Minis for my Dark Sun game

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few years back I took my first foray into GMing by running a Dark SUn D&D campaign for my friends. Since it was my first time behind the screen, I wanted to bring a little something else to the

I'm glad you came out of the shadows then. :) I actually did two Dark Sun minis during last year's painting challenge, so you'll see them here again.   I love that mini. I actually bought it years

On their way back from the desert well the heroes were loaded down with all the water they could carry (Dark Sun frequently measures distance in how many day's water it takes to get there. A single da

I really love all the minis you've posted here. My favorite has to be that Auger, though it annoys me when I find a GW figure I like, haha. You've done a fantastic job painting them all up for the Dark Sun setting. I hope you have some cute little cannibal halflings, hehe ::):

I really love all the minis you've posted here. My favorite has to be that Auger, though it annoys me when I find a GW figure I like, haha. You've done a fantastic job painting them all up for the Dark Sun setting. I hope you have some cute little cannibal halflings, hehe ::):

Actually I bought Lini, the Pathfinder druid to play the part of a halfling tribe matriarch. She's primed, but I haven't gotten around to finishing her.

Eventually the PCs would have become enough of a nuisance to the Big Bad Guy's plans that he would bring out the big guns to take them out. He would have sent the best assassin available to him: The Red Mantis.

DS-Mantis.jpg

I figured these guys would be easy to transfer into Dark Sun since there are already bug-people. The game dissolved when I was about 80% done with this guy, so I hadnt finished his blades or base. Once it was over I decided to just make the weapons metallic to make it easier on myself, otherwise I was probably going use this guy as inspiration.

~Muninn

• Like 11

I'll have to take a look at the rules & post a few. Thanks.

Continuing with the game I'd been planning, the PCs would finally interpret the key they found around the Mummy's neck, which would lead them to the mysterious temple. The would have to make it through the Ringing Mountains and into the Forest Ridge (fighting through all manner of wildlife, brigands, cannibal halflings, and probably some of the Evil Warlord's thugs no doubt).

A helpful halfling would offer to guide them to the temple. It was his tribes duty to safeguard the temple and the priests who lived there, but the priests had long since secluded themselves. They had not been heard of for generations. The PCs would open the temple to find the cloaked monks still maintaining their solemn, silent watch. Beckoning the characters into the temple it is revealed that in order to prolong their lives the priests made a pact with fell powers, and have become hopelessly corrupt. The temple is, in fact, overrun by demons.

Daemons.jpg

Flamers.jpg

I figured for a temple full of demons I might as well go big, so I'd bought a fair number of GW Chaos Daemons to populate the halls. The bloodletters would act as 2-hit minions (at the start of combat they would all appear to be cloak-clad monks, once they took a hit their daemonic nature would be revealed). The Flamers would be long-range artillery types.

Once the game ended, I was left with a ton of Daemons. As it turns out it was enough to start a warhammer army. So i figured, "why not?"

~Muninn

• Like 14

How is it that I haven't looked at this thread since the first post? These are some of the most gorgeous minis I've ever seen, both in terms of technical skill and subjective style. You've managed to perfectly capture your intended theme, and the paintjobs are incredibly evocative. The whites are especially good, and manage to have high-contrast shading while still looking white or off-white, an impressive feat that I'm still struggling with in my own painting. This thread is truly inspirational, very well done!

• Like 2

How is it that I haven't looked at this thread since the first post? These are some of the most gorgeous minis I've ever seen, both in terms of technical skill and subjective style. You've managed to perfectly capture your intended theme, and the paintjobs are incredibly evocative. The whites are especially good, and manage to have high-contrast shading while still looking white or off-white, an impressive feat that I'm still struggling with in my own painting. This thread is truly inspirational, very well done!

First thread I've ever followed. I wish I was at this table in the campaign.

• Like 1

Amazing!

One tip; no warhammer army.

Too late for that, I'm afraid. I've had my army built for over a year now. Not very competitive, but they're entertaining to play.

First thread I've ever followed. I wish I was at this table in the campaign.

It was my first go at DMing, so it probably wasn't the finest campaign. Destpite the fact it was a desert world, if was definitely not a sand-box. I'd like to think it was engaging & entertaining, but it had a set storyline. I would've liked to get through to the second act though.

Any Demon-filled temple worth its salt has a giant demon boss-fight. Who am I to buck tradition?

BThirst1.jpgBThirst2.jpg

The mini is Be'lakor from GW's Storm of Chaos campaign a few years back. He's a hair smaller than the rest of their daemon princes, but he has the perfect look. He'd have been at the heart of the temple, protecting the magic items. The fight probably would have consisted of him in the center of the room where daemonic minions would flood through portals to complicate the fight even more. you can see that I incorporated metallics into this mini, but that's just because I finished him after the Dark Sun game wrapped up. So nowadays he serves as my Bloodthirster.

~Muninn

• Like 18