Hi all,

I started out painting up Darksword Miniature's "Hawkman" miniature for Pathfinder play, and thought it would be a good choice for my inaugural WIP for the Reaper forums. (Hopefully the first of many, but no promises)

For reasons of character story, I am shooting for a grey and white color scheme for his clothing, with black feathers. I am not really decided on beak color, but I am leaning towards also black to match real-world crows and ravens.

Start.jpg

One tweak I made to the original miniature was to swap its sword for a curved blade from Reaper's weapon pack II. Aside from slicing off the integral base, the rest of the figure is stock.

Robe2.jpg

My camera tends to wash out colors, and the middle picture is the worst offender. I'll see if I can improve things by moving to my photo rig for a better shot some time along the way.

SundayEve.jpg

The third picture shows things as they stand now. With luck, I can find some time to work on him Monday night too. I am planning NMM steel/silver for the sword blade, and, probably, for the trim on his cloak.

I haven't decided what to do with his mantle yet. I kind of like it as a light-grey, different from both the robe and the cloak, but I think it needs some additional tint. I'd welcome any comments or suggestions.

• Like 12
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool color scheme! It might help you to use a white background for your photos of this one, since there's a lot of black. For contrast on your blacks you could shade using either purple or blue. One thing I like doing is instead of using black at all, I use either walnut brown or nightshade purple as my black, and the highlight up from there. They'll each give you very different tones. The walnut brown would look good as your beak- I could see a browner black for the beak, a reddish/gray/black for your clothes and a blue/purple black for the feathers. Then you can get away with black everywhere, because each one will reflect a bit differently. I love the shading you're doing on the white- nice and creamy. Silvery blue-gray for the mantle, maybe? Great job with all the shading so far!

• Like 1

Cool color scheme! It might help you to use a white background for your photos of this one, since there's a lot of black. For contrast on your blacks you could shade using either purple or blue. One thing I like doing is instead of using black at all, I use either walnut brown or nightshade purple as my black, and the highlight up from there. They'll each give you very different tones. The walnut brown would look good as your beak- I could see a browner black for the beak, a reddish/gray/black for your clothes and a blue/purple black for the feathers. Then you can get away with black everywhere, because each one will reflect a bit differently. I love the shading you're doing on the white- nice and creamy. Silvery blue-gray for the mantle, maybe? Great job with all the shading so far!

I had been debating either blue-black or a more neutral black for the head feathers, but splitting the head and beak with blue vs. brown is a cool idea to keep the feel and still differentiate them. (I often use the Grey-Blue triad to highlight blue-blacks, and Dusky Skin for the more neutral mix. I don't have a favorite brown mix, but I have a few to consider.)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Lighter background, not white. White would blow out all the detail. A nice dark grey with some tonal variation, maybe.

I like the way the mantle looks now!

One thing I have considered is to keep it almost the way it is now, but hit it with a gentle, light-blue glaze. We'll see.

I'm just about done with the housework for tonight, so, hopefully, I can still get in an hour or two of painting and post the results before I go to sleep. Thanks all!

• Like 2

Well, I didn't get as much painting time tonight as I would have liked, but I did warm up my regular photo rig to get a (slightly) better picture. Never the less, Progress!

I took Corporea's suggestion to apply some brown tint to the beak, but the feathers are still pretty much unhighlighted black at the moment. Also: I am aware that the sword is only partially painted. I promise that the other faces are coming.

post-7337-0-16520400-1372128381.jpg

• Like 7

I got in a little painting time this morning before work. I'm not 100% sold on how I have the highlights arranged on the sword blade. I may do some experimenting on the back to see if I can find something I like better.

We'll see how much further I can get done tonight. I'll see if I can post an update with more pictures some time tomorrow.

post-7337-0-61840500-1372206188.jpg

• Like 4

Looks Amazing so far!

Thanks!

Wednsday Morning Update:

I don't have time to sort through my pictures for a full update just now, but I wanted to post two competing pictures for how to pursue highlights on the sword blade. I am leaning toward the one that matches yesterday's picture "sword A", but I'm not sure. The length-wise version (sword B) may be more "realistic". Does anybody else have a favorite?

post-7337-0-77056100-1372249643.jpg

post-7337-0-28355800-1372249653.jpg

Edited by klarg1