OneBoot's Bones 1 Kickstarter Figures WIP (picture heavy)

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

::o: Loim, that's a perfect idea! I should be able to do that without too much difficulty, and it would give a reason for the random leather strap around her forearm that I was just going to ignore otherwise. Thank you!

@Slendertroll - That's not a bad idea, and I may end up resorting to that if I can't get the bracer thing to work. It would mean a bit of sculpting on my part, since even though both minis are technically Small, the kobold is actually quite a bit smaller. Also, the kobold's arm is quite a bit skinnier since he isn't wearing a glove, while Etune is. So, I could make it work, but if I just did a straight arm swap and didn't do anything else, it would be noticeable. Thanks for the idea!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot

That is a brilliant idea! I've been trying to figure out how to stabilize her arm enough to trim back that last little bit, and I think clippers would work fabulously while sparing me slicing my fingers to ribbons. Thank you!!

I'm waiting for my magnifier headband thingy to arrive before proceeding with Etune's conversion, since I finally realized that the reason I keep getting a headache after working on minis is because my glasses are a long-distance prescription. I can paint okay without them, but details a bit fuzzy. Magnification should help with that until I can get a close-up prescription. ::):

In other news, I FINALLY FIGURED OUT MACRO MODE ON MY CAMERA!! I'm so happy! The pics in this post are from yesterday, so I hadn't figured it out yet, but hopefully this will go a long ways to improving my pictures. That, and I'm setting up my light box tonight, which will help even more! Huzzah! :bday:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, WIP time!

Next up is Rat #5, which Husband named Scruffy (sort of. It's more that he said it looked all scruffy, like a proper rat, so I went with it ^_^ )

Note: several of the pics will be fuzzy, due to my hands not being as steady as usual as well as my forgetting to turn on the "hand movement compensator" thingy on the camera

Scruffy was basecoated in Tanned Skin, as seen second from the left:

post-11389-0-96558000-1377561954_thumb.jpg

One application of straight MSP Brown Wash later, details are visible!

post-11389-0-50639000-1377562033_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-69954900-1377562085_thumb.jpg

Drybrushing the Tanned Skin back on was where things got...interesting. I mentioned in my previous post how my actually dry drybrushing seemed to change the color being drybrushed, and, well...that happened again here. The Tanned Skin went on a sort of light tan, which was not my original intention. It looks better in the pic than it did in person, and I wasn't terribly pleased with it, but Husband liked it, so I guess I'm okay with it too. :)

post-11389-0-39754500-1377562233_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-81656000-1377562250_thumb.jpg

Next came the eyes. I decided to break out my Windsor & Newton Series 7 size 1 nice brush for the first time, which was probably a mistake; I really should have taken the time to learn the brush before trying to do something tiny and detailed. Regardless, I was excited to use it, so I dipped it in some unthinned Walnut Brown and tried to do my usual round dot rat eyes.

It...didn't quite work. I had to apply a bit of pressure, rather than the paint sitting on the outside of the brush and my just having to dot it on, and this caused a blob of paint rather than a dot. I "erased" it with Tanned Skin and tried again. And again. And tried the other eye a few times.

post-11389-0-44476400-1377562499_thumb.jpg

I finally gave up in frustration and went back to my Reaper Pro Paint #30-0. I was kinda grumpy at this point, which may have affected my brush control some, because I had more trouble with the teeth than I've had since my first rat.

post-11389-0-15077700-1377562573_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-97657400-1377562624_thumb.jpg

I can laugh about it now, but it did nothing to improve my mood at the time. -_-

After quite a bit of going back and forth with the Aged Bone and Walnut Brown straightening them out and tidying them up, I felt a little better, since they turned out quite well in the end.

post-11389-0-39378600-1377562876_thumb.jpg

Next up was the tail/ears/paws/nose. I couldn't use the same mix I'd used on the last rat, since it was too close to the basecoat of this one. So, I decided to play around and see what I came up with. I started with 1 drop Tanned Skin and 1 drop Fair Skin. I then mixed in Blood Red, one toothpick-tipful at a time, until it looked pinkish enough (I think it was 3).

post-11389-0-12139400-1377563897_thumb.jpg

Look at his cute widdle nosie!

post-11389-0-58458800-1377563917_thumb.jpg

I then tidied up around his tail and paws with the base color, and did a thinned wash over his tail and ears. I then did the cement lines with Pure White and my #20-0 brush. It still took awhile to get them straight, though, and I ended up needing to tidy them up quite a bit. But, Scruffy is now finished!

post-11389-0-53623200-1377564550_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-50069700-1377564562_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-37702600-1377564572_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-67539300-1377564601_thumb.jpg

By the way, if anyone's tired of rats, I can easily cut the WIP posts down by a lot. It'll also speed things up on the painting end of things. If my flubs and mistakes and learning processes are still helpful, though, I'll keep posting! :) I will be taking a break to work on something different and much more challenging, though.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4

I have had good luck freezing the Bones models first and then working them with files or fine sandpaper. That little bit extra stiffness seems to keep most of the burrs from forming. It doesn't work as well with thin pieces, like spears or swords, as the material heats up too fast. But for the thicker areas, it has worked well for me.

