Sign in to follow this  
Malynor

Malynor's collection of WIPs

So, here's my plan.  I'm going to start this WIP thread, so I can track my progress from "terribad" through to "less terribad"  :unsure:

I've been painting a few months now, and I've come a fair distance from where I started.  Already progressing from "ludicrous-bad" (which I like to call "Plaid") up through "ridiculous-bad" and into "terribad".

All of my progress so far has been a little bit of brush control, and a lot of knowledge that I've gleaned from the internet - thinning paints, washing, dry-brushing, and just recently attempting some layering.  And I think with a lot of practice, and a lot more determination, and a even more help from you wonderful people, that I might actually be able to turn myself into a decent mini painter.

Bear with me, it's gonna be a rough ride.

Edited by Malynor
  • Like 2

So first up is Michelle. I thought she'd be a nice next step after LPK#2.

Some general observations: I'm not sure I like her, I mean the pose is fine, and it looks good in pictures when OTHER people paint her, but when i get in close with my brush, I'm just not sure which bits are which, the stitching stuff down the middle of her cape confuses me, the bits on her greaves and bracers I think are supposed to be plates, but I'm not sure (I painted them like it anyways). And that right arm! Almost like it was placed that way just to make it hard to paint behind; following another posters lead, I cut it off (I may or may not have laughed while doing so).

Here she is with a basecoat down. I figure the shading on the browns will help break them up a fair bit, and I think I'll steal Cash's idea of glazing with another colour just to change the shade slightly... maybe (colours confuse me). I'm going to change the yellow, it's not working for me, a friend suggested an olive green, and pointed out to me that the shirt is at the bottom too.

Michel_Base_Front.jpgMichelle_Base_Back.jpg

And here, after a friend pointed it out to me, is where I think shirt should be (excuse the bad MSpaint skills):

Michel_Base_Front_Shirt.jpg

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Pointing and laughing? It's all welcome :)

• Like 9

I like it! It is a good starting point (and liked the idea of cutting her arm off, too).

I don´t think the shirt MUST go all the way down, if you have another idea go for it.

In regarding of the yellow color, you could put some green glazes to change to a greenish yellow (can´t tell the name of this color), but if your miniature go only with browns and greens, it can be a little off. Try to add some contrast with other colors (especially if you will use to tabletop games).

You can use the Inspiration Gallery to give you some ideas of colors and what is what in the miniature.

I like the yellow, actually. Good progress so far, your base color blocking is very clean.

Are you sure that is the shirt down at the thighs there? Looks like it could be part of the leather vest, or a deprecate pice entirely.

Definately NOT terrabad...at least terragood! Lol :) the paint placement is very good so you have nothing to worry about.

I think you could paint the clothing multiple ways. As long as you are consistent you can sell it.

Looks like very clean base coating to me.

I don't have this figure, so I can't say if I agree with your friend about the lower areas you circled being part of her shirt. They look like a continuation of the leather armour to me. (Either version raises the fun question of how do you want to paint those scalloped recesses?!?)

I think the yellow base on her shirt gives you a nice contrasting shade to work with. It's easy enough to change if you don't like it at this stage! But I think something to contrast with those browns and green would work.

It's all up to you! :;): So have Fun exploring and playing with the possibilities!

Thanks for the compliments and input guys. I think tomorrow I'll give the bottom bits of her shirt/tunic a coat of the yellow and see what I think of that. While I don't like the yellow now, I think maybe a bit more of it might make it better? Like I said before, colour confuses me, and I'm still at the stage were I'm not used to everything looking like crap not right until the very end.

Edited by Malynor

Ugh. The recesses between the dags on her tunic. I remember those with a particular distaste...*checks the one in the display case*...ah, yes. I painted those recesses, and the blocky fill between and around her upper thighs, the color of her pants. It doesn't hold up to close scrutiny, but does pretty well at arm's length.

Regardless, I'll echo the sentiment that you've got a nice start. I would suggest you look for places to create contrast - the modesty panels front and back, the vertical trim at the center of her cloak. It's those points of contrast that will help it pop a bit.

Keep up what you're doing!

OK, so I've blocked in the lower parts of her tunic (I've decided that's what I'm going to call it now) with more Palomino Gold. I still need to line them, but I think it looks better than I thought it would. I'm leaning towards keeping the yellow on the tunic, and maybe going True Silver with her armbands instead of the Ancient Gold (for contrast?).

Contrast confuses me, it's a colour thing, and I just don't understand colours. I get WHAT contrast is, but I don't know how to put it into practice on a mini without turning it into a hot mess of different colours. I think a red would look good on her - Why I think that I can't tell you, there's no real logic to it (and that may be what bothers me with colour stuff) - Anyways, I think a little red would look good with the browns and green, but I wanted to keep her semi-ranger like, and I think red would stick out in a forest (that is what they colour targets right?), I might do a red glaze on parts of her armour to make a red-brown?

Blargh, too much talky-talky not enough pictures:

Michel_Base_Yellow_Front.jpgMichel_Base_Yellow_Front_Left.jpg

Michel_Base_Yellow_Back_Left.jpg

So I'm going to line in the bits I just did, and then start working on the cloak while I think about the armour/colour more.

• Like 5

She's looking really good so far.

I have the same sort of problems with colours, I try to learn colour theory but it never sinks in, so I just tend to go with what I like at that moment.

I think what some folks are talking about with contrasts are the contrasts between shadows, mid color, and highlights.

For exp: you could increase contrast in the shadows of the underside of the cloak with a darker green or add black to the base green to darken it. Make this real thin and put a light coat were you would exect shadow to be. For highlight contrast use a brighter green or add yellow or white to your base green (i prefer yellow). Again thin and wipe most of the paint from your brush. Using the edge of you brush put the light color on the top side edge of the cloak and if you like on the tops of the folds up near the shoulders where most of the light would be hitting.

You can do the same for the other colors. Put a darker aspect of the color where you would expect color and a lighter apect where you expect highlights. Once you have played with this method for awhile, then you can start playing with different colors to ahieve the shadows and highlights.

It also wouldn't hurt to pick up a cheap color wheel from Walmart to play with.

Yep, I meant both what KruleBear explained as well as contrast between colors. Sure, she's a Ranger so you don't want her to be a blazing target in the woods and wild lands . . . but go ahead and trust your instincts and play with some red. After all, it's only paint! I think Brother Jim's suggestions is right on the money for her. Yep, there's Red ~ in a bazillion variations!

Play around and have Fun with her, and the Enjoy the playing around/painting. That's the key for me anyway. Just relax and have Fun.

One thing I do if I feel it needs a certain colour (like you with the red) is to also look at stuff that's not so much red, but has some red in it. So you could use a red brown, maybe a rust colour, maybe even something from the orange family.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this