OneBoot's Bones 1 Kickstarter Figures WIP (picture heavy)

Haven't been in much of a painting mood today, so instead I did a big ol' boil-n-bend party (and only got to maybe 1/3 of the minis!). I picked out the baggies that had the worst offenders, namely the spellcasters and fighter-types (seriously, nearly all of those suffered some degree of bendy sword/staff syndrome), as well as the skeletons, goblins, zombies (these weren't too bad), rogues, rangers, bards, and our PC characters. Also, the Shadow Dragon from There Be Dragons, he came looking like he was several sheets to the wind.

I heated the water to just under boiling and had all sorts of fun (carefully) dropping minis in and watching swords and staves (staffs?) and spears unbending themselves. I then used chopsticks to remove the minis from the pot, aid in repositioning, then place minis in the very cold water, thereby saving my fingers, yay!

post-11389-0-27170800-1373770904_thumb.jpg

Yummy Bones soup! (not really, please do not eat them) This picture is actually from a few days ago, when I did just a couple of PC minis, which is why you see such a tiny bowl being used in this picture. The one I used today was MUCH bigger. :)

The Good:

I got lucky with http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/previews/latest/77160'>Sir Animated Cloak, whom several people had mentioned having difficulties with, since he actually corrected all by himself after boiling for a couple of minutes, which I was very relieved to see. I was anticipating having to trim off the end of his sword because it was sticking out and down way too low, similar to the one in the picture I linked. It looks like he was just very tilted forward, yay!

My small fire elemental, which has had pretty severe balancing issues, is able to stand on her own after a good boil and a bit of repositioning.

I found that if I overbent whatever needed correcting, then positioned it where I wanted it, there was very little reversion.

My super flexible Pathfinder Goblins did feel quite a bit stiffer after their boil and ice bath and I checked on them several hours later, when they'd warmed back up to room temp. So, that's good to know for the future!

The Bad:

I've decided that I hate spears, I had a few of those that needed second boilings just because they're so thin and floppy. A few of the staves were the same way, just really fiddly to get just right. The ones where some parts of the staff/spear were molded as part of the mini were the worst offenders, and there's some I just don't think I'll ever get straight on my own.

I discovered that one of my minis was COVERED in flashing! Seriously, he had this great big mold line halo completely around him, and since it's http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/previews/a-z/77158'>this guy with his awesomely blowing cloak, it's going to be a humongous pain to remove it all. It stuck out so far that I was actually able to scrape a lot of it off with just my fingernail. :angry: I've made a good start, but he's still got some ways to go.

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/previews/a-z/89009'>Merisiel was...a bit wonky. The original mold position of mine, as revealed by the boiling water, is canted off to her left pretty severely. However, she was fairly easy to reposition, given the tiny contact point she has with her base. It was just difficult to get her positioned just right, then quickly dunk her in the ice water without her moving back.

Lastly, my shadow dragon. There's...only so much I can do for him. Part of the problem is that his base is really a bit too thin for the amount of stuff it's holding, so it's all kinds of warped oddly. I finally managed to manhandle him into an upright position while simultaneously pushing parts of his base in the opposite direction and quickly shoved him in the ice water. I'm anticipating him reverting, though, so I set up a camera in front of him and have been taking periodic pictures, just to capture the process. ::):

Anyways, that's my update for today, sorry it wasn't more exciting.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't been able to paint lately due to life stuffs + going on vacation soon (much cleaning). I don't anticipate being able to do much during the vacation either, since my parents have a very traditional view of RPG (my dad had some unfortunate experiences in high school with some not good people that were RPers ::(: ), and we'll be staying at their place. I'll take pictures of what I am able to do, and post when I can. ^_^

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 1

I just tell my family it's for an "art project." That always seemed to work...

My sister is awesome- she saw a picture of a WIP on a cork and thought I was making fancy wine cork toppers! Maybe there's a D&D market there waiting to be tapped.

Did some painting on the rats last night, and there's just not enough texture on the fur for washing (and drybrushing?).

Myself and Smoking have some tips on how to paint the rats:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/49393-rats/

The good thing about the rats is that the troublesome areas (eg. eyes, fur areas that need shading, the rat whose tail touches its fur) aren't too close to each other. So if you screw up in one place, you won't ruin another.

Thanks for the experimenting. Let me know what you find out!

