OneBoot's Bones 1 Kickstarter Figures WIP (picture heavy)

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boots! Both of your WIPs are fantastic! I'm brand new to the hobby, and have no art background. As a result, I need tons and tons of little baby steps. These threads are certainly providing. I get that WIP threads are supposed to really just show off works that folks are in the process of completing (and not for tutorials) but some of the WIP threads are a bit like How To Draw An Owl. There's some mystical process that happens in there. It's like TV Magic, but with really tiny paintbrushes.

Your progression, with pics AND descriptions of your thought process, is infinitely better. Infinitely infinite times better. Real talk: If you did this for the whole Vampire kit and then printed your forum posts, I'm pretty sure you could sell it as a book, or tome. It'd be a Necronomicon for Bones but with far less chanting. "Bring your Bones to Life!"

• Like 2

@unidentifiable - YAAAAY!!! Oh that makes me happy that you're finding my WIP so helpful!! I looked at several that were around before I started mine, and while a lot of them were good, I had the same problem that there were a lot of steps that were left out, often because it was a WIP by someone experienced enough that they didn't need to show their work after every step. Which is fine, but! Not too helpful for me. Which is why I decided to take the term "Work in Progress" literally and run with it. ::):

some of the WIP threads are a bit like How To Draw An Owl. There's some mystical process that happens in there.

This. OH SO MUCH THIS. (except without the swearing) This actually is exactly what turned me off of drawing. I remember it very clearly, it was instructions for how to draw a horse. I followed the first 4 steps, which were pretty simple and not too hard to follow. The fifth and last step took the simple line drawing and somehow turned it into http://0.tqn.com/d/drawsketch/1/0/q/V/horse-drawing-6.jpg'>this, except not in color. I spent several minutes staring back and forth between pictures 4 and 5 in complete bafflement before finally closing the book and shoving my drawing into my desk. <_< I never went back.

To end on a positive note, thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement! Also, please please feel free to make suggestions or recommendations on how I can improve, or pointing me towards helpful tutorials, those have been awesome! It still totally boggles me that anyone besides me is following my WIP, it makes me feel special. :wub:

Next post is Rat #3, which I actually finished yesterday night, but didn't post due to severe headache/stiff neck related to too much focusing on tiny minis. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 2

Okay, so last time we saw Rat #3 was after my very first attempt at using a wash (Reaper Flesh Wash). The results were...less than what I had hoped for, due to it being too thick:

post-11389-0-73590500-1373621332_thumb.jpg

In fact, I'd mentioned that to me he looked kind of diseased (it looked a lot grosser in person; doing a flesh wash over Yellowed Bone is not something I'd recommend as a fur color). So, I decided that I'd already made two cute rats, so maybe it was time to make a gross mangy-looking one.

I took the same Flesh Wash and oh-so-carefully added a drop of Glass and Tile Medium to a puddle of it to see if that would thin it. It really didn't. So, I added a drop of water. Then another. Then a third before it finally was as thin as I wanted. I then gleefully slathered it alllll over the entire rat. (the bare patch on his flank in the first pic is due to my starting to drybrush before I'd realized I forgot to take a picture)

post-11389-0-56034600-1373621686_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-02819600-1373621708_thumb.jpg

I've decided that washing is almost as much fun as drybrushing. :)

I then loaded up my brush pretty heavily when drybrushing the Yellowed Bone back over the top of the wash, since I wanted him to look really mangy and diseased. I like how this is turning out so far, he's looking pretty awesomely awful.

post-11389-0-96698900-1373621904_thumb.jpg

Then it was time for the eyes. I decided I didn't want any cutesy black eyes here, nosiree. What this rat needs is RED eyes. Actually, yeah, let's go for zombie rat with red eyes. So I mixed 1 drop Blood Red with 4 TT (toothpick-tips) of Muddy Brown to darken it up some. I had to carefully add one TT at a time, since Muddy Brown has demonstrated the tendency to overwhelm color mixes if I'm not careful.

