Thrym's Mercenary Mage

Thrym

I've basecoated this guy a while back and posted him to my Springpad Notebook for Miniatures Owned pending returning to him.

I reviewed the two-brush blending, as well as glazing, and some other videos and wanted to test out some techniques.

Initial entry from Springpad:

Leisynn, Mercenaries Mage is from the Dark Heavens line at Reaper. He has excellent details including an open book.

Currently his basecoating is completed and I'll begin getting more into details and highlights. His robe has a nice level of dimension using a cardinal red then a darker red on top.

For the book, I have Micro Pens as small as they go and I have been practicing designs for the two visible pages on note cards.

I'll see if I can find those practice note cards for the book inscriptions and post pictures.

Here's Leisynn with his initial basecoating:

post-7739-0-12074300-1371763126.jpgpost-7739-0-67885000-1371763134.jpg

I liked for the most part what I got on him, so a good start IMO. He's even been used in a game night during my recent vacation.

So, first I tackled the robe back and sleeves.

post-7739-0-56992600-1371763250.jpg

I added shadows and highlighting. I might deepen those later but I like where it's at.

I then tackled the under-robe or whatever you would like to call it.

post-7739-0-56283900-1371763430.jpg

All I achieved here is to even out the tone of the brown.

You can also see from the front and back photos that I made the mantle and shoulder piece a brighter red with shading. I left the skulls the cream/tan color and glazed the ornate weave on the shoulders with the red and wiped the raised pieces back to tan/cream.

I added a darkening thinned brown to the book cover.

post-7739-0-29585700-1371763664.jpg

I wanted the skull and corner protectors to stand out a bit more. I left the pages alone as I think the initial painting there works well.

The skull is metallic gold but I think the finishing colors will be antiqued gold and some yellow burnished highlights. Same with the corners.

The skull and horns on his head and at his waist are ivory with a tan glazing added. I'll continue to step those along while messing with the figure as a whole. In the end, I really want higher contrast on those two pieces.

post-7739-0-00033900-1371763936.jpg

The snake staff ... I lightened the wood of the staff on the top and added some tan to it's face. It's got a rattle at the back which I will also maintain tan/yellow gold I think. I have considered building a color pattern on top of the scales but could easily let it drop after I get farther into the piece.

More to come as I practice on him.

As always comments, questions and criticisms welcome.

• Like 4

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic