Bones international orders question re: ticker

Darkmatter

It is ironic, and makes Reaper look pretty bad, that the communication was regular, detailed and done through the update system when they were asking for our money. It only changed once they had the cash...

Now, I don't think that Reaper is that kind of company, or that they are that kind of people, but it is a very easy way to look at the communication problems and it shows Reaper in a pretty terrible light.

I'm a Reaper fan and have loads of pre-KS Reaper minis. I know their customer service is usually top-notch. Other backers might not.

While Reaper loses lots and gains nothing from delays... the same might be said for poor communication. As well as finding it frustrating, I don't see what Reaper gains.

It's very odd.

• Like 1

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Reaper fan and have loads of pre-KS Reaper minis. I know their customer service is usually top-notch. Other backers might not.

This is important.

I'd never even heard of Reaper before KS. There was a lot of goodwill initially due to the great value of the product they offered, especially as the Vampire level just kept getting better and better, but that goodwill has eroded over the past year. Now I can only rely on the assurances of people like yourself that Reaper is a good company which normally has great customer service. The fact that so many people are quick to say so certainly makes a persuasive argument, and I'm willing to give Reaper the benefit of the doubt.

@theleast - It probably isn't a pleasant thing to not have any experience with Reaper and be one of the international backers who have not received your product yet. I have felt this way in another Kickstarter where I took a chance on someone venturing into business. His communication was sporadic before and during shipment time. I eventually got my product and was very happy with it. The project creator said the post office lost an entire shipment which he sent and those without their items could only take his word for it.

But it can be scary to think that you may have paid a lot of money and end up with nothing. I have only received mine because I ordered a LOT of stuff and made it into the first shipment.

If it helps, they have always been quick to ship and fast and friendly with their communication in the past, and I am speaking of what I have experienced myself, not reiterating someone else's statement. i have no reason to believe they will leave anyone in the lurch.

A bit off-topic, but since this is an often visited thread for people who may be wondering who they have given all their money to, I thought I'd re-share one of Reaper's official video's about their company and the people who work there. I *believe* it was made as a response to some questions on the Reaper forum (or Kickstarter comments?) after the Kickstarter finished, but I'm too lazy to bother working out if I remember this correctly now. I like seeing stuff like this and thought the new people here might be interested. There is a lot more to the Reaper story than this, but I have NO idea where I read that as it was a few years ago.

For those reading my comments defending Reaper, I am not slamming people who are upset. I am upset. But I am not the blamey kind of upset because 1. I have been on these boards and buying Reaper's stuff and reading Reaper folks unscripted comments since around 2001, 2. I have lived through business disasters and near-disasters, including successful projects that by the end-game had everyone wishing it had just failed early and saved on the drama, and 3. honestly, a shipment of toys being late doesn't even register on my "real world problems" scale. OK, 4. This was a KS project. The stock was not in hand. The stock was not being manufactured. The manufacturing equipment to make the stock was not finalized. (I am trying not to shout.)

BUT I am getting antsy and impatient because I really want those cool toys. And someone with a different perspective than mine could very well be getting very angry even though they're basically a reasonably nice, generally rational person, and I've been there too. Having your expectations continually re calibrated in an atmosphere of uncertainty is very painful, and watching other people enjoy their neat stuff is emotionally... churny. It gets your expectations wound up even tighter and the let-down is harder and you can't even let go of the anticipation and just zen through it because yours MIGHT arrive tomorrow it might it might it MIGHT!

But then it doesn't.

So I'm saying everyone needs to be cool. And you know, if not, and you get a mod-bat to the face, well, then, philosophically and rationally, you just have to remember that I am sitting here laughing, because bats to the face are hilarious.

• Like 2

What I don't understand is why the speed of handling the orders suddenly fell off a cliff. For weeks we'd see 600-800 orders being handled each day, and once there was just around 2000 left, it just ground to a halt. You'd think it would be enough with 3-4 days after that, not a month. It would have been much easier for me to accept why I'd go for another month or two without receiving my stuff if there was any kind of explanation for this drastic change of handling now that there's so few of us left. This difference is the main reason why I feel neglected as a backer.

Edited by lilljonas
  • Like 2

What I don't understand is why the speed of handling the orders suddenly fell off a cliff.

Wasn't that because the first weeks they did the 'simple' orders? Much easier and quicker to pack 800 single Vampires than having to pick and check and double check and pack pledges with multiple add-ons.

What I don't understand is why the speed of handling the orders suddenly fell off a cliff.

Wasn't that because the first weeks they did the 'simple' orders? Much easier and quicker to pack 800 single Vampires than having to pick and check and double check and pack pledges with multiple add-ons.

