. It's almost a shame that they weren't used for their intended purpose, but they worked so nicely I can't feel too bad.

~Muninn

• Like 15

My buddy Yorrik was responsible for modeling and Painting the PC's for the Dark Sun game, and he finished all but one. For these guys he used a pretty extreme highlighting scheme which I thought worked really well with the dessert environment.

DS-PCs.jpg

From left the PCs are:

Phyrrus~ A physically and emotionally damaged Tiefling Psion (Damien, Hellborn Wizard)

Ka'si Tak'cho~ A half-elf Ardent, raised by a tribe of Kreen (Amiri, Iconic Female Human Barbarian

Bo'Bika~ An orphaned Thri Kreen Knight (Zizzix, Mantis Warrior)

Probably my favorite details are how the Ardent's hair is noticeably sunbleached, as well as the stone work on the converted double-axe (yes it's a silly idea, but in-game that weapons kills.)

~Muninn

• Like 15