Anne, thank you SOOOOOOO much!!! I've really needed someone to point out the basic differences between an ink, a wash and a glaze, and when/how to use them, so that video was simply perfect!! Now I know what to do with the Reaper washes I do have. :) Also, I went and watched his video on drybrushing, one from a different painter on glazing, and one from yet another painter on wet blending, so now at least I've got some visuals in my head of how to actually go about doing each of those properly.

@DLMyst - Thank you! :) I think I'm going to at least attempt it, since these are meant for the table and not as display pieces, and I think if I take my time and try to make it as straight as possible, it'll look at least decent at arm's length.

Working on more bases right now, I'll post when I've got some finished.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1
  • Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to post yesterday due to helping someone move, then standing outside watching an awesome summer thunderstorm with my husband. So much lightning! :D

I've decided that, while rats are far less exciting to paint than bugbears, they're a lot more tricksy than I gave them credit for. This next batch has a spot underneath them that's difficult to get to without getting paint on the rat somewhere. Also, I discovered that I'd missed the backs of the front legs while basecoating them, so I patched that up.

I'm also becoming increasingly convinced that I should have done some brown/blacklining before even starting the basecoat, since that would have really helped to ease the transitions between the base and the mini; they're pretty stark right now, and a few of them look like they're melting into the floor. I'll be able to paint shadows in, granted, but it's twice as much work to have to work everything backwards rather than having that nice line there to begin with. Live and learn.

post-11389-0-49279500-1372636611_thumb.jpg

Also, I probably should have painted the bases before basecoating the rats themselves, then gone back and tidied the bases up later. I've tried to be careful, but I've gotten paint all over the feet of every rat so far. Those toes are just so tiny!

post-11389-0-50136600-1372636633_thumb.jpg

Here's the cobblestone base rats done, though my hubby suggested trying for mossy brick http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/File:Mossy_Stone_Brick.png'>like in Minecraft. I also think that will look cool, so I'll need to figure out how to get a good moss texture on without it looking weird. Perhaps a super-light drybrushing? I also think I need to add another basecoat to Mr. Oiled Leather there (the brown one), since he's a little patchy looking in-person.

post-11389-0-95531500-1372636686_thumb.jpg

I'm much happier with how these numbers turned out, and I even remembered to add a dot to rat #6 to distinguish it from #9.

post-11389-0-52580100-1372636702_thumb.jpg

Now to figure out how to do the last four bases so they look like they're in a sewer....

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 7

After doing spending a few hours doing (among other things) a lot of thinking and internet searching and playing around with ideas ranging from creative use of metallics to cutting the rats off their bases and sculpting entirely new ones (with so many tiny contact points on their current bases, not plausible with my box cutter and lack of experience), I've decided to ditch the sewer idea and am torn between either putting putty in the cement lines and doing mud/grass, or just slopping dingy greys, greens and browns on until it looks generally grungy, ignoring the cement lines completely.

Wow, that was a really long sentence.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 1

Alright, last batch of bases are done. Are you tired of me basecoating bases yet? I know I am.

I went with the last idea I posted about, sort of a generally grimy underground kinda look. Which means I had fun with mixing paint. A little too much fun, actually. 6 paint colors later, it felt more like mad science than art, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I started with 5 drops Oiled Leather, then wanted to darken it up a lot, so I added 2 drops of Muddy Brown. It still looked too wholesome and earthy, so 2 drops of Dusky Skin made it a lot more grey. 1 drop of Walnut Brown darkened it up nicely, but it was still too warm and alive looking. Remembering my trick with my bugbear's fur, I added 2 drops of my blue-green sample color, which turned it a lovely gross brownish-grey color. Then, simply for fun, I threw in 3 drops of Honed Steel to at least try a vaguely metallic look.

This left me with a veritable lake of paint, but it also ensured that I wouldn't have to mix up any more! After painting them, I asked my husband whether he could see any sort of shine, and he said they just looked like mud. Ah well. It was still a little disappointing that I'd used up so much paint and used so many different colors to get a color that was basically just mud. -_-

post-11389-0-28539900-1372743001_thumb.jpg

Note that I did not neglect the area between their tails and bodies this time. Progress! :lol: And at least the color I ended up with was brown enough that the gray rat didn't vanish against it, and gray enough that the brown rat didn't disappear.

As with the others, I painted the bottoms of the bases and numbered them.

post-11389-0-43704100-1372743092_thumb.jpg

And here's a group shot while the numbers were drying, though really they look more like they died. :D

post-11389-0-43419600-1372743356_thumb.jpg

Once those were dry, I gathered them all in a group just to see how they all looked together. Quite a colorful little bunch.

post-11389-0-49914600-1372743186_thumb.jpg

All the numbers are done. Yay for no more freehand (on this project)! :D

post-11389-0-18209500-1372743236_thumb.jpg

Next stop: fun with washes!

Huzzah!

• Like 10

With the rats, I liberally coated the border between them and the base with black because I knew they'd need a "fudge line". It's a lot harder to see a missed dark spot than a missed whit spot.

That said, most of my bones do actually have missed spots on undercuts or whatever and, since they're not especially prominent, I just left 'em as is.

• Like 3

Okay, so I've learned that washes are...weird.

