Minis for my Dark Sun game

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few years back I took my first foray into GMing by running a Dark SUn D&D campaign for my friends. Since it was my first time behind the screen, I wanted to bring a little something else to the

I'm glad you came out of the shadows then. :) I actually did two Dark Sun minis during last year's painting challenge, so you'll see them here again.   I love that mini. I actually bought it years

On their way back from the desert well the heroes were loaded down with all the water they could carry (Dark Sun frequently measures distance in how many day's water it takes to get there. A single da

Really excellent work! I love what you've done to capture the Dark Sun setting.

If you end up running more adventures on the Sea of Silt, send me a PM and I can share our Ashes of Athas organized play adventures. Wizards of the Coast has allowed us to distribute them now that the campaign is over. Included in those are some pretty neat silt vessel maps we put together, including some custom silt skimmers and special rules for a Sea of Silt battle. (thought we are going back and editing those rules a bit) Anyone else interested can PM me as well to request them. I just need an e-mail address where I can send the files and your e-mail has to handle a 17 Meg or so sized file.

Back on your excellent work, I probably speak for others when I say that it would be great to hear more about how you tackle specific areas of the minis. I'm curious how you do the jade swords, your blending on things like skin/leather/carapace, and the way you do bone. Thanks!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I love combining models from as many manufacturers as I want to get the right feel. Kings to you on putting all of this together. Keep posting pics of your work as I love your paint!

so do I. Aside from the Reaper, GW, & Heartbreaker stuff I was going to branch into several others, plus a lot more Privateer Press. I'll go more into depth on that at below.

That sword is awesome!!!!!! I wish the campaign was still going to hear how ur adventurers did

Thanks, I've been doing "lava pattern" weapons ever since I saw them in a white dwarf almost a decade ago. It's actually a really easy way to make a weapon stand out.

Really excellent work! I love what you've done to capture the Dark Sun setting.

If you end up running more adventures on the Sea of Silt, send me a PM and I can share our Ashes of Athas organized play adventures. Wizards of the Coast has allowed us to distribute them now that the campaign is over. Included in those are some pretty neat silt vessel maps we put together, including some custom silt skimmers and special rules for a Sea of Silt battle. (thought we are going back and editing those rules a bit) Anyone else interested can PM me as well to request them. I just need an e-mail address where I can send the files and your e-mail has to handle a 17 Meg or so sized file.

Back on your excellent work, I probably speak for others when I say that it would be great to hear more about how you tackle specific areas of the minis. I'm curious how you do the jade swords, your blending on things like skin/leather/carapace, and the way you do bone. Thanks!

Thanks, I'd like that. Like I said, Dark Sun is one of my All-time favorite settings. I'd love to play in a game someday, but that's probably not in the cards. I'll shoot you a PM in a few days.

Where the painting tips are concerned, I'd be happy to delve a bit into that. I'll do a few posts on the steps I took for some of the paint schemes. In the meantime though, I can tell you easily about the Jade. I started with a base coat of Dark Angels Green (Caliban Green nowadays) then worked up through Jade Green (not sure if it has a current equivalent, maybe Sybarite), then mixed up through whiter and whiter highlights. Jade frequently has dark green ribbons running through the stone, so I picked a few areas I'd like to be darker, and avoided them as I worked up in the layers.

I don't think I mentioned it, but the Demon Lord was the last mini I'd prepared and painted for the Dark Sun game. The only other mini that I was holding in reserve is one that Id painted years back, probably circa 2006.

Sarnoff.jpg

I wasn't sure how he'd play out in the game, but I thought he would make a good lieutenant to the evil warlord, or possibly an enemy-turned ally at some point.

Other than that, I had been compiling lists of minis that I could collect for use in my game. Here are a few:

I thought This guy could make an excellent Warlord Sarnoff, given his stature, and the fact he has a regal, savage, arcane quality to him. This guy could do in a pinch too though. It's also possible that during the final fight it would be revealed that he'd already begun a Dragon Metamorphosis.

More Halflings for the Forest

Some horrible Monster thing. Seems aquatic, but mutants run rampant on Athas too.

Climbing over the Ringing Mountains the PCs would have encountered a tribe of Aarakocra, and their protective totem animal. If all went well they would be given a magic item that would be good for a one-time summon to get a lift from the beast.

Several more Kreen

Monsters, and insects, and Golems. (oh my)

I'd have invested pretty heavily in Circle Orboros from Privateer Press too. I won't bother posting every mini that I thought could fit for the setting, because there are a ton, but I was certainly planning on getting this, this, and oh so many of these.

Thanks to all of you who've followed my little excursion into Dark Sun. I doubt I'll ever GM Dark Sun again this edition, but I hear D&D Next is right around the corner. :)

~Muninn

Edited by Muninn
  • Like 7

That sword is awesome!!!!!! I wish the campaign was still going to hear how ur adventurers did

Thanks, I've been doing "lava pattern" weapons ever since I saw them in a white dwarf almost a decade ago. It's actually a really easy way to make a weapon stand out.

If you're doing posts on how you achieved some of your results PLEASE describe the process for the lava sword. It really is incredibly awesome!

• Like 1

If you're doing posts on how you achieved some of your results PLEASE describe the process for the lava sword. It really is incredibly awesome!

Sure, that's an easy one in fact. I shot the step by step process years ago.

Swordwip1.jpgSwordwip2.jpg

The lava scheme is pretty easy, but takes a little bit of doing. The sword above was about a ten part shading process.

From the black, paint a series of lines across the sword in Red Gore. You want it look look almost organic, so try to make it look like there are a number of roundish black shapes divided by the red.

After that it's all just blending and working up through lighter and lighter colors, staying within the original lines. It doesn't need to look super clean in terms of leaving a bit of your previous layer in every area when you highlight, it should look a little bit random at least. The progress I have here consists of:

(using the older Citadel paints)

1. Chaos Black

2. Red Gore

3. Red Gore w/ Blood Red

4. Blood Red

5. Blood Red w/ Fiery Orange

6. Fiery Orange

7. Fiery Orange w/ Bad Moon Yellow

8. Bad Moon Yellow

9. Bad Moon Yellow w/Skull White

10. Skull White

You don't have to stick to fiery colors either. I've used green for a plasma scheme, and I can see using blues for an electrical look.

Here's the first time I ever attempted the technique. A Space Marine captain.

Captain1.jpg

~Muninn

• Like 10