Bones international orders question re: ticker

Darkmatter

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone on the Kickstarter page made a very interesting point, one that might explain what's going on better than my pet 'USPS is screwing Reaper over' theory.

It's possible that Reaper simply don't have enough figures left to fulfill shipping on ROW orders till the next slow boat from China arrives.

I hate that I suspect this might be the case. I hate that I don't trust Reaper anymore to tell us until its too late and I hate that my former fanboyish devotion to all things Reaper has been tarnished by a completely avoidable failure on the communication front.

• Like 2

How do I put this?

Everything was fine until the last few yards on the home stretch. But there - with ROW backers feeling left hung out to dry - Reaper dropped the ball so hard it's likely dug itself all the way down to the planet's core.

The real problem here isn't the delay though, it's the feel that problem orders (whatever the actual problem may be with ROW) don't get enough communication. Right now, I feel a lot like my local store feels when Diamond Distributors are "communicating" about a problem with the comics order.

As anyone who knows aught about the comics industry can attest, the only reason anyone deals with Diamond is they're a de facto monopolist. Reaper doesn't actually have that luxury, so I see their chances of finding new partners (distrubutors or retailers) in ROW waning. And that's the real problem - I was hoping the Kickstarter would help get good minis into broader circulation across Europe and the world and right now, my hopes for that are pretty much shattered.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 1

Well, my package arrived safely after having spend about a week at customs.

For the dutch people, customs will charge you 28.75 euro for the package.

It's a daunting pile of miniatures... so daunting that it will probably first go into a big box and be store between al the other boxes, just to make it them feel at home and just as neglected as the rest of the miniatures :p

Someone on the Kickstarter page made a very interesting point, one that might explain what's going on better than my pet 'USPS is screwing Reaper over' theory.

It's possible that Reaper simply don't have enough figures left to fulfill shipping on ROW orders till the next slow boat from China arrives.

The problem of lack of communication is that it tends to speculation and it could be very dangerous for a firm reputation even if in this case I doubt that this is the motivation that created the shipping problem since reaper is still shipping the undertaker levels and so should have enough models in store.

Probably we are dealing with a more bureaucratic or organizational problem, but again even this is speculation.

so I see their chances of finding new partners (distrubutors or retailers) in ROW waning. And that's the real problem - I was hoping the Kickstarter would help get good minis into broader circulation across Europe and the world and right now, my hopes for that are pretty much shattered.

I am starting to feel in the same way

Edited by Ursha&NoAkei
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure that Reaper said that they ordered "Several Thousand" extra of each mini over and above those needed to fulfil the KS pledges. Which makes sense as they are going to have large orders from retailers and directly on their online store as soon as the KS pledges are shipped.

I'm starting to think that they're running into a manpower problem. After pushing shipments out with an aggressive overtime schedule at the start of summer, employees are probably wanting to take scheduled vacations. And apparently Undertaker orders have the option of requesting that their minis are blister-packed, which adds a lot more labour to their shipments. (That info is direct from a local store that pledged and wanted the spiffy packaging.) Then there are also apparently some new Monte Cook miniatures due to be released, so someone has to be manning the metal production process.

An update stating, "We've got too much to do and our staff are all really tired, we're not sure when we'll be done everything," sounds really bad and isn't any more helpful than, "We're still working on fulfillment, don't worry!" In a worst-case possible scenario, if they haven't shipped everything by PAX Prime, I'll go and give them heck on your guys' behalf. But I suspect they will be done by then.

Well, my package arrived safely after having spend about a week at customs.

For the dutch people, customs will charge you 28.75 euro for the package.

It's a daunting pile of miniatures... so daunting that it will probably first go into a big box and be store between al the other boxes, just to make it them feel at home and just as neglected as the rest of the miniatures :p

Thanks for the dutch quote :) Mine been @ customs since august 1st.

I can see how communication is hard on Reaper's side and how we are all kind of frustrated. I do believe they would evaluate the cr*p out of this if they were to do this again. Just a little while longer peeps, just a bit and we'll all have ze toys! I mean... miniatures.

You know I don't think the problem is the initial wait, or the communication from Reaper, I think its the sheer number of other people you know have had their stuff shipped. People all around you in the line have had their stuff shipped but not you.

