"Premium" versions of old D&D books

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Context is important, and what separates a good critic from a grumpy hack.   That's why I maintain that Sucker Punch is grotesquely underrated. It's not a movie for everybody, but there's a lot to

They were my first D&D books. Problematic thought they were, I have a certain fondness for them the way people have fondness for the (usually) terrible children's books that first got them excite

I did a search on WOTC's D&D forums for "reprints 2nd errata", and found a thread in the May 25-27,2013 range indicated there that errata was incorporated into the 2e reprints. Two posters confir

People really still get excited over the 2nd edition books?

They were my first D&D books. Problematic thought they were, I have a certain fondness for them the way people have fondness for the (usually) terrible children's books that first got them excited about reading.

Winnie the Pooh is awesome :angry:

You don't agree with Dorothy Parker?

After she gave a bad review to"Now We Are Six," she admitted that "to speak against Mr. Milne puts one immediately in the ranks of those who set fire to orphanages."

And a year lat this was her review of the just-published "The House at Pooh Corner":

The more it // Snows-tiddely-pom, // The more it // Goes-tiddely-pom // The more it // Goes-tiddely-pom // On // Snowing.

And nobody // Knows-tiddely-pom, // How cold my // Toes-tiddely-pom // How cold my // Toes-tiddely-pom // Are // Growing.

The above lyric is culled from the fifth page of Mr. A. A. Milne's new book, 'The House at Pooh Corner', for, although the work is in prose, there are frequent droppings into more cadenced whimsy. This one is designated as a "Hum," that pops into the head of Winnie-the-Pooh as he is standing outside Piglet's house in the snow, jumping up and down to keep warm. It "seemed to him a Good Hum, such as in Hummed Hopefully to Others." In fact, so Good a Hum did it seem that he and Piglet started right out through the snow to Hum it Hopefully to Eyeore. Oh, darn---there I've gone and given away the plot. Oh, I could bite my tongue out.

As they are trotting along against the flakes, Piglet begins to weaken a bit.

" 'Pooh,' he said at last and a little timidly, because he didn't want Pooh to think he was Giving In, 'I was just wondering. How would it be if we went home now and *practised* your song, and then sang it to Eyeore tomorrow---or---or the next day, when we happen to see him.'

" 'That's a very good idea, Piglet,' said Pooh. 'We'll practise it now as we go along. But it's no good going home to practise it, because it's a special Outdoor Song which Has To Be Sung In The Snow.'

" 'Are you sure?' asked Piglet anxiously.

" 'Well, you'll see, Piglet, when you listen. Because this is how it begins. 'The more it snows, tiddely-pom---' '

" 'Tiddely what?' said Piglet." (He took, as you might say, the very words out of your correspondent's mouth.)

" 'Pom,' said Pooh. 'I put that in to make it more hummy.' "

And it is that word "hummy," my darlings, that mark the first place in 'The House at Pooh Corner' at which Tonstant Weader Fwowed up.

• Like 1
  • Forum Mascot

Goblins don't have children's stories like that. For one, we don't have books. For two, most of ours have titles like "The Mad Dwarf Who Hides Under The Bed And Eats The Faces Of Goblin Girls And Boys" (it transliterates awkwardly into hooman) and "Uncle Nilbog And The Exploding Wizard" and "The More Brothers And Sisters You Have, The More Likely One Of You Gets To Be An Adult".

• Like 1

I don't agree with most critics. They're idiots. There was one for the New Yorker who reviewed Speed Racer as if it was supposed to anything other than a fun, silly movie. It's a movie about a kid who races to save to the world! Of course it's not intellectually challenging! Nit wits.

So, I don't pay attention to critics about books and movies.

• Forum Mascot

Context is important, and what separates a good critic from a grumpy hack.

That's why I maintain that Sucker Punch is grotesquely underrated. It's not a movie for everybody, but there's a lot to be enjoyed if you frame it thusly:

It's live-action Heavy Metal.

See? There's nothing in Sucker Punch that's any weirder than an astronaut in a flying classic car and a mind-melting green orb that tells a story so good it kills itself. Heavy Metal is a classic. So is Sucker Punch. It's everything HM 2000 wasn't.

ETA: When I saw a lozenge-camo'd WWI bomber appear with a remix of White Rabbit playing in the background, which led to steampunk/anime mecha and zombie germans, I actually said out loud: "Everybody who hates this movie is wrong."

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 2

I agree with Buggy on "Sucker Punch." I loved it. Not my favorite Snyder film, but a good watch.

If these Premium books were based on the original 2e books I'd probably be all in, but they seem to be based on the abominations of reprints that came out late '90s. I blame them for my HS girlfriend breaking up with me. Seriously though, I hated those reprints.