• Like 4

I shall have to try that! But all work on Etune is on hold until my magnifier arrives; it should get here tomorrow (er, today) or the day after.

Non-painting post!

First of all, The Master's Brush Cleaner is pretty amazing stuff. I spent some time giving my brushes the TLC I really have been neglecting (in case it's hard to see, that is a synthetic that used to be pure white. :wacko:

post-11389-0-11534800-1377587631_thumb.jpg

They are much happier now!

post-11389-0-15755200-1377587670_thumb.jpg

I had a couple of synthetics that I'd thought I'd removed all of the paint from using just water, but the soap proved me very wrong!

post-11389-0-50973200-1377587717_thumb.jpg

Secondly, test of newly discovered macro mode on my camera!

post-11389-0-99239100-1377589019_thumb.jpg

Thirdly, here's the belated pics of my work on http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/z-a/77040'>Satheras, Male Warlock, which as you can see from the link has a big chunk missing from his staff right next to his hand (not sure why this is, the metal version doesn't seem to have this problem). I'm quite pleased with my Apoxie results!

post-11389-0-39298300-1377588932_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-51547400-1377588944_thumb.jpg

Fourthly, I acquired a new container to use as a wet palette earlier today, it's easily three times the size of the one I've been using so far, though not quite as air-tight. I'll try putting some tape across the hinge to help with that.

post-11389-0-10656700-1377589209_thumb.jpg

Lastly, a picture of all my completed minis so far. It makes me happy. ::):

post-11389-0-57539800-1377589276_thumb.jpg

It also makes me realize that I need to get cracking painting something other than rats. Although, I really want to finish them.... Dilemma. :upside:

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4

Insomnia dictated that another rat was to be painted, so I complied.

Rat #6 this time, basecoated in Oiled Leather. I'd forgotten that she's already had a light Brown Wash on her, back in June, when I was figuring out what the heck washes were.

post-11389-0-54752300-1377590432_thumb.jpg

Since it did very little to actually define the fur, I went back over it with an unthinned Brown Wash. I'm nearing the point where I'll have to transition to mixing my own washes, since the Brown Wash won't really work for the really dark colors. That's when I'll start to get CRAZY and make more of my own washes.

For SCIENCE. :upside:

Anyways, here's with the straight Brown Wash.

post-11389-0-12134400-1377592819_thumb.jpg

And drybrushing of Oiled Leather basecoat, as usual. I did my best, but this particular sculpt has nearly nonexistent fur. It stands out a bit better in person, but not much.

post-11389-0-71556200-1377592900_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-69076300-1377592915_thumb.jpg

And with that, sleep is actually calling, yay! (at nearly 3am, but better late than never :unsure: )

Huzzah!

• Like 5

Fourthly, I acquired a new container to use as a wet palette earlier today, it's easily three times the size of the one I've been using so far, though not quite as air-tight. I'll try putting some tape across the hinge to help with that.

Saran Wrap!

Depending on how mobile you want to be, the plastic wrap alone is enough to seal it, that's what I've been doing with my dinner plate wet palette. It will keep paint fresh for a couple weeks. If you need to be more mobile, just pop the lid on over the wrap.

• Like 1

I like how your practicing on the rats and they are coming out great! Neat how you have done them different colors, whats your favorite rat?Numbering them was smart. love the brick. looking forward to the warlock and tiefling.

Yet another technique to learn... wet palette, before I go whole hog and do Afew hours of study on it,

What's the pros and cons of a wet palette? How are you finding it over a normal palette (dry palette?). Also about ur w&n (ordering mine today) have you just tried it once and found I frustrating?(it holding the paint differently)

Looking awesome oneboot huzzah :p

Thank you! :) My best so far is probably unnamed female rat #4, but my favorite is still Stuart, my first one (the white one). He's just so darn cute. :) I've decided to number all of the "monster" type minis to help Husband (or myself, or whoever else is DMing) with keeping track of baddies. I'm also trying to add something individual to each one that I have multiples of to make it easier to tell from a few feet away which monster is which.

