[SPLIT] Word Play-Hulk smashed

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't call them spider-men, we just can't.

And I think I was in error above. I think the Greek would be more like Anthropoarachnoid.

Why not leave Greek behind utterly and go for classical Latin?

Instead of Homo sapiens, they would be Homo aranea. Or Humanus aranea, since ironically humanus means only "like" a human.

Araneahominids?

Decapods? (="ten feet" the way "octopod" is Latin for octopus).

What's latin for elf? You can't put "homo" or "humanus" in it for the simple fact that all the rules lawyers out there would complain that they're ELVES not HUMANS! without looking up the meaning. They're a whiney bunch, those rules lawyers. Complain about anything.

There isn't any Latin for "elf." The Old English word meant "ghost," and the concept of elves as a fairy race is way modern.

"Spiritus" would be the closest Latin to the original concept of elf, which is no help at all. Otherwise there are words for mythic races like "dryad" and "naiad" which also are not helpful.

Then again, most RPGs use what I think of as Hulk Smash Latin. I took classical languages in college and was more than a little boggled at just how bad and ungrammatical Latin was in most games.

"Ars Magica" was the worst offender. The name of the game itself is ungrammatical (It doesn't mean "The Art of Magic" as they claimed -- it's more like two words next to each other. "Art! Magic!" The proper form would have been "Ars Magicae".)

So what the heck, since game Latin is dodgy anyway, and besides, people have been coining Latin neologisms since at least the Middle Ages, make something up. Call 'em "alfes" the way they call elk "alces."

• Like 4

There isn't any Latin for "elf."

[ ... ]

Then again, most RPGs use what I think of as Hulk Smash Latin. I took classical languages in college and was more than a little boggled at just how bad and ungrammatical Latin was in most games.

"Ars Magica" was the worst offender. The name of the game itself is ungrammatical (It doesn't mean "The Art of Magic" as they claimed -- it's more like two words next to each other. "Art! Magic!" The proper form would have been "Ars Magicae" [... ]

Warhammer 40K was not the worst offender? :blink:[pauses to retrieve jaw]

I am thinking Hulk Smash Gamer Latin for "elf" would be: "aelf".

I think one of the grammar rules of HSGL is that adding a dipthong to anything makes it 'Latin' (i.e: HSGL).

Can't be bothered. I don't actually speak Latin and Google translate liked it. I figure Google's version is probably as close as Hulk would get since I've seen what abominations Google translate produces for languages I actually do have knowledge of.

Don't you just love declension and etymology? I like the translation fata, or whatever the proper form is, for elf because it fits a little better for the Norse concept than spiritus. And elf as Fay isn't all that modern, really. Take the tuatha de dannan, who are, by modern reckoning, very elflike in concept. They become the aes sídhe and develop into faeryish beings. The names may be different, but the concept is the same.

To conclude: I'm not a fan of attempted modernized Latin, let it rest with the other dead languages. Instead, we should all use French

• Like 1