• Like 1

It has been entirely too long since this thread has seen any painting. It's time to change that. :)

I'm back from a 3 week vacation with relativemass (husband) in the beautiful Pacific Northwest area, and I brought back some goodies!

post-11389-0-16009300-1376339341_thumb.jpg

Top to bottom:

Cheap flat brush, since my drybrushing is starting to wreak havoc on my Reaper flat

P3 Molten Bronze, since I don't have a bronze and really liked the look of this one

(on left) Tiny fuzzy brush things for applying glue, I assume they'll be much better than trying to use a toothpick!

Windsor & Newton Series 7 size 1 brush. More on this later.

Coarse sanding needles, since I had the Medium and Fine, but not these.

It was very nice being able to wander around browsing for things in Bridgetown Hobbies, a good-sized brick-and-mortar gaming shop in Portland, OR, since my local one here is teeny and not well stocked. Sadly, Bridgetown was all out of Bones, since they had to cancel their huge order because the availability of Bones for regular retail kept being pushed back. They definitely plan on getting some eventually, though!

Here's a better pic of the W&N:

post-11389-0-14703700-1376339678_thumb.jpg

This actually came by mail while I was gone, and unwrapping it I felt like I'd just been accepted to Hogwarts and gotten my very first wand. It comes in a special protective plastic case and just exudes a "nice expensive brush" aura.

I won't lie, I'm kind of scared to actually use the thing. :unsure:

Now! As for what painting I got done while on vacation, the only thing I did was pull out a skeleton archer I'd basecoated in Aged Bone and demonstrate a quick and sloppy wash and drybrushing to my younger, artistically-minded sister-in-law. That was it.

post-11389-0-45236800-1376348818_thumb.jpg

(bonus sparkly nails! I chopped them off as soon as I got home, they're very impractical for pretty much everything except looking nice)

post-11389-0-33746500-1376348783_thumb.jpg

Oh well, it was still an awesome vacation. I'll post a link to the WIP for this when I'm done writing it up, I'm very happy with how it eventually turned out!

Huzzah!

• Like 6

Minis have been (slowly) getting painted, I just haven't had the time to do nice write-ups until now due to life exploding in my face last week which caused me to have to re-evaluate my life plans for the next few years. The dust has settled now, though, so now I can talk about all the fun things I've been learning since I last posted! :)

...No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

1) I finished painting the second Skeleton Archer, my WIP is here.

2) I spent a few hours removing all of the mold lines from the mini I'm doing for the Summer Mini Exchange. (I wanted to be thorough, since this is going to be for somebody else :) )

3) Discovered the awesomeness that is sanding needles and removed flash from a few other minis.

4) FINALLY discovered what the probable root cause of the paint flaking off of my (non-KS) Bugbear's mace handle was (more on that later).

5) Basecoated the exchange mini.

6) Finished Rat #4, and learned some more things about washes in the process. (I'll do a quick, separate WIP post after this one)

7) Fixed up the staff of one of our PC minis, [ulr=http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/previews/z-a/77040]Satheras, Male Warlock[/url], with Apoxie Sculpt, because I've never liked the big dent in it right where he's holding it. I thought it was a casting error until I looked at him in the Preview Gallery.

8) Began the modification process of my PC mini by removing most of the shield from her left arm. I'll do a separate post about that too, since I'm definitely going to need some help figuring out how to proceed. I've never done an actual conversion before, so this will be a huge learning experience. ^_^

Whew! So, I have been busy, just not on the boards. I have been updating my number of painted Bones in my signature, though, which has made me happy. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

OKAY, so, for the Bugbear's mace handle, I'd basecoated it in Walnut Brown followed by the metallic in all of my attempts at fixing it. It never occurred to me that it might be my Walnut Brown that was the issue (not the original issue, since I originally used craft paint, but that's neither here nor there).

I've taken to keeping my WIP minis in one of the little brown boxes that the KS paints came in, just because it's handy having them all in one place. I don't have a Shelf of Shame, so a Box of Shame Imagination will have to do. :) The other day as I was poking through them looking for Rat #4, I realized that Rat #10 and the parts of Mr. Bones that I'd basecoated in Walnut Brown had bits of paint missing here and there. So did Rat #11, which was basecoated in Pure Black. I then recalled my second Skeleton Archer (also basecoated in Walnut Brown) had a bit of paint chip off the front of his base, and just recently had a bit chip off of his bow after I was done, which I'd left largely Walnut Brown.