Wet palettes are wonderful! In my opinion:

Pros:

--Keep paint usable much much longer, important if you live in a dry climate (like me)

--Allow for saving paint, nice if you mixed up a good color and want to keep using it for a few days

Cons:

--Can and will develop mold if not cleaned regularly. I've heard that keeping a completely copper penny (pre- 1982 for US pennies) in it will help with that, but I have yet to try it

--Not good to try and mix washes in

Making your own is as easy as getting a few folded paper towels wet, putting them in a plastic or ceramic storage container of some kind, putting a little more water in the container (no higher than the towels), then covering the paper towels with baking paper (it's called Parchment Paper in the US). It's quick to replace the towels and paper, easy to clean, and much cheaper than buying one from the store.

I find my dry, welled palette useful for mixing up washes and thinned paints because it holds the runnier liquid in one place. Also, I tend to grab it if I just need to do a quick touch-up and won't be doing a full-on painting session. This...generally tends to lead to a full painting session, though. ^_^

As far as my W&N, I think it was that it was a different size and shape from what I'm used to, plus I was generally sort of irritable that day to begin with. I found one of my synthetics that's a similar size and shape, and am using it almost exclusively to get me used to the different way of handling it before going back to the W&N. The biggest difference is that the tiny brushes tend to have the paint sitting on the outside of the bristles, while the bigger brushes hold the paint inside the brush itself. This means less going back and forth getting more paint and less likelihood of the paint drying on the brush, but it also means that I need to be careful so that the paint doesn't flood out of the brush all at once. It'll take some getting used to, but I know I'll be better off learning now while I'm just starting out, rather than later one when my habits are set. ::):

I'm glad you're enjoying my WIP thread, I'm always worried that my posts are too long, or that there's too many pictures, or that I'm talking way too much! This thread has actually turned into a bit of a painting journal for me, since I've been so detailed, and I'm considering downloading it and saving it somewhere.

Huzzah!

• Like 2

So, the only painting I've gotten done since I last posted painty stuff is drybrushing Rat #6 with Oiled Leather, and I figured there wasn't a need to post pics of that since nothing funky or enlightening happened.

The reason so little painting has happened is because I've been distracted with trying to make http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?104495-Milk-Jug-Lightbox'>this. It was quite the adventure, mostly because I didn't really follow the directions. In my defense, I tried modifying the design so that I could fit the awesome backgrounds into the jug that I'd printed from http://corvusminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/04/cloud-backdrops-for-your-miniature.html'>here.

This did not go well. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I started off cutting off the top part of the jug, like the directions said to. Then I figured if I cut out one side of the jug, I could fit the backgrounds in! Which...didn't work. So, I cut off another side.

post-11389-0-88648900-1377766927_thumb.jpg

Now the background could fit, diagonally, but the thing is, I'd forgotten the whole point of a light box in the first place. It's to diffuse the light, not just hold a background. The following are the test pics I did with the jug as it was.

This was the setup I originally tried:

post-11389-0-25362300-1377767246_thumb.jpg

Which really did not work. So I flipped the jug over on its side so that the cut parts were on the desk and on the side opposite the light. This worked a lot better, but still not great. I also cut the background down so it could actually slide into the jug.

Picture with no extra external lighting aside from the floor lamps I always use:

post-11389-0-48843400-1377767266_thumb.jpg

Waaaay too dark. Next is with an external light held right next to the outside of the jug (the light is one that's meant to be stuck to a surface and is no longer sticky, so I had to hold it up):

post-11389-0-76774600-1377768006_thumb.jpg

Better, but I don't like the fact that his whole right side (his perspective) is in shadow. Next, I tried the same external light on the cut side:

post-11389-0-84464700-1377767209_thumb.jpg

Ugh, no. Just, no.

Next, with a cut side facing the floor lamp, no hand-held light:

post-11389-0-89403800-1377767542_thumb.jpg

Not bad, but those highlights are pretty stark. It was extremely difficult to take a picture that got the entire mini without also getting parts of the jug.

I came to the conclusion that this jug just wasn't going to work. So I set about acquiring another one. Husband came over and wondered why I was pouring the rest of the 1% milk into the 2% jug. I explained that I wasn't any more crazy than usual, I just needed to make a light box. He sort of shrugged and went back to what he was doing.

While I waited for the new jug to dry after washing it, just for fun I decided to try just sticking the background on the keyboard tray of my computer desk the way I usually take pics with the towel background. No extra lights, nothing fancy.

Here's the setup:

post-11389-0-76631500-1377767847_thumb.jpg

And the result:

post-11389-0-77343300-1377767868_thumb.jpg

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Maybe I should just give up on the milk jug idea, because that last pic looks way better than any of the ones I took using the light box.

Huzzah!

• Like 5

A proper light tent setup can help get better pics, but a little time in Photoshop/GIMP can get you as good or better result by tweaking contrast/brightness. Of course some people have issues with that, saying that you are not representing your model truly if you are using post processing, but while that is certainly possible, *I* know that I am only using it to get the picture on the screen to match the mini in my hand as closely as I can.

• Like 1