For example I have 2 projects that finished funding 12 months or more ago and that were supposed to deliver in October last year from which I've received nothing. 1 is a book they are still not finished getting ready for printing! The other is miniatures that a couple of hundred folks have received, but even on the company forum its barely a ripple, so I don't notice much. Here on the other hand every forum area pretty much has someone getting excited about their stuff and showing it off, and every time there is that twinge of "when will I get mine?" running through your head.

Could Reaper be communicating better, sure, but I'm also confident that even if they were the waiting wouldn't really be easier.

• Like 8

You know I don't think the problem is the initial wait, or the communication from Reaper, I think its the sheer number of other people you know have had their stuff shipped. People all around you in the line have had their stuff shipped but not you.

For example I have 2 projects that finished funding 12 months or more ago and that were supposed to deliver in October last year from which I've received nothing. 1 is a book they are still not finished getting ready for printing! The other is miniatures that a couple of hundred folks have received, but even on the company forum its barely a ripple, so I don't notice much. Here on the other hand every forum area pretty much has someone getting excited about their stuff and showing it off, and every time there is that twinge of "when will I get mine?" running through your head.

Could Reaper be communicating better, sure, but I'm also confident that even if they were the waiting wouldn't really be easier.

You're a little bit right. The wait is a problem, but if we understood why we had to wait it would be less of one. Hence the communication screw up (can you screw up something that's almost non-existant?) aggravates the issue.

The fact that we get to sit and twiddle our thumbs whilst other people have recieved more punctual treatment further compounds the issue leading many of us to the verge of cussing so hard our decendants will be paying off our swear jar debts.

If Reaper did the right thing and told us why we have been pushed aside (or why it seems that way) then at least we could attempt to sympathise with whatever has caused the issue. Instead its been left to our imagination. The "mean ol' postal service excuse" has become increasingly unlikely in many of our views, and Reaper hasn't even used that excuse recently making it seem even more unlikely that it is still the cause.

The lack of telling us what I honestly believe we have a right to know tells me one or more of a few things:

a) They don't trust their customers (or backers if you want to get picky) to be understanding of whatever has caused the holdup. (insulting)

b) They messed up something awful and don't want people to know what they've done. (dodgy, misleading, dishonest)

c) They've chosen to put some other business ahead of us for some reason. (see above, also unethical)

d) For some reason they've decided not to tell us even though they have no control of the situation and logically can't be blamed. (unlikely, bloody stupid)

Obviously some of these ideas are horrible to think of, and given any other situation are not motives I would connect to a company as well liked as Reaper. Unfortunately, most of us wouldn't be involved in this hobby if we didn't have an imagination, and whilst we can control what we believe, and what we want to believe, sometimes there's just no stopping that little voice inside your head saying "their silence means they have something to hide."

Finally I'd like to direct you all to this post from Penny Arcade.

These things all happened at PAX Aus, the first such PAX, though certainly not the last. I don’t think this is something people entirely understood, and I want to make it absolutely clear. The overriding impression I got from the attending throng is that they’re so used to being passed over that they expect it by now. It’s the default. I had more than a hundred conversations that culminated in a variant of, “So, do you think you’ll be back?” This even happened with the new Enforcers, who destroyed themselves to give Australia its own show. Do you think you’ll be back? They seemed to think I might be scared away by the rain, or the cold.

He talks about Australia, but it could just as easily be New Zealand, or any number of other countries which are unlucky enough not to be the U.S. (no doubt the U.S. sometimes gets shafted too, but I'd bet its infrequent by comparison) I'd like to say we get used to being "picked last" for most things, we certainly understand that there are (some of the time) reasons for it which are out of a company's control. But I hope people can understand that when we put our trust in a company that we think might treat us differently... only to have those beliefs shattered... we get... disappointed... to put it lightly... very, very lightly.

• Like 1

@OsidianCrane: I think you have a point.

It was a bit disappointing when my mate got his mail weeks ago. I was not all that concerned, it was only when I came on to the forum to work out what was happening and things did not add up that I began to get frustrated. When he got his stuff it did make things a little worse!

