Sign in to follow this  
ClauseRose

Neon colours?

Because I've gotten my shipping confirmation, I'm starting to cement some ideas on how I want to paint up some things. For this one,

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/astrid/sku-down/03098#detail/IG_896_1

I want to use some neon colours, specifically an electric blue, pink, and maybe orange. Anyone have tips on how to do this?
I have to run and get more paint anyway so picking up another couple isn't an issue.

(Extra points for whoever can guess my inspiration on this one)

If you're going to paint anything, my recommendation would be to do the Kickstarter minis you got, for free, before anybody else got any, in order to do the Heisler tests. That was the deal.

You shouldn't have volunteered if you weren't going to follow through, because you took them out of the hands of another volunteer who would have drummed up useful information to be shared now. Thankfully Wren pulled a nice experiment together to gather up good data for us to use (possibly out of her own pocket, I'm not sure on that) - but you still should have done them. That was months ago you were supposed to do those.

I was on the list too, but I didn't care if I got them - only that the tests got done by whoever did.

They were actually just the Michelle already available and I've had a terrible block on her, but I do have a few tests I will try out tomorrow, nothing particularly artistic, but that will definitely test how strong bones are and the difference between primed and unprimed.

Heisler was explicit in the tests to be carried out, so there's no reason for a block. You could have had that done in a day. And even if you did have a block, that's not a sufficient excuse. Now I want to be very clear that this is not a personal gripe. On a personal level, you seem like a pretty cool guy. We could hang out, have fun. But Bryan gave you free stuff on a fair 1 in 10 chance and you didn't do what you were supposed to. This actually makes me very angry. I don't care about the minis, but every volunteer on Bryan's list signed up to do specific tests Heisler listed so we would have useful information for everybody. And whether Bryan thinks so or not, I think that accepting the freebies without following through took advantage of his generosity and, moreover, that you denied the rest of the community this (at the time) essential test information.

Whatever you did with the minis after the tests was your business, but they didn't require a fancy paint job. Only that the parameters of the test protocol be followed and results posted. If I hadn't opened my orc blisters I'd have had enough on hand to have just done them when Heisler asked. The only reason I didn't was because I couldn't tell which had been washed and which not, so I couldn't guarantee the integrity of the test.

If you like, I can round up Heisler's post so you can conduct the tests now. They may still yield some helpful information.

• Like 1

I must have missed those posts. What are the Heisler tests? Color me intrigued. I've been testing paints, art materials, and recipes for decades and am always interested in a good experiment.

FWIW, I use craft paint and several of the brands have some great neon colors. You could check them out at craft stores & most Walmarts carry them.

FWIW, I use craft paint and several of the brands have some great neon colors. You could check them out at craft stores & most Walmarts carry them.

I have some fluorescent parthas I strongly suspect, at one time, glowed in the dark. Some possibly still might. I should find out, and if they do then I'm going to buy some Shadowrun go-gangers and paint them up some TRON bikes.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin

I have some fluorescent parthas I strongly suspect, at one time, glowed in the dark. Some possibly still might. I should find out, and if they do then I'm going to buy some Shadowrun go-gangers and paint them up some TRON bikes.

Fluorescent pigments are notoriously fugitive. They fade fast.

For a better and more permanent effect, I recommend glazing with intensely bright transparent colors over pale versions of the same colors, using strong side-by-side color contrasts and maybe contrasting areas of black to increase the apparent glow.

• Like 1

So let me see if I'm understanding you Pingo, as I've been curious as how to do this, paint in a pastel or desaturated color then wash with a high contrast of the same color? Or is this more like OSL painting techniques?

I've been using Vallejo Fluros.. James Wappel uses them and recommended you dont use them straight, but mix them in with another color.. his tomb kings came out awesomely and I've had good luck so far...

Back when my Dad was painting figures and doing magical effects with UV lighting, he used Humbrol Enamel Flourescent Paints. Is it worth considering enamels for this type of work, Pingo? Would they be less prone to fugitive behaviour?

Oh, and I remember that test. I was quite looking forward to the results as well.