post-11389-0-99177300-1373622216_thumb.jpg

Then I got cocky. I thought I'd try to add a shine dot with Pure White to make his eyes look even more creepy. It, er, didn't really- actually, I'll just show you what happened:

post-11389-0-06355500-1373622414_thumb.jpg

I was trying for creepy, not demonic. :P

I attempted a dot on the other side, and it turned out even worse, I got half of it on his cheek! So I went back over both dots with the original reddish color. Now, I should note that the red was a bit on the thin side, which meant that after putting down one coat over the shine dot, it was still barely visible. The result was...actually pretty cool looking, a little bit like I'd done a red glaze over it the way Pingo does jewels. (I wish my pics weren't so fuzzy; I really need to find the manual for my camera so I can enable macro mode)

post-11389-0-92057500-1373623379_thumb.jpg

So, cool. Eyes are done, following my cleaning up around the second eye with a bit of the basecoat and several very careful applications of the thinned flesh wash over the touched-up area with my tiniest brush. Next, I wanted to give him a touch of green, cuz, you know, zombie rat. I took one drop Pure White and added one typical amount TT of Grass Green, since it was the purest green I had. This gave me a beautifully minty green color that I'll have to remember for later, but since I'm not doing a minty rat, I tried again. This time, I got just the barest bit of the green on the tip of the toothpick and stirred it in. I did this two more times before getting white with a bare hint of green. Perfect!

I used this in a poor attempt at drybrushing highlights on. It didn't really work, and actually came out a bit fuzzy-looking (I think I let the paint get too dry in the brush at one point and neglected to rinse it out before reloading it). The other problem was I wasn't really sure which bits I should apply a highlight to, so I went for the top of the back, top of the flanks, top of the shoulder, ears and top of his head. (if you're new and reading this, don't assume those are the right spots for highlights, I really have no idea what I'm doing here) It doesn't really show up on camera, but it's there.

post-11389-0-48010800-1373622895_thumb.jpg

Woah! Okay, this post is getting really long. New post!

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 7

His mouth was next, and as I was applying my usual Walnut Brown, I realized two things: First, that the right side of his mouth was unusually deep. Second, that he only had one tooth.

post-11389-0-45945200-1373624075_thumb.jpg

Somehow, due to some sort of really minor casting error, the right side of his mouth didn't get enough material to form the rest of the tooth and some of the inside of his mouth. AWESOME! This zombie rat just keeps getting better and better. It also meant that I wouldn't have to fiddle around with dividing the two teeth, yaaaaay.

post-11389-0-43126400-1373624199_thumb.jpg

It was at this point that I realized I'd neglected to give him a name. I was trying to think of something appropriate for this mangy, gross, scabrous looking rat-

Scabrous.

Scabbers.

OH MY GOSH THAT'S PERFECT!

I'm painting Scabbers the rat!! (for those few of you not familiar with Scabbers...read http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Muggles'_Guide_to_Harry_Potter/Characters/Scabbers'>this and be enlightened)

I mixed up my standard 1 drop Pure White with 1 TT Blood Red for Scabber's paws/ears/tail/nose, but after I was done painting those, the color kind of clashed a bit with the rest of him. (not sure if it shows up too well on these pics)

post-11389-0-34944300-1373624521_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-83185000-1373624550_thumb.jpg

Now, you might be saying to yourself (assuming you can see it), "But OneBoot! You missed his right front paw!!"

And you'd be correct.

But don't worry, I have...plans for that paw. :devil:

What plans?

Why, these plans, of course:

post-11389-0-31133600-1373624678_thumb.jpg

Yes, that's right. I simply could not resist giving him a silver paw. (for those of you unfamiliar with the Harry Potter books that Scabbers is from, go look up more information about Scabbers so you'll know why I did what I did; explaining the joke ruins half the fun :) ) I was originally going to paint over one of his toes to show his missing finger, but I decided that would be too subtle, and just look like I'd missed it in painting or something.