All of this is pointing to my bottle of Walnut Brown not being a good choice to basecoat with, at least straight onto unpainted Bones. I'd been careful with washing and rinsing all of the minis mentioned, and had handled them little to none during the painting process.

This makes me sad, because I really like the coverage I get with it. I've added a bottle of Reaper's brush on primer to my next order, which will be placed as soon as husband gets a new job. In the meantime, I'll basecoat in Pure White, since I haven't noticed any problems with that particular paint (yet).

Since I don't want to do another all-talky post, here's a couple of action shots of our PC minis from last night's game:

post-11389-0-69168200-1377400484_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-85921600-1377400500_thumb.jpg

Huzzah!

• Like 7

I know! Crazy idea, isn't it? What's even crazier is that they're being used...

And they aren't even painted yet. *gasp*

Oh, I forgot to mention that the black panther minis are, sadly, not from Reaper. I don't actually have any idea WHO they're from, we picked them up, along with a handful of other small rubber critters (like the hermit crab in the bottom right of the first shot) at a tiny mall in Seaside, OR. The black dire bat mini in the first shot is from I think Wizards of the Coast. I would have gone Reaper, but I really didn't like their Dire Bat, plus it was metal and more spendy than I wanted.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot

Certainly! :D I'm looking forward to sharing my character's backstory, she's a ton of fun. :)

Here's Rat #4, who doesn't have a name yet. She turned out the best of the lot, so far. It's fun to put all my finished rats together and see how much I've improved from one to the other! :)

Basecoat was Tanned Leather, the second one from the left in this pic (this is an older pic, from when I'd gone through and basecoated each of the rats a different color):

post-11389-0-17839400-1377469887_thumb.jpg

Since wash + drybrushing worked pretty well in the past for causing the shallowly sculpted fur to show up, I decided to use Reaper's Brown Wash for starters. I diluted it the same way I have been, 1 drop wash to 4 drops water, but when I started applying it, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of pigment that was actually settling in the crevices. So I mixed up another batch, this time 1 drop Wash to 3 drops water. That was a little better, but it still wasn't staying put. I then tried 1 drop wash to 2 drops water, which was better still, but every time the brush went over a spot that I'd already done, it kept lifting the pigment back out. 1 drop Wash to 1 drop water, similar results. <_< (I wish I'd taken pics, but I was too focused on trying to make the wash work)

Finally in frustration, I put a few drops of the straight wash in my welled palette and started slathering it all over the mini. To my complete surprise, not only did it show the fur up beautifully, but it didn't darken the basecoat as much as I'd been afraid it would. So I finished going over the whole mini with the undiluted Brown Wash, with these results:

post-11389-0-05314100-1377470302_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-55078100-1377470320_thumb.jpg

These pictures really don't do it justice, I realize it's because of the white background, but honestly I was too happy to be painting again to take the time to set up a good photo spot. ^_^

Next I drybrushed the basecoat back on over that, but I was more careful this time. I made sure to wipe the loaded brush out on a paper towel until I couldn't see ANY more paint coming out, and THEN I started drybrushing. This not only gave me better control of where the paint ended up, I was very surprised at just how long that one brushful lasted. Even when I thought that there couldn't possibly be any more paint in it, I'd move to a new spot and there would still be Tanned Leather coming off the brush. :)

post-11389-0-31917900-1377470541_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-41746000-1377470564_thumb.jpg

The patchy looking spots in the top pic are due to small dents in the mini; they're all like that, and it's sort of annoying since drybrushing really shows them up. Anyways, the second pic really shows how well that wash did in bringing the fur out. Washing still = magic :lol: .

Next I did the eyes and teeth, Walnut Brown and Pure White, respectively. The Pure White turned out to be way too stark on this darker rat, so I went over it again with Aged Bone and was happy with the result. I did the line between her teeth with Walnut Brown, and tidied it up with more Aged Bone.

post-11389-0-41602000-1377470740_thumb.jpg

Last was the tail, paws, ears and nose. The mix I'd used for the previous three rats I knew would be both too pink and too light for this one, so I substituted 1 drop Tanned Skin for the 1 drop Fair Skin, adding 3 TT of Blood Red to make the Tanned Skin a little more pink. After doing the tail, instead of painting the entirety of each paw, I just did a little bit on each toe, sort of like a highlight, and I really liked how that left the definition between the toes from the wash while still making the paws a different color. After painting the insides of the ears and the tip of the nose, followed by a quick bit of thinned wash over the ears and tail, Rat #4 is finished!

post-11389-0-88681700-1377471275_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-61094100-1377471287_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-94022800-1377471299_thumb.jpg

Lessons learned:

1) Perhaps thinning Reaper's premixed washes isn't necessary. More experimentation will be required.

