Bones international orders question re: ticker

Darkmatter

I asked this on the KS update thread but bought I'd ask here too.

It seems the remaining RoW backers are being taken care off in between sending out the Undertaker Level backers' rewards. I have it fairly clear in my mind that the private backers were going to have their orders fulfilled before the commercial ones. Did I imagine this or have Reaper decided to move the goal posts without acknowledging the change?

W

Edited by Heretic

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its sounding a lot like there will be people here in Australia who will have Vampire boxes purchased and taken home from retail stores before my Kickstarter reward Vampire even arrives in the country.

I cant say Im particularly overjoyed by that idea.

Its sounding a lot like there will be people here in Australia who will have Vampire boxes purchased and taken home from retail stores before my Kickstarter rewards Vampire even are even in the country.

I cant say Im particularly overjoyed by that idea.

If that happens, neither will I. However I think they mispoke themselves - everything we've heard previously points to these "retail orders" being the Undertaker orders, which were US specific. So you might be able to get individual figures from overseas before the order arrives but to be blunt that was the case a couple of months back, when the "Vampire Only" orders shipped and appeared on ebay.

The actual retail shipping is still a fair way off. Going by what Reaper have said previously, about Septemberish.

They've got about 1700 orders to go. 2 weeks ago they had 3100. So, at a rough estimate they're shipping 700 ROW orders a week, and I'm pretty damn sure it's in one truck that arrives in Denton on their Friday.. Given that, they've got about 3 weeks to go, which takes us to Friday 16th August (USAnian time) as the last shipping date.

Now we know they're going large to small (and yes I'm annoyed at that, but given the way they've elfed the ROW shipping around I'm more surprised I didn't see it coming), if we can get a handle on what size orders were processed last week we might be able to put some time frames in place for individual orders. Given I thought they were working in geographical order I didn't bother tracking that. Gimme a couple of hours and I'll see what I can pull together.

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 1

Undertaker orders, which were US specific

Oh, youre right. Need more coffee.

I did correctly interpret it as Undertaker levels, but my half-awake brain forgot that Undertaker doesnt include full Vamp packages and was US only.

• Like 1

I asked this on the KS update thread but bought I'd ask here too.

It seems the remaining RoW backers are being taken care off in between sending out the Undertaker Level backers' rewards. I have it fairly clear in my mind that the private backers were going to have their orders fulfilled before the commercial ones. Did I imagine this or have Reaper decided to move the goal posts without acknowledging the change?

W

I believe you are correct, but I can't spend the time to dig it out and I really can't blame them for doing it this way. If the ROW shipping issues are because USPSASS are screwing them on the trucks, then it makes perfect sense to get the Undertaker orders out (which, from memory, use a different carrier) if they've got capacity sitting around unused.

And yeah Cassu, it is disheartening, but the spice is flowing. Slowly, but we've got more information today than we had yesterday. So credit were it is due, thanks to Reaper for putting together a great, if unintentional, ARG for us ROW backers as we try to put the jigsaw puzzle tgether and work out what the Heck is going on.

Heaven forbid we just get told what's going on, where would the fun be in clear, concise, unambigious communication?

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 1

It makes a lot of sense to think that they are only getting trucks to ship RoW stuff at a set pace, and that if they have ample time to pack for those trucks they use the rest of the time to do Undertaker stuff. Even if psychologically its somewhat frustrating to be told you'll be first and then it not happen.

The only problem with that is if they are limited by truck space, then doing the largest orders first is the most inefficient way to ship. You fit the least number of orders per truck at the beginning, which means the highest possible average wait time out of any scheduling method. When shipping time is already a problem deliberately making the remaining orders wait as long as possible would be a confusing decision to say the least. IIRC originally they said there were efficiency gains in the picking process for larger orders which is why they switched to working largest to smallest, but that no longer applies if they are efficient enough that they have spare time to do Undertaker while waiting for more trucks.

So credit were it is due, thanks to Reaper for putting together a great, if unintentional, ARG for us ROW backers as we try to put the jigsaw puzzle tgether and work out what the Heck is going on.

:lol:

In seriousness, my conclusion from this KS process is that Reaper are extremely friendly, pleasant, enthusiastic communicators (and people). But that they arent good communicators.

• Like 1

The only problem with that is if they are limited by truck space, then doing the largest orders first is the most inefficient way to ship. You fit the least number of orders per truck at the beginning, which means the highest possible average wait time out of any scheduling method.

Academically speaking, that's only true if you're optimizing for maximum orders shipped. If you're optimizing for maximum warehouse space recovered the way they're doing it is the most efficient.

I'm not saying that to defend or decry the method chosen or to debate which way they *should* be doing it; just pointing out that efficiency is relative.

By way of defence I would point out that if they *are* optimizing for warehouse space it may be because they need it. We know that they had to lease extra space to store the shipments from China; maybe there are more shipments coming to fulfill distribution channel orders and/or restock the web store and/or fill direct to retail orders. I could easily understand if they'd like to store as much of that as possible on their own premises to reduce or eliminate the need to lease extra space.

Edited by Dan Goodchild

Academically speaking, that's only true if you're optimizing for maximum orders shipped. If you're optimizing for maximum warehouse space recovered the way they're doing it is the most efficient.

I suppose thats true, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that filling rewards as quickly as possible is still their priority. Ill still stick to that, but given all the the other pieces of communication that didnt quite end up as planned I guess you could make a case for it being an optimistic assumption if you wanted to.

Edited by Caffiene

The worst thing (and best thing) for me is this - in a bit under two weeks I'm leaving town for a 3 week snowboarding trip. I had hoped I'd get my Bones delivered in time to take a selection up with me and get some painting done in the downtime, as I'm getting a bit old for the apres ski lifestyle these days. But if I'm right about them shipping on Fridays, it's pretty much impossible that I'll see them before September now.

Which, thanks to Arnifix, isn't that much of a Big Deal™. The Vampire box I glommed from him will suffice, and I've got enough paints to be going on with. But if I hadn't had that option... well, I'd certainly be a lot more disappointed than I am now.

On the bright side, I should come back down healthy and tanned to a box of goodies waiting for me at work. So yay!

Now, looking at a bit of analysis: insufficient data. No one posted from last weekend indicating how many items were in their order. So, that makes life a little interesting. The last confirmed order I tracked down was a 28 line order shipping on the 17th. So, without more data points I'm unable to make an educated guess as to where they are.

My uneducated guess? Somewhere between 19 - 12 line items, probably down around the 15 or so mark.

I've read a comment on another forum that a ~27 line items email (to an Australian address) occurred last Friday (26th). Assuming that this email is when the whole truck goes out (rather than order by order) then I suppose it doesn't tell us much more than 27 being somewhere in the process order across all of last week.

A new comment on same other forum is that someone is still waiting for a 21 line item order email, so they are evidently still processing in the low-mid twenties.

Edited by ctsteel

One person in the KS comments saying that Reaper have suggested that they won't be finished with RoW until the SECOND week of August now.

I would love to say that this would surprise me but, unfortunately, it wouldn't. I think the only way to retain my last few shreds of sanity at this point is to stop checking here for updates and just wait for the package to arrive. I'll do my best at that point to muster up the excitement that I felt all those months back.

Given that they're now working from largest to smallest, it looks like I'll be one of the last in the queue.