Are Painting Parties Effective?

Talae

Do you find painting parties effective? Why or why not?

I am thinking of doing something where I have other people over to paint. I could even give them a mini/supplies to paint/some snacks while painting if they bring one of: paint, mini, food, $5 or so, etc.

My question to you is whether my time would be better spent playing games when the people are over and doing my painting solo. The people that would come to paint are noobs like me, too, so it isn't like one will be teaching the others (although learning together could be interesting).

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently set one up with my friends that I duped into convinced to sign up for Vampire pledges. We've only met a few times so far, but everyone is having fun. At the very least, you're hanging out with your friends while doing something you all enjoy. I also think that once people start developing their own skills it will help all of us improve faster, but we're not quite there yet.

Depends on how you personally define effective.

Are you hoping to gain insight and knowledge from working with others? Are you hoping to accomplish a set level of completeness? Are you simply seeking companionship with others who enjoy the hobby?

I find when I host paint activities, I do not have time to paint myself.

When I attend someone else's activity, I might pick up some advice or technique to take away and practice.

I generally am not a productive painter when there are other people present. The social piece of conversation is too distracting for me.

"Effective" is all in how you chose to define it.

I enjoy the social aspect, I do not expect to be prolific. My personal definition of effective is met.

• Like 2

We gathered, watched movies, and painted. The hanging with friends aspect was more important than getting figures completed. Two movies equals three to four hours work. Since we had set times I knew I would get to paint that week.

Productivity is inversely proportional to the number of friends and adult beverages added.

^ THIS. I've learned the hard way that I don't paint if I'm drinking. I've also seen disaster strike those who try. One friend in particular comes to mind: He used industrial strength silicon epoxy to glue his pre-failcast Thousand Sons together... but glued their backs on UPSIDE DOWN. That and he used so much epoxy when they got spray painted they looked like partially sculpted wads of blue chewing gum. All 40 of them.

I find that some good music (usually classical or techno) and no booze or tv usually provides a fun AND productive painting environment. Also, painting in groups is so much more fun than paining by one's self.

• Like 2

We've done various paint nights over the years. The most successful ones, IMO were when we met every week at the game shop. People were able to stay focused on their projects, and not get rusty between sessions. We still did a lot of socializing, it was cool to be in the shop, and the store owner liked having us around.

We also did paint night with our regular game group, on nights when one person couldn't make it but we still wanted to get together. That worked ok, but a couple people weren't really into painting so it wasn't fun for them.

The folks I've gamed with recently are totally not into painting, at all. They game with pre-paints or plastic tokens and have refused attempts to get them interested. A couple of them I think are afraid to try.

IMO, if you've got people who want to try painting, even as noobs, and they want to be there then it can be "worthwhile".

When we hosted it at our house we provided light snacks, newspaper, paper towels and spray primer. People brought their own brushes, figures, paint and soda. A couple of times we placed group orders but mostly people were responsible for getting their own minis. I think the less money that comes between friends, the better.

Wish I had a group near me that would do paint get togethers occasionally. With the new bones figures and my local store having backed it I am trying to get him to host an afternoon every few weeks or so. Figure it gets people in his store who want to buy more paint and figures.

And I know better to start painting at home and then start sampling the shelves of single malts nearby! 100+ voices call to me, but they get ignored till painting is done.

I have a FLGS that has Monday Pizza and Paint Nights. The idea of packing up and going there is rather unappealing to do on a regular basis, though. (especially with the new little one around to fight for attention with my almost 3 year old - leaving my wife for painting is pushing it).

Two others in my gaming group backed the Kickstarter and the other two would likely join in on painting.

It seems that it will depend greatly on personalities if we get lots of painting done, or spend our time talking. I could see it going either way.

IMMPS, Illinois Models and Miniatures Painting Society, is really just a bunch of friends that paint in my basement. It started at our game store, but now it's just my place, or Noel's (Skya) place, or her brother's place. We have a good time in that we sometimes plan a dinner ( grill or sushi or thai), sometimes there is alcohol involved, but the only rule is that you should be moving forward on your project - prepping or painting or basework. If you are missing something, someone usually has it. Stuck or unsure of a decision on technique or color, ask and you can get help, but we're not there to teach each other except by prior consent. I find I tend to be more focused on these nights than just sitting there alone. Plus you occasionally can pass the mmini around and see what others think - instant feedback!

So it's fun to get together and paint, but we keep things loose and change it up sometimes. Anyone coming to the Chicagoland area is welcome to join us - as some already have.

I'm having a couple of my gaming friends over to try and get them hooked started on painting. I've already got some basic brush sets for my kids/friends to borrow and a couple of the easier Bones already available. The hope is that I can get someone else to help paint minis for our D&D campaign. It probably doesn't hurt that one of my friends is married to the DM and has a lot of unpainted minis in her house begging for attention. ^_^

I don't really expect to keep painting as a group for long, but I'm prepared to go with the flow.

I'd like to host a paint party but I can't figure out the logistics of having 3-4 people over where none of them own any painting supplies. I'd be happy to share some Vampire Bones and my paints, but I don't have enough brushes for everybody (not that I like the idea of newbies mashing using my small supplies of brushes anyway). Anyone ever charge friends an admission fee? really, I'd just want to be compensated for the brand-new brushes they keep at the end anyway. Snacks, minis and paint would all be provided, being the good host that I am.