What was so wrong with the reprints? I've seen people complaining about them elsewhere, but I've never really seen a reason for it. Was it because they changed the layouts or reordered pages into something confusing? Do people just dislike the newer covers? Or is it more of the standard edition war type hate, where "it's different, therefor I hate it" seems to be a blindly chanted mantra?*

Right now I'm trying to figure out which edition of AD&D my dad likely would have played. My best guess is 1st edition, given the release date of the game and that he would have been right in the correct age group for pretty much the entire span of that edition. For 2nd edition it's also possible but it would have been during his time in the military. Though I do know he played then, since one of the guys I started playing with last year was in the same unit(and is technically a relative through marriage) and they played together some prior to being deployed to the Persian Gulf in 1990. He doesn't remember what edition it was that they played, just that they were able to get a good group of guys playing on occasion.

*I'm guilty of the edition war nonsense. It's why I don't own a single 3.5 book. I had just bought the 3E books the year before, and then they rolled out 3.5 and changed just enough to make the books not 100% compatible. Sure, in the end it was all pretty much for the better, but I didn't see it that way at the time. They just wanted to screw me over and get me to spend more money on stuff that I had essentially just bought.

• Forum Mascot

For me it's a combination of aesthetics (now all my books don't match), the lower quality of supplemental material after that period as they began to run low on ideas, and (worst offender of all) the eventual switch from faux leather binding to cardboard on the brown/blue books.

I'm the only one I know who is this picky about it, and my friends laugh at me. But I collect 2nd edition, and if it doesn't say 2nd Edition then I don't collect it. The 1995 reprints just say "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons".

I'd be tempted to sell any one of you into hard labour for a mint copy of the Al-Qadim Monstrous Compendium, but if you gave me a ninja's handbook I might use it as a coaster.

• Like 1

For me I hate the reprints for a couple of reasons. Mainly they were pointless. They hit just before 3e, and I just didn't like the look of them. In the original editions the artwork was brilliant, stylish, and classy (my opinion). In the newer editions the artwork not so much. So for me it was mostly about looks, they certainly conveyed the same information. I gave all my 2e books away to some troops a few years ago, and when I started getting interested again I managed to snag PHB and DMG from the last runs before WoTC swallowed TSR up. I realize I'm not qualified to make any judgement calls on whether WoTC switch over was for better or worse, but a lot of the magic I feel for 2e, and for AD&D is tied up in the look and feel of the original books. Just my .02.

I gave away all my monstrous compendium inserts, but kept the binder, and I now use it as my Bid [email protected]^)ed Book of Coolness in which I store all my painting handouts from Rcon, all the maps I draw, and sculpting articles. I prefer the 1e monster books.

• Forum Mascot

The disclaimer in the front of the reprints that says "This is not a new edition!" tells me they knew it was a bad idea and went ahead with it anyway. If you have to spell it out in the forward, your product will confuse people. This is bad. It's especially bad when the redo wasn't critical, or even necessary. It wasn't long after that when TSR went bankrupt, so to my list above you can add "visually signifies last gasp of TSR".

There's a lot tied up in it. I'm content to use them if they're in play, sure, but there's no place on my collect/preserve shelf for them.

• Like 1

There is only AD&D. No bloody 2nd, 3rd, or 4th editions!

Okay, we did play into 2nd edition, but we didn't get into the expansions.

Also. I've never watched Sucker Punch.

:;):

Well, I can definitely see it from a collector's point of view. A reprint is always one of those things that collectors get all cantankerous about. Heck, I'm not really a serious collector of comics, but I scoff at the color reprints of The Walking Dead comics despite not having the original B&W singles and only having trades up until about I started buying singles around issue #25.Though sometimes I think reprints need to happen. Like for my Magic: The Gathering novels. A bunch of my older ones got severely water damaged thanks to a leaky air conditioner, and now they're all bloated and warped. But they seem to stop printing them really quickly once the card set they're based on falls out of production, so I can't get replacements without spending $30+ for certain ones, when the retail price was $7.

But for people who are just playing I don't really see why they would hate a reprint. Sometimes they can cause minor arguments at tables over how the newer printing has slightly modified rules thanks to errata, but rules arguments happen over a lot of things even when you're talking about the same printings of RPG books. Heck, that new printing's errata might solve arguments for you.

Oh, and the AD&D 2E reprints were in 1995. That's 5 years before 3E came out(2000), and they didn't change anything other than the look and feel of the books themselves. Compare that to 3.5, which came out only 3 years after 3E first hit the shelves and was not only a redesign of the books, but changed a lot of the game inside too. Sure, the rules were still technically compatible, but some classes got fairly major reworks, and so we had arguments over which version to use. Eventually we managed to work out what we liked to refer to as 3.25, where we cherry picked stuff we liked better from each end, but talk about a point of contention on release...