Painting PF Iconics?

Hey all,

With the Bones KS, I would really like to use the minis in my RPGs as figures. I would also be supremely interested in making the PF iconics match as close as possible to the Paizo artwork.

To that end, is there anyone that can help out with WIPs or paint recipes? For example, how do I recreate Merisiel's skin? Or Lem's and Kyra's Cloaks?

Ultimately, I want to take this: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/previews/latest/89015

Paint it like this: http://paizo.com/image/content/RiseOfTheRunelords/Pathfinder4_Cleric02.jpg

And end up like this: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/kyra/sku-down/60015#detail/IG_592_1

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused? You want to start with an unpainted Bones mini with the end result looking like an unpainted metal mini?

You can bring out more detail in a Bones sculpt by giving it a thin wash of a dark color. I did this to a couple of Bones using a thinned mixture of Liquitex Paynes Grey, some matte medium, and water. At the right consistency you get some details easier to pick out with very little overall coloration on most parts of the mini.

Derek here.

Glad to hear that you're about to embark on painting your Pathfinder figures!

When I painted the iconics, I held up my paint-bottles next to the Wayne Reynolds artwork and chose the one that matched each item I was painting -- e.g. Kyra's robe: "No, this paint has too much purple in it; no, this paint is too gray; yes, this one is just right."

I was looking at the iconic characters as printed on the covers of the Pathfinder Adventure Path books, but you could look at the interior of the PF Core Rulebook, print a copy of the art from the Paizo website or Pathfinder Wiki, or whatever else works for you.

For the last several years, I've been keeping timesheets on the figures that I paint, and I write down the paints that I use.

If I remember right on Merisiel's skin, it was Violet Red with highlight colors from the now-discontinued Porcelain Rose triad. Her skin is very magenta-pink in the WAR art, but when you see it next to her oxblood red leather armor, it looks pretty normal. A more "normal" skin tone, however, would look dull and drab next to that leather.

I don't remember my colors for Kyra or Lem off-hand, but I'll look them up.

So, a question for you: do you own a big set of paints, and are you comfortable with mixing?

(I've been painting for 25 years but I didn't mix for the first few years; either I would use the closest color that I had or I would buy a new bottle of the unusual color that I needed.)

If you don't mix but you have a comprehensive set of paints, then you should be able to find the "right" colors the same way I did -- holding up swatches to the art.

If you don't mix and you have a limited paint selection, then I might be able to point you to the colors that I used, and you can buy them or you'll have to resign yourself to using colors that are a little off the mark.

If you do mix, then have at it!...

(@ShadowRaven: "magic paints", ha... :;): )

For now,

Derek

• Like 8

So, a question for you: do you own a big set of paints, and are you comfortable with mixing?

Woo! Reply from Derek!

To answer your question, No to the first, Yes to the second. As amazing as it would be to have 220 some-odd paints, I only have about 15.

Is there a way to reliably get color content from my computer onto a piece of paper? I'd rather not hold swatches up to my monitor, and if I print then I get a discoloration (although I guess it doesn't really matter all that much).

Must source magic brushes! Preferably ones that have an undo feature...

In any case, I find it interesting that you just used trial-and-error to some extent. Between you and Martin, I always envisioned you guys as having mystical paint powers, or the equivalent of perfect pitch but for eyeballs.

Edited by unidentifiable

Getting color on the PC accurately to the printer in a bit of black magic. You might be best buying a module featuring the character you're interested in an setting that next you your workspace.

Also, the power palette is awesome.

1) Find a pic of Paizo's favorite Stabby Ms. Stabby. Say, http://savagegolarion.wdfiles.com/local--files/merisiel/Merisiel.jpg

2) Plug the URL into the power palette.

3) POOF! The paint show up. No only their name, but also a swatch. Print that out. It's likely to be good enough.

Woo! Reply from Derek!

To answer your question, No to the first, Yes to the second. As amazing as it would be to have 220 some-odd paints, I only have about 15.

Is there a way to reliably get color content from my computer onto a piece of paper? I'd rather not hold swatches up to my monitor, and if I print then I get a discoloration (although I guess it doesn't really matter all that much).

In any case, I find it interesting that you just used trial-and-error to some extent. Between you and Martin, I always envisioned you guys as having mystical paint powers, or the equivalent of perfect pitch but for eyeballs.

15 paints! I remember having 10 paints way back in the olden days (March). A trio of LTPKs and a handful of other purchases soon sorted that out.

Woo! Reply from Derek!

15 paints! I remember having 10 paints way back in the olden days (March). A trio of LTPKs and a handful of other purchases soon sorted that out.

I have 15 paints.

Aaaand I'll just bow out of this conversation now ...

• Like 1