Obviously not when it comes to ROW orders, as when they packed Vamp+10-20 extras orders for US backers, they could churn out hundreds of orders a day. The last ROW orders, even if you take the average speed of the absolutely slowest of the US packing days, should have been handled in a week or so. I'm in for Vamp + a dozen extras, and the US people I know who ordered that amount got them a long time ago.

How they are sending out the ROW is also a complete mystery, as I've seen other ROW backers ordering the same amount as me receive theirs already. Myself, I haven't even gotten an e-mail that the order is packed. Even at a pace of a couple of dozen orders per day (compared to the 500-800/day we saw for the US), it should have been finished by now. Unless there is something else stopping them. And if there's something else stopping them, I'd like to know. Which goes back to step 1, that the source of this frustration is bad communication.

Edited by lilljonas
  • Like 1

USPS made them change the way they were doing things. They made them pre-postmark everything for a future date, then made them pack according to country. This was after they had started packing ROW. What is the point of having a Rep if they don't tell them how to do things until after they've started them? That was the USPS rep. The UPS Rep seemed like a pain too. Seems like they screwed them up more than help them.

What I don't understand is why the speed of handling the orders suddenly fell off a cliff. For weeks we'd see 600-800 orders being handled each day, and once there was just around 2000 left, it just ground to a halt. You'd think it would be enough with 3-4 days after that, not a month. It would have been much easier for me to accept why I'd go for another month or two without receiving my stuff if there was any kind of explanation for this drastic change of handling now that there's so few of us left. This difference is the main reason why I feel neglected as a backer.

I'm pretty sure it's because UPS or whoever they're using are screwing them over on the shipping. They indicated they were having difficulty getting a truck in for the ROW shipping, had one day of frenzied activity last week, and then as far as I'm aware nothing has shipped since. That kinda points to difficulty getting another truck. If they're getting one per week, that'd (a) explain the proposed timeline and (b) explain the 'hurry up and wait' shipping model.

Of course, without any information from Reaper on just what is happening, this is speculation at best. Assume I'm right at your own risk.

I think the early speed was also US orders. One postal system, one address system, one charge schedule, and it covered most of their customers. Now they're sending stuff to Australia, Brazil, the Netherlands... I suspect that it is much more complicated and the error rate will be far higher.

I mean, what if they had to send stuff to Woollomooloo? Talangatta? Humpy Creek? How the hell do you even spell that? What if they have to mail it to that town in Austria?

I've been a huge advocate for Reaper both on my blog and in person. I've submitted photos of the figures i've painted and they have been used to advertise the retail products (like many of you) and i've waxed lyrically about the quality of both the range and the individual figures.

But frankly this experience has spoiled a great relationship.

I can accept the delays, that's understandable and forgivable. But being kept in the dark about whats going on when those delays happen is not.

Reaper's communication in this process has been very poor and has turned one raving and enthusiastic fan into a disappointed cynical critic, I doubt i'm the only one.

*Edit

Oh yeah, no Bones, no email, no communication to explain yet another delay.

Edited by Hawker
  • Like 1

Now they're sending stuff to Australia, Brazil, the Netherlands... I suspect that it is much more complicated and the error rate will be far higher.

I am from the Netherlands and I am sorry to say that I still have not yet received any notification that my stuff has been shipped even when fellow countrymen did get such notice and have a bigger order count. Having said that I am still content and waiting patiently until I get an email stating my stuff is about to ship to my humble abode.

The only thing what is upsetting me is that I am afraid someone will have painted all their bones while I have yet to receive mine.

Hopefully, since it will be a week today since the last KS update, they'll give us another one. The Canadian thread was hounding Reaper about where their orders were earlier, and Reaper had already sent them ages ago (okay, it was only a few grumpy Western Canadians, most of them understand by now that UPS is hopeless after having to deal with their packages having to be sent back to Reaper when they had already gotten to Canada... again, what was the point of having the UPS Rep there to help them?).

Hopefully, since it will be a week today since the last KS update, they'll give us another one. The Canadian thread was hounding Reaper about where their orders were earlier, and Reaper had already sent them ages ago (okay, it was only a few grumpy Western Canadians, most of them understand by now that UPS is hopeless after having to deal with their packages having to be sent back to Reaper when they had already gotten to Canada... again, what was the point of having the UPS Rep there to help them?).

Indeed, I have a friend in Western Canada and she is now in UPS limbo because no one is quite sure where the Western Canada orders have gone. (Eastern Canada deliveries seem just fine, apparently.) Which means that Western Canadian orders, which shipped before the ROW shipments started, are somewhere in UPS's hands with no tracking info and no predicted delivery date. Meanwhile, they get to hear about people all over the world who are now receiving their Bones with no customs problems. So, yeah, waiting for a delivery sucks. And UPS is incompetent a large percentage of the time. And USPS is in a bad way with the government telling them to cut their budget to the point that their performance is suffering. I wish there was something I could do to help everyone out.