Bones international orders question re: ticker

I don't know if UPS is short-staffed, but the USPS has been the recipient of some savagely austere budget cuts and has laid off tens of thousands of workers this year alone, as well as consolidated mail handling facilities. Someone in the government seriously has it in for the USPS, I think. Anyhow, the main thing is that although historically it has provided much more stellar service than it has generally been credited for, right now the USPS is struggling.

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pingo:

The USPS stuff is a mess, at least where I live. My office no longer has a dedicated carrier, so mail can take anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks for an in-town letter to get to me. First the retirement mandate, now slashing funding...I think you're right, someone [or some caucus] wants to see USPS privatized, and is doing their worst to make it as attractive of a proposition as possible.

It's a shame, too...where else could you send a letter anywhere in the country for less than 50c?

Edited by Foxden Racing

Someone wants "living closer to our means*" to be painful enough that they get more money to play with. The USPS is a very visible target.

On a local level, the equivalent is cutting the hours of libraries and closing branches.

* Not "within our means"; never that.

For anyone trying to get Reaper to ship your stuff differently, good luck. I asked a few days ago and I got a "It'll be difficult to find your specific order, I'm afraid." from Kit. I'm assuming that I'm politley being told to bugger off, or that as a Canadian order, my stuff is wrapped up on a pallet waiting for the incompetent boobs from UPS to durdle by Reaper HQ and pick up the orders.

I wish they had just charged extra and shipped it via USPS. I've had other kickstarter stuff (including a number of 6+ pound items) sent this way and never had a problem with customs or duty.

These bones were going to be my summer project between semesters, but it seems as if that is looking increasingly unlikely to happen.

I dunno if USPS would have made a difference, given that RoW is waiting on them.

I mean, my patience is a bit frayed too. But the thing is that it's an accumulation of stuff and not the responsibility of any one, easily scapegoated, party. Canada just hit every branch on the problem tree. From customs turning back the Sophie molds, to the extraordinarily drawn out brokerage stuff, and then finally getting some positive news with early shipping only to get thrown back into the queue without knowing what's going on. Which, for me anyway, was grotesquely exacerbated when some (all reported thus far, actually) of the escapees got to their destinations. (yes, I'd actually have felt better if none of them made it because then, at least, stopping the line would have been proved warranted)

It's made it challenging to stay positive.

• Like 2

Knowing Kit as poorly as I do from the few times we've chatted, I'm betting that the response to Squarewave's is somewhere in the middle...shorthand for "We've printed all the books, and sifting through 5,000 packing lists by hand to find yours isn't feasible at this point. Assuming it's not already wrapped and ready to go. Sorry..."

I still anxiously await good news for the non-domestic guys [even though I'm domestic], and even when I had skin in the game would be insisting that I wait to get the non-domestic stuff sorted as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

I'm cool with waiting until the US books are done. Even cool with waiting for RoW if they come immediately after. It's the limbo I don't like. Watching the US orders dwindle down, knowing only Can and RoW remains, and not knowing what Wednesday will bring.

And, at this point, I've rather been conditioned not to look forward. I love Reaper, I'm not blaming Reaper, I'm not even necessarily blaming UPS. But, purely circumstantially, it's been a bit of a tease.

I think the ticker although initially a good idea, has turned into a look at all these US people getting there bones.......you see that number that's left......you know the ones for people who haven't got theirs yet.......that's YOU that is.

I get you, Buglips; perfect storms and all that.

That said, I'm OK with waiting too, especially if I could trade instant gratification on my part for goodwill towards Reaper from the guys that haven't been doing business with them for ages to know things going wrong like this are out of character for them. First impressions are make or break, and SuperMurphy has put a lot of bad tastes in the mouths of a lot of first-time customers. If I could have been held off for a few days to abate that, it's worth it.

Here's hoping it all gets sorted soon. The bones must flow, and indiscriminately!

• Like 1

What I fear is not so much the wait (annoying as it is, Reaper can do no more at the moment) is what happens when the USA is done and they still can't shift Canada and/or ROW

They've got distributors who will be wanting bones to sell. So far Reaper have been very good and stuck to shipping to KS backers only but how long will they be prepared to kill their cashflow if ROW/Canada still prove difficult ?

At some point they will have to start making money from the Bones they've got warehoused but it would still be really frustrating

If they hit the online store before my KS package has shipped, my mind will snap with a bang loud enough to be heard around the world.

Is it wrong that I want to hear that sound...?

I'm trying to be as nonchalant as I can about this whole thing now. It stung ever day having to tell my housemate who went in on my order with me (because he doesn't get the KS updates, or read the KS page, or the forums much) every piece of news about our order being delayed. Also changed the date of my Facebook event for the painting meet I wanted to do to 'I'll call you all when I re-schedule a final date' after pushing it back 5 times already. Also told my DM a few times when he asks me if he can borrow 'x' mini that 'my Reaper stuff isn't here yet...'

Currently distracting myself with anticipation of the Summer Reaper exchange, looking forward to the 10th when partners are given out.

• Like 5

I have been a great supporter of Reaper, I recommend them to my friends and fellow painters often, in many ways i've been a bit of a fanboy about them and have been willing to accept any excuse at face value.

I'm afraid that's no longer the case.

I managed a medium sized mail order company for several years so my observations do have some basis in fact, and unless the US treats its business partners differently to how the UKs are (which is highly unlikely), the chances of the carrier not having a truck on site within 24hrs of it being asked for is zero. Competition among carriers is pretty stiff and Reaper will have an account manager for each of the carriers they use, all of those account managers will be going the extra mile to help them with their issues to build the relationship and gain more business. Not being able to get a truck is a ridiculous reason.

The chances of Reaper not having a plan in place for dealing with the ROW orders at least weeks in advance is also zero, which suggests to me that we're getting a bit of 'spin' on the story. It also supports Foxfire's theory that the ROW orders are being put on hold until double checked for Kaladrax issues because of the extra shipping costs.

Delays are unavoidable, but poor communication with loyal customers is unforgivable.

Edited by Hawker