Minis for my Dark Sun game

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few years back I took my first foray into GMing by running a Dark SUn D&D campaign for my friends. Since it was my first time behind the screen, I wanted to bring a little something else to the

I'm glad you came out of the shadows then. :) I actually did two Dark Sun minis during last year's painting challenge, so you'll see them here again.   I love that mini. I actually bought it years

On their way back from the desert well the heroes were loaded down with all the water they could carry (Dark Sun frequently measures distance in how many day's water it takes to get there. A single da

EDIT: I'm'a throw a hissyfit if you don't submit that to the Inspiration Gallery!!

I didn't realize that was a thing until you mentioned it. I've only been a member here for a few weeks. Is that how photos end up attached in the Miniature Galleries?

The fight at the blockade marked the end of Act 1 of my game.

Act 2 would begin at the gates of Tyr. Once the PCs had made it in, they would have found a city being eaten from the inside out. With a mercenary blockade cutting off supplies from the city the people are starting to suffer. Mobs of hungry citizens would follow the caravan closely, possibly blocking their path. (This would probably culminate in a skill challenge where they'd have to talk the people down, or lose some of their wares to looting)

Once that was over they would be summoned to a meeting by their master's contact. There they would be tested (another skill challenge) and ultimately have to face off against a powerful arcane magic user (Arcane Magic is taboo/hated in Dark Sun because if used incorrectly it destroys the world).

DS-Seer.jpg

Once they win it is revealed that they are in the midst of the Veiled Alliance, a group of renegade spellcasters intent on bringing the end of the Sorcerer Kings, and restoring the planet. It would be revealed that their master is also member of the secretive group, and that he purchased the PCs from the gladiatorial pits because two of them use Arcane magic. (One of the PCs is a Warlock, but had managed to keep it hidden, the Ardent's NPC sister is a sorcerer)

From this point forward they would be able to be agents for the VA.

This mini is a Sigmarite Auger from GW's Mordheim game. I wanted her to be mystical without being malicious looking so I painted her in light breezy colors and gave her jade weapons and accessories. Several of my players love L5R, so I figured they'd associate jade with purity & be more inclined to accept her as a good guy.

~Muninn

• Like 17

Munnin ,

Have to give you massive props not only for your painting scheme but for trying to run a Dark Sun campaign :) I have probably run at least a dozen DS campaigns since I got into it around release (I think it was the first boxed campaign I ever bought back in 91. Needless to say they almost always end before the party gets past 10th level :)

Keep on the inspiring work, I think I need to dig out those old crodlu rider mini's and repaint them while I wait for my bones stash.

• Like 1

These models are very nice and the color scheme is very near to the tones Darksun illustrations.

This summer after seven years I will play again darksun (using first edition background and pathfinder rules) and i am running in conversions

If I find also the time to paint i will surely take inspiration by these models.

• Like 1

I haven't posted to the inspiration gallery, but I did click on it and read up on it. I think if you follow the links, you can get Duneflint loaded to the gallery. It really needs to go there, and I'd like to see Reaper link it into the online store. Dig.

• Like 2

Munnin ,

Have to give you massive props not only for your painting scheme but for trying to run a Dark Sun campaign :) I have probably run at least a dozen DS campaigns since I got into it around release (I think it was the first boxed campaign I ever bought back in 91. Needless to say they almost always end before the party gets past 10th level :)

Keep on the inspiring work, I think I need to dig out those old crodlu rider mini's and repaint them while I wait for my bones stash.

Thanks, I'd love to play in one someday but nobody I know is familiar with the setting, so I figured if I wanted to be any part of a Dark Sun group I'd have to GM.

I hadn't planned out the second act as thoroughly as I had the first. I would've had a few more months to plan it out since my gaming group likes to switch games between chapters of a campaign. It helps mix it up a bit. I'd have had a few months to really flesh out the storyline and encounters.

Most of the 2nd act would occur in an evil temple in the Forest Ridge. Over the course of a few encounters they would find more clues regarding the fact the Warlord Sarnoff is searching for a powerful ancient artifact (They already have the map to the artifact(s), in the form of the Mummy's necklace)

I don't know where exactly this guy would have played into the encounters, but he probably would have been a thug working for Sarnoff.

DS-Thug.jpg

This is a Street Thug from Warlord. The one thing I did here that I still don't really feel is the leather belt at the end of the club. It doesn't totally fit. I might repaint it to make it look more like stone, but that's for another day.

~Muninn

• Like 10