Bones shipping homepage banner

mikem91

And earlier he'd posted:

The counter is not moving. Kit turns it off when we aren't scheduled to come in to save bandwidth as it pings our server every 30 seconds. Only 3 of my 4 volunteers (counting me) came in, my wife came down with a cold yesterday afternoon and is home resting. I will ask Kit to ping the counter.

I believe Kit said they were using Amazon which mean's it's out on the cloud. Every time then that they ping reaper's server it breaks the cloud echosystem and thus costs Reaper a pretty penny. It's been a bit since I've had to deal with cloud pricing but I wouldn't be surprised if the counter was costing them a few grand a week.

It would surprise me. We deal with AWS a lot. I doubt they need terribly big instances and the band width cost tends to be negligible. Cloud based resources have gotten very affordable. They keep dropping rates as competitors come on line. :)

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1044339_10151797803354180_229773757_n.jp

There's me by some of the larger boxes - stuff we did yesterday. Gives you a good idea how big some of the boxes are. There's 6 Pallets so far of those, and I'm going back to it now, to see how much more I can add before supper!

Looks like we're going to need a bigger boat.....

I'm perfectly fine waiting so that Bryan and his family can go on a well-deserved vacation. Of course, my Bones are set to land on my doorstep sometime today so I might be a little bit biased...

Seriously though, go on your vacation. It might slow things down a bit, but it's not like they should come to a grinding halt. Things will still be getting packed and shipped. And that's what really matters, not the speed at which it's done.

Wow! 5500 items in 90 orders!

And seeing someone from Porto Alegre - BR while the average was 70 can assure me that mine is ready to go as well.

Yeepee!

The banner is showing me SE as most recent destination. Someone gave Reaper a coordinate as home address? There is a map to go with this one too?

I too will add in that I have no problem with getting my bones later if it will allow ReaperBryan to go on vacation with his family (unless he is looking for an excuse not to go - then back to work you!).

The same applies to all of the folks at Reaper.

I have no problem with Bryan going on vacation, but I would have a huge problem if that meant all fulfillment stopped. As long as there is someone who can lead the rest of fulfilment while he's away, then there's no real problem. Sure, that means that he may have to be near the phone for complex issues, but as important as he is in the company I would imagine he has to have his phone nearby on all vacations anyway.

Stopping all orders during that time, though, would be unacceptable.

• Like 3

FYI, Bryan commented on why they did the big orders on the weekend on KS this morning:

To be honest why we did those on the weekend was because after accidentally filling the larger Canadian orders, we discovered that for the scanners to verify every item pulled took so much longer. Since we only have 4 scanners, we can only do 4 orders at a time, so it means a lot of people standing. As it is, all weekend we did 95 orders in two days, granted with only 3 people yesterday and 6 Saturday, as opposed to 20 on a weekday, but still. Alas, until I saw the counter I thought we had done more than that- we filled 8 Pallets!

• Like 1

• Super Administrators

And earlier he'd posted:

The counter is not moving. Kit turns it off when we aren't scheduled to come in to save bandwidth as it pings our server every 30 seconds. Only 3 of my 4 volunteers (counting me) came in, my wife came down with a cold yesterday afternoon and is home resting. I will ask Kit to ping the counter.

I believe Kit said they were using Amazon which mean's it's out on the cloud. Every time then that they ping reaper's server it breaks the cloud echosystem and thus costs Reaper a pretty penny. It's been a bit since I've had to deal with cloud pricing but I wouldn't be surprised if the counter was costing them a few grand a week.

It would surprise me. We deal with AWS a lot. I doubt they need terribly big instances and the band width cost tends to be negligible. Cloud based resources have gotten very affordable. They keep dropping rates as competitors come on line. :)

I turned it off because I was tuning the database, dealing with some locking issues that came up. Fixed those. The SE was from some internal testing that I forgot to clear out. The counter is going to cost us about $60 before this is all done.

Using AWS is also a test case for me, tracking latency and whatnot. I have a new project that may be getting the Amazon treatment with a few different confederated instances. Especially as our physical hardware is hitting the ceiling again after only two years! And after I had built it to be really robust! Seriously, baddest servers I've built to date. There's something really appealing about clicking a button and magically having an extra 4 cores and 8GB of RAM at your disposal.

I digress.

• Like 12

Back in 2004 our library system caught a case of the zinc whiskers in the 'datacenter'. Rather than move stuff to a colocation at the time (nobody listens to me), they installed a couple racks of Sun servers. After rebuilding the datacenter with a redundant a/c system for the room. I don't even want to imagine the bill for that one, or how many years of what we now call cloud hosting that would have bought.

The best part? Still using the same servers today.

Let someone else deal with the backend, it's cheaper, better, and easier.