To make the pinkish bits blend in a bit more, I gave all of them a very light drybrushing of the Yellowed Bone basecoat. This inevitably resulted in my getting some on the base. But it looked really nice, so I did the rest of it. I also cleaned up around his toes with the Stone Grey base color. With those last touches, Scabbers is finished!

post-11389-0-62842500-1373624992_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-64138400-1373625056_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-85537400-1373625113_thumb.jpg

Yay!

I had so much fun with this little guy, it isn't funny. Maybe I should paint at 5am more often.

...And maybe I shouldn't, since painting two rats in one day led to a very stiff neck, which I didn't realize until after I was finished was the cause of my pounding headache. Seriously, when I'm focusing, everything else just kinda fades into the background. :huh:

Rat #4 is next. I'm not sure what to do with this one. But! I did pick up a bottle of brown ink today from my FLGS. I'm gonna have some fun messing around with that, I'm sure. ::D:

Huzzah!

• Like 8

Oh! I forgot to mention that I started trying to do some lining between him and the base with some Walnut Brown after he was done, but it looked pretty terrible, so I did a heavy drybrushing of Yellowed Bone over those bits to hide it. Maybe I'll try playing with lining on my next rat.

Huzzah!

Great work, OneBoot!

Really like how you embrace the whole creative process and just go with whatever the mini throws at you.

Take it easy on the neck. I have a bad neck (and shoulder, and back....). Remembering to take a break and stretch and move around when you are "in the zone" can be disruptive, but it really helps.

And, if you don't have one, invest in a nice big magic bag (or equivalent). Throwing some heat on there after a painting session can prevent things from tightening up.

I tend to end up cracking my neck a lot, but I don't recommend that. Now everyone always gives me "that look" every time the bag guy in the show/movie does the "I'm a bad guy" neck crack....

(Also, there's lots of stuff on the web that says it's not really a good thing to be doing....)

• Like 1

Might as well pile on the praise ;). Really like your threads (just finished the Bugbear thread). The way you share your detailed thinking with a touch of humor is awesome. I did not think i would find someone taking five pages to paint some rats interesting, but i do.

You are showing significant improvement with each post. I recommend keeping most of your bones in this thread. You will enjoy seeing the progress in a few years when you look back through it.

• Like 1

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

I finally purchased a nice hobby knife yesterday (it's actually a Formula P3; I was planning on just getting a cheap Xacto), and was dying to try it out.

The http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/warchant/a-z/60018'>Goblin Warchanter that came with the KS was absolutely perfect for one of the PCs in our group, since his character is a goblin that wields a spiked chain. A whip is close enough. Anyways, on the preview pictures during the KS, details were really hard to make out, so it wasn't until I'd debagged the mini and saw it up close that I realized it's actually a female! Which is super cool! Buuuut...Gobby the Goblin is a guy. :/

So, I told the player that I should be able to alter the mini without too much trouble. The mini I've chosen for my character will also need some modification, but hers will be quite a bit more extensive, and will involve a weapon swap as well, so I figured Gobby would be a good start.

I discovered pretty quickly that cutting Bonesium is EASY. The best comparison I can think of is that it's akin to slicing a brick of cheddar cheese. There's still a bit of stiffness to the material, but with a good sharp knife, it slices pretty easily.

I carefully removed the front using tiny little cuts with the very tip of the knife, deeply apologizing in my mind to the poor thing for what I was doing to her.

post-11389-0-41113100-1373667895_thumb.jpg

The end result was actually quite a bit better than I had been anticipating, and I managed to avoid slicing off either my finger or the mini's knee. All he needs now is a bit of filing to smooth out the rough spots, and my first conversion will be done! :)

post-11389-0-12752600-1373667910_thumb.jpg

Huzzah!

• Like 3