I reckon there are a number of contributing factors. Yes, seeing others get theirs before yours are even sent. Also allowing oneself to get caught up in the anticipation that the ticker caused and then the huge anti climax. Then trying to work out what had happened, having to check multiple channels and then there being contradictions between what we've read and what is happening! Add in too the uncertainty this causes.

In particular the feeling that surely, surely if Reaper could overcome all the obstacles for 16000+ other backers surely they could have done more for us.

So if Reaper could have made regular clear explanations that took the guess work out of it, reassured us that everything was in hand and were specific in what that meant, acknowledged that the delays we've experienced are of a different nature to those the U.S. or even Canada & the first half of the RoW suffered...... Then a lot of the heat would have been taken out of it.

I can say that when I did get my email, the uncertainty went & while I will have to deal with my mate staggering into the gaming club weighed down with his Bones, I am pretty much back to the same sense of anticipation I was at when they sent him his shipping email though that doesn't mean I'm not impatient.

Edited by Heretic

The amount of excitement doesn't help indeed.

I'm not much bothered about their communication, we had an update a week ago and somewhere I expect we'll get another one soon... (although they could have explained the reasons a little more in detail, so we could actually have a chance to understand what's taking so long)

But what buggers me most of all is that US-orders went out at a speed of 14000 orders in about three weeks, while rest of the world takes three weeks for about 1500 orders...

US-customers were important enough to make a max crew work non-stop to get the orders out as fast as possible. As soon as the ROW-orders started, this as-fast-as-possible-statement didn't matter anymore...

Of course, "unfortunately those figures don't package themselves and we have a factory to run", I can understand that... but I don't see why this makes sense though, they had to be packed for US-customers aswell... (or not?).

Now it's more important to run the factory then finishing the row-orders while earlier it was like "sorry, we won't have to time reply, we're kinda busy right now".

I'm not saying they do this on purpose, but it leaves me with a feeling that we are not important enough to keep as potential customers, as if ROW is more like a burden to them at this moment or as if... it's only ROW... you know... the bloodbags who consume oxygen at the other side of the ocean...

I've ordered directly from them in the past and was really happy with their service. But this kickstarter-service turned into a huge disappointment last three weeks, and if these bones would have been my first Reaper-mini's, it'd probably be the last aswell.

There's still a lot of candy in their shop that I'd love to buy, and some of their sculpters have been added to my list of favorite artists so I hope I will still feel like buying their work, but they're getting really close to convince me that rest of world really is more of a burden to them, so why should I care to buy miniatures of them in the future if I'm nothing more then a burden?

If my order isn't important enough to them, then I won't bother them anymore buying something.

I'm not saying that's what it is, it's what they make me feel right now, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. They're losing potential future international customers here, and the longer it takes, the more it makes me think, the worse it gets.

I still hope the exitement of opening the box of bones, if it ever comes, will erase all the negativity.

• Like 3

Finally I'd like to direct you all to this post from Penny Arcade.

These things all happened at PAX Aus, the first such PAX, though certainly not the last. I don’t think this is something people entirely understood, and I want to make it absolutely clear. The overriding impression I got from the attending throng is that they’re so used to being passed over that they expect it by now. It’s the default. I had more than a hundred conversations that culminated in a variant of, “So, do you think you’ll be back?” This even happened with the new Enforcers, who destroyed themselves to give Australia its own show. Do you think you’ll be back? They seemed to think I might be scared away by the rain, or the cold.

He talks about Australia, but it could just as easily be New Zealand, or any number of other countries which are unlucky enough not to be the U.S. (no doubt the U.S. sometimes gets shafted too, but I'd bet its infrequent by comparison) I'd like to say we get used to being "picked last" for most things, we certainly understand that there are (some of the time) reasons for it which are out of a company's control. But I hope people can understand that when we put our trust in a company that we think might treat us differently... only to have those beliefs shattered... we get... disappointed... to put it lightly... very, very lightly.

Wow, I missed that PA arcade post but it's so true. I was at PAX Aus and despite is pouring down with rain (I spent most of each day walking around in sodden shoes and wet socks because I stupidly decided to wear suede heels. Oh how stupid am I...) and there being thousands upon thