Truly inspiring. I followed your WIP, and every time I thought "Wow, that's amazing!" you went and made it even better. A shame I can't like it more than once.

• Like 2

Those touches of White on the roses added ha little extra pop gorgeous work.

Edited by KruleBear
  • Like 1

Your base work is always great, but I just love this one. The roses all look wonderful and I especially like how you painted the stonework. I also like how you used blue in the rose vines to draw some of the color of the mini into the roses. Your freehand also fits the mini quite well.

The only criticism I can offer you is there is some yellow on the stonework just off from her boot that looks out of place to me. Also the breastplate highlights seem off to me, as I am not good at picking highlight places I can't really tell you how to improve that just that to me it looks off.

Otherwise she looks beautiful and stunning.

• Like 1

Woooooooow, that base is amazeballs! I saw your wips and I didn't think it'd come out so great. (It's okay, you can hit me for underestimating your awesome.) The foliage is so beautifully painted, everything looks lovely.

*edit* If you're looking for critiques, the only thing I guess I'd suggest is maybe making the freehand gold details on the cloak stand out a little more? On the back in particular it seems to be getting a little lost in those blues. Maybe even just adding harsher lines to the edges would help them pop.

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 1

Thanks everybody! On the base I was trying to make it look like the orange was reflecting brighter right at her foot, but I can tone it down a bit and make it smoother. I had a harder time with the back of the cape- I'll go back and line it in a darker brown I think. I can always reseal it first, just in case. I see what you mean about the highlight on the breastplate, Marsya! I think I need to add a tail up to the top...

Thanks!!!

It's so cool how all the incremental improvements you've been making since I've been watching your work just seemed to come together so well on this mini. It was very enjoyable watching it develop, I loved the paint job and then you kicked it up to another level with that base!

I agree about the reflections not reading as such. Looks a bit more like a glow. Reflections seem like a difficult compromise like NMM, they're eye of the beholder dependent and don't translate well to a 360º viewpoint. I find 3/4 of NMM is getting the initial perspective looking right and then the rest is fudging that to look good from other angles :)

• Like 1

You are trying to create a reflection like seen in the pictures here; http://www.spec-net.com.au/press/0408/snb_300408.htm

The problem is you just don't have such a clearly defined reflection. Look at the reflections in the brown granite down the bottom where the colour is less apparent and they look more like shadows. However I still think that is wrong for an "ancient column" sort of piece like this, those are representations of machine polished and new stonework, what you have is a dirty dusty uncared for bit of stone. Do a quick google for "marble ruins" and study those pictures and you'll see what I mean.

(I hate having to nit pick work that is better than anything I produce, but you're aimng to improve so...)

• Like 3

ok! Did some fiddling... I put a before and after shot. Still not sure about the cape, but it's better. I may still play with it, but I'll go ahead and put it in showoff for now!

d0a0ed41-b703-429c-9d66-3e079bc89a11_zps5c34755b-02eb-4c89-9a33-4d17a27c2447_zps

Thanks everybody!!!

• Like 4

There is something majestic with this model and you did an excellent work capturing that magnificent splendor. And, I like how the roses turned out too.

• Like 1