2) Careful drybrushing looks a lot better than quick messy drybrushing, and doesn't actually take much more time.

3) Actually having a "dry" brush while drybrushing does interesting things to colors. While straight Tanned Leather is very much a yellowy-orangeish, the drybrushing turned out a lot more tan. I liked the look a lot in this case, but I'll have to watch for that in the future.

Stay tuned for PC minis, with the rest of the rats scattered among them! :)

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4

I said I'd do a post about the beginning of my PC character's journey along the modification path, so here goes!

My PC character's name is Etuné Yamra, a fun-loving chaotic good halfling with a fuzzy concept of personal belongings and a blatant disregard for her own safety. She was raised by gnomes, and worships a handpuppet named Banjo (for those of you familiar with the Order of the Stick webcomic, yes, that Banjo. Long story.).

She is and has always been a dual-wielding rogue, and the mini that I felt most represented her, http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/heatherlark/a-z/77164'>Elliwyn Heatherlark, gnome bard, has a sword and a shield. Looking through the other small-sized minis, I discovered that one of the http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/kobold/a-z/77010'>Kobold sculpts, the one with the spear and sword, had exactly the right size blade to do a swap. The only issues would be removing the shield from her arm without a) removing her arm, and b) having to resculpt part of her arm once the shield removal was finished.

I haven't done a serious conversion before, ever, so this is new territory for me. Also, even though I've taken several years of ceramics, sculpting is still something I'm not terribly good at, but I figured that the back half of an arm wouldn't be too bad.

I started by using my Xacto knife and carefully shaving the shield off piece by piece. I used a thimble for safety, since I needed to hold her arm in place due to the typical Bones flexibility.

post-11389-0-80992500-1377480619_thumb.jpg

I did this during game night, so the lighting isn't the greatest, but here's a general "after" pic:

post-11389-0-35902600-1377480607_thumb.jpg

Now, here's the part where I need some help.

I've done as much as I feel I safely can with my Xacto, it's so difficult to hold her arm in place with so little material left that I'm afraid I'll end up cutting off too much (or my finger). Here's some close-ups of what's left:

post-11389-0-81851000-1377480748_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-33322400-1377480760_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-69385900-1377480771_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-33124000-1377480800_thumb.jpg

The front of her arm, as seen in the top picture, I'm very happy with. The little bit that's still sticking out I can remove with needle files and sanding needles. I'm not sure how to go about trimming off the chunky bit that's on the back of her arm. I don't have access to a drill of any sort, and funds are extremely limited right now. Should I just chop off the entire back of her arm and resculpt it? Try and use my files and needles to shave it down to approximately the right shape?

Should I post this in the "Sculpting" section of the forums?

I'm not trying for display quality, I just want something that will look okay from a couple feet away. I should be fine doing the sword swap on my own, it's just this bit that I'm stuck on.

Any and all help/advice is very greatly appreciated!!

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 1

Interesting about the Walnut Brown. I think that came up with spiders in my WIP request thread, too. I was using old Walnut Brown from the pro paint, and I think somebody was using the new and had the same problem.

Certain colours are weird. I have some blues and greens that are poorly-behaved on their own, and generally solve the issue by laying down a basecoat of Reaper Brown Liner. Pro Paint Elven Green and Breonne Blue simply will not stick to Bones.

Every paint brand I've used has one or two in it like this, so I figure it's normal.

You can use a push pin, heated, and handled very carefully, or a similarly handled needle to put a hole in her hand. As for the blocky part I can see a couple of ways you can handle it. Probably the easiest I can think of off the top of my head would be to shave it down more contoured with her arm and shape it as a large leather bracer that overlaps the back of her hand/knuckles. You should be able to do that no problem with some judicious of application of hobby knife and abrasives (taking all precautions for fingers is recommended).

• Like 1