I'm using the Reaper Flesh and Black washes, and they're thicker than I was expecting. I did a little messing around with them on my ceramic tile just to see how they'd behave, and I guess I was expecting something more watery (maybe I'm thinking of a glaze??). Pigment coverage was about what I was expecting, though, so I grabbed the Flesh Wash, my trusty 5-0 and Rat #3 (Yellowed Bone), since the Flesh wash is a bit pinkish, and #3 is quite yellow and I wanted to tone that down a tad.

I started with a medium amount on the brush, since I didn't know how it was going to behave on the mini, and it didn't act the way I expected it to. It definitely showed up every little brush stroke I made, and didn't go on very evenly, probably because it dries so fast. I tried using less, which worked a little better, but caused it to dry even faster. It also darkened the overall color quite a bit more than I was expecting, rather than just settling into the little bit of fur texture the mini has. I finished washing it just so that would at least be even all over, but the resulting rat looks...well, diseased, frankly. And short of basecoating it all over again, I'm not sure how to fix it.

post-11389-0-72507000-1372842695_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-25501800-1372842711_thumb.jpg

Hoping that the wash would look better against a different colored background, I picked up Rat #5 (Tanned Skin). Probably not surprising, given the color it was basecoated with, but the wash did very little to the overall color on this one. It did serve to define the fur a little bit, but not as much as I was hoping for. At least it doesn't look like it's got the mange, unlike poor #3.

post-11389-0-07429800-1372842835_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-61675000-1372842854_thumb.jpg

I decided that it was probably time to play around with the Black wash, so I chose Rat #7 (Muddy Brown) as my test subject. To my surprise and delight, though the color did get darker, it gave him a nice, sleek, sort of "just crawled out of the water" wet fur look. In fact, I like it so much that I probably won't bother with much highlighting (if at all), since he's got just a bit of shine to him already. I'll just do tail/paws, mouth, ears and eyes and call him done. :)

post-11389-0-04836300-1372843057_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-80443400-1372843070_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts/comments/advice regarding what I did/didn't do, or about washes in general? Or should I just do more dinking around with the stuff until I understand it better?

I'm beginning to wonder if I should take a break and paint something else for a bit; I think I'm starting to take these rats way too seriously. -_-

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 6

I quite like #3. He doesn't look mangy at all. It appears as natural differences in fur color. In my personal opinion he is the best of the lot.

As for washes, go get a palette with wells. You can get them cheap at Walmart. Put a drop of wash in a well. Use your brush to drag it up the side. If it runs almost immediately down, leaving only the barest hint of color it is right. If it clings to the side add water. You are looking for something akin to skim milk or just slightly runnier. You can add just a hint of dish soap to decrease surface tension. This will let the wash run into the crevices easier. The best way to make sure not to over do is get a bottle of water, put in one drop of soap, and label it "wash water" or something similar. Use this whenever you need to thin a wash.

Another way to get washes into the crevices is to coat the mini with a gloss varnish and allow it to dry prior to washing. There will be less "tooth" to grab the wash.

Btw, I am really enjoying this thread.

• Like 4

I agree with Mistimp, washes work best when they're pretty thin so that they soak into the crevices more. I haven't actually used the Reaper washes yet, since I normally custom mix my washes with just regular paint, water, and maybe some of Vallejo's glaze medium. (Flow improver would probably also work.) When I'm applying a wash the word I'd use to describe the process is 'slather'. ^_^

Oh, and you can often fix a wash you don't like by applying another wash, dry-brushing or both. Painting fur is a bit of a process getting the natural texture to look right.

Edit: I'm enjoying watching this as well. It's helpful for me to understand how to better teach my kids/friends who want to start painting. ^_^

Edited by LittleBluberry
  • Like 2

I don't have any Reaper washes, but I do have some of the Coat D'Arms ones. Despite being very watery to start with, they still require some thinning to work right. I'd say the reaper ones are probably similar. Mistimp's instructions should help determine optimum thinness.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice and comments, everyone, they're very helpful! ::):

I'll try thinning my next washes a bit as per mistimp's excellent instructions. Part of it could be that the fur texture on these guys is quite subtle, so there's less in the way of crevices for the wash to flow into. Also, I'm really wishing I had a brown wash right now, but I can't quite justify an order right now, so I shall have to make do. Can regular paint be mixed into a wash to change the color, as long as I thin it enough afterwards?

@LittleBluberry - Oh good, I'm so glad!! That's one of the main reasons why I've been writing up all my confusions and mistakes and thoughts about pretty much everything, is because I'm new to all of this, like a lot of people are that jumped into the Kickstarter feet-first, so I figured that it would be helpful for them to see where I got hung up, as well as the valuable advice and answers to my newbie questions from the more experienced members here.

I know I've been guilty of this before, but when you get really good at something/have been doing it for a long time, it's so easy to forget what it's like to be brand new to something. To be standing there with a fistful of brand new paint and brushes wondering how the heck everyone else manages to turn these tiny pieces of metal/resin/plastic into incredible miniature works of art, and how they manage to make it look so easy. ^_^

Which is why, again, I'm SOOO glad that various Kickstarter comments eventually led me here! :D

Painting is on hold until I obtain a welled palette/find a suitable dish in my kitchen that can substitute in the meantime, as well as for spending holiday time with husband. :)

Huzzah!