Bones and LE difference

flaill

The type of plastic may be the same, but the black may have a dye added and this could change the resulting composition. You can see this sometimes with "molded in color" styrene models, though those seem to be less common these days. It's all from the same type of mold and process, but certain colours (white, grey, tan) tended to be sturdy; light blue tended to be softer and more easy to gouge; and colours like olive greens and dark blues could be very brittle.

Yep. Colors (pigments and dyes) aren't just optical effects, they are chemical substances which interact with and change what they're blended with. It's why knowing your ingredients is so important.

Do Bones Survive brief exposure to Acetone? If they don't melt into a messy glop, I've heard Acetone can leech out the elasticity of some plastics.

This sounds to me like an inadvisable idea. Acetone can dissolve plasticizers (which are substances that make plastics softer and more flexible) sure, but it also dissolves plastics, sometimes brutally, and the idea that one can stiffen up a piece of plastic by applying acetone to the surface sounds, well, more like a cruel joke played on the newbie in the lab than good practice.

• Like 1

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deliberately leeching the plasticisers is pretty likely to shorten the life of the miniature, too. Eventually most flexible platics lose their plasticiser and become brittle, it should take years or decades; if you leech enough to make 'em stiffen you might have knocked ten years off their useful life.

These things are all made of the same stuff, PolyVinylChloride, but there are other additives that change its characteristics. Color can be just one of these additives.

Bryan also said that the kickstarter bones will have a slightly different formula than the currently released bones, and from what I can tell, that is true. I got a lizardman from the vampire package from my FLGS, and it's club is very sturdy and the spikes would probably hurt to step on.

Halber

Do Bones Survive brief exposure to Acetone? If they don't melt into a messy glop, I've heard Acetone can leech out the elasticity of some plastics.

This sounds to me like an inadvisable idea. Acetone can dissolve plasticizers (which are substances that make plastics softer and more flexible) sure, but it also dissolves plastics, sometimes brutally, and the idea that one can stiffen up a piece of plastic by applying acetone to the surface sounds, well, more like a cruel joke played on the newbie in the lab than good practice.

Omelette. Eggs. That is why I specifically said " If they don't melt into a messy glop"

Edited by scorpio616

I feel like also pointing out that you should take some precautions if you're undergoing this experiment. I'm no chemist, but I know that chemical reactions often cause fumes that could be harmful. Do it outside or by a window with a fan venting it outside. Plus, acetone is stinky on its own.

SO has anyone tried acetone on Bones yet? Reason I ask is I just purchased the Minotaur and whoever glued it together slathered on so much superglue that a good bit of detail has been lost. I know acetone dissolves superglue, so was hoping someone had experimented to see what effects acetone has on the material.

All of this means that the best way to transport Bones is loose; just throw them in a bag or something. They're durable as all get-out.

Which is fine if you don't plan to paint them, or just give them a coloured wash or something, but not such a good solution if you paint them properly...

• Like 1

For anyone interested in the glue removal thing, someone started a thread about superglue debonder here which others elaborated on with their own ideas or experience: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50308-how-do-bones-react-to-superglue-debonder/

Also, I remember reading in a topic or two that some people managed to pull their badly factory glued models apart by hand with a little bit of force.

• Like 1

All of this means that the best way to transport Bones is loose; just throw them in a bag or something. They're durable as all get-out.

Which is fine if you don't plan to paint them, or just give them a coloured wash or something, but not such a good solution if you paint them properly...

Not necessarily true. I've found painted bones to be very durable, and I don't use a sealer. Give them a good soap and water wash, paint directly onto the bones (after drying), seal when done. Should be plenty safe for travel.

For anyone interested in the glue removal thing, someone started a thread about superglue debonder here which others elaborated on with their own ideas or experience: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50308-how-do-bones-react-to-superglue-debonder/

Also, I remember reading in a topic or two that some people managed to pull their badly factory glued models apart by hand with a little bit of force.

Thanks for that!

It's been variously reported that acetone may cause the following to happen to Bones when applied/used to soak them: extremely bendy, gooey, extremely stretchy, brittle/crumbly, sticky. I also recall a few people mentioning that they thought it would cause the Bonesium to actually melt, but I've yet to read any actual first-hand reports of that happening.

Conclusion: acetone appears to be bad for Bones. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1