Bones shipping homepage banner

mikem91

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And earlier he'd posted:

The counter is not moving. Kit turns it off when we aren't scheduled to come in to save bandwidth as it pings our server every 30 seconds. Only 3 of my 4 volunteers (counting me) came in, my wife came down with a cold yesterday afternoon and is home resting. I will ask Kit to ping the counter.

I believe Kit said they were using Amazon which mean's it's out on the cloud. Every time then that they ping reaper's server it breaks the cloud echosystem and thus costs Reaper a pretty penny. It's been a bit since I've had to deal with cloud pricing but I wouldn't be surprised if the counter was costing them a few grand a week.

It would surprise me. We deal with AWS a lot. I doubt they need terribly big instances and the band width cost tends to be negligible. Cloud based resources have gotten very affordable. They keep dropping rates as competitors come on line. :)

I turned it off because I was tuning the database, dealing with some locking issues that came up. Fixed those. The SE was from some internal testing that I forgot to clear out. The counter is going to cost us about $60 before this is all done.

Using AWS is also a test case for me, tracking latency and whatnot. I have a new project that may be getting the Amazon treatment with a few different confederated instances. Especially as our physical hardware is hitting the ceiling again after only two years! And after I had built it to be really robust! Seriously, baddest servers I've built to date. There's something really appealing about clicking a button and magically having an extra 4 cores and 8GB of RAM at your disposal.

I digress.

That's really gone down in price. When we were looking at AWS just 2 years ago they wanted to charge something like $10 whenever you left their ecosystem and then charge a bandwidth fee on top of that.

I'm really kicking myself right now. I'm a 15 because I added 5 Mister Bones to my order for $1 a piece. Because they where cheap enough and I thought I would do something with them. I'd already have my shipment if I hadn't done that . . .

Nobody's fault but mine - just thought I'd share my "I'm an idiot" story with the rest of you.

I'm really kicking myself right now. I'm a 15 because I added 5 Mister Bones to my order for $1 a piece. Because they where cheap enough and I thought I would do something with them. I'd already have my shipment if I hadn't done that . . .

Nobody's fault but mine - just thought I'd share my "I'm an idiot" story with the rest of you.

Getting more Bones is never an "idiot" move. Who wouldn't want an army of Mister Bones?

• Super Administrators

Getting more Bones is never an "idiot" move. Who wouldn't want an army of Mister Bones?

I sense a diorama coming on!

• Like 6

Seeing "Shawnee KS" remain on the tracker page is such a tease to me, but I'm curious who nearby me bought into the Kickstarter. If they're into painting or gaming, I'd certainly like to meet. (Edit: And it changes just as I post!)

Edited by aromaticpose

More and more people in my local area have been getting their shipments, or at least their ship-notification mail. It is not making the wait easier, but I'm hanging in there.

Sadly, I suspect that my mid-20's order is going to be a late shipper, regardless of which end they work on. [Not super-huge at the top end, not in the 1-15 item majority bucket. :down: ]

Rationally, I should really find all the bones appearing around here exciting and encouraging. I'll work on that.

Edited by klarg1

Not sure if is doable, but I think they will try to ship all US before the 4th, and then box all ROW later, leaving just to USPS to pickup and wait the UPS Rep to show up and do the Canadians (no pun indented).

Indented puns cannot be placed on Canadians without first making sure they are in both English and French. ;)

I'm very very curious right now. Did they get to any 38 total item orders over the weekend? (includes vamp boxes) I thought I saw my city on the ticker, but I don't have an e-mail. I didn't want to bother them unless I had reason to believe I was supposed to.