Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

[Group/Open] WIP Wyrmgear

I was watching a video on http://youtube.com/user/ThePaintingClinic last night and he talked about the need to add a non-metallic colour to the first coat of metallics. Something to consider when experimenting instead of doing a full coat of something before your metallic.

I do this for all of my minis that are primarily metallic, works like a charm.

I undercoat golds. Usually with something between yellow and brown. My silver metallics mostly have pretty great coverage, but most of the golds I have fall terribly short in that department, so that's become pretty standard practice for me.

Anymore, all of my metals get an undercoat. White metals usually get a blue of some kind and yellow gets brown (and I just discovered that my phone was partially subsidized by UPS, since autocorrect believes "brown" must be capitalized. Taught the dictionary otherwise, so that's fixed).

Right now, I have a mini on my desk that I'm trying an emerald undercoat for steel. Olive is kinda my go-to for brass and some golds, ever since my true metallics class at Rcon. So don't be afraid to go nuts!

• Like 1

I always start chainmail with a base of a light brown, wash black ink, and brush with steel, and silvers

I am definately gonna try this the next time i have to do chainmail

• Like 1

I usually undercoat metallics a flat black - I'll have to try the blue for silver & brown / yellow for gold, see what difference it makes.

I needed more control for tidying up before the black wash, so I employed the method above. I mixed 3 parts blue steel to one part armor gray, and 3 parts clockwork brass to one part griffon tan. This worked quite well, actually, and I think it did save me some time.

So once I'm done fiddling around with the tidying I'll have a picture update. Wyrmgear's a nice mini, but doesn't make for a very action-packed WIP.

• Like 1

@Buglips

Wow, I already like what you did. The Wings are really cool. Silver is not a good idea for the wings. Only the 'wing-bones' should be metal.

Silver is the simplest solution for the moment. This will probably not be my only Wyrmgear, so if I want to get experimental there'll be time for it later. I just knew, instantly, that if I put him on the table with his wings like that some wag would pipe up "his wings are plywood!" and that'd be that. So truesilver mimics the shiny wings Martin did, and it'll get this Wyrmgear done fairly quickly.

I had wanted to do another Wyrmgear with WWI lozenge camouflage, but the fragility of the Microsculpt decals has me worried. But if I can find an alternate source, like maybe some more robust decals from Airfix or a higher-grade third party, then I'd do it. But Microsculpt is way, wayyyy too fragile for Wyrmgear's weird curves.

• Like 1

Silver is the simplest solution for the moment. This will probably not be my only Wyrmgear, so if I want to get experimental there'll be time for it later. I just knew, instantly, that if I put him on the table with his wings like that some wag would pipe up "his wings are plywood!" and that'd be that. So truesilver mimics the shiny wings Martin did, and it'll get this Wyrmgear done fairly quickly.

I had wanted to do another Wyrmgear with WWI lozenge camouflage, but the fragility of the Microsculpt decals has me worried. But if I can find an alternate source, like maybe some more robust decals from Airfix or a higher-grade third party, then I'd do it. But Microsculpt is way, wayyyy too fragile for Wyrmgear's weird curves.

It's a little thing called "Feehand". Try it, you might like it. ::P:

Or, check this out: Camo on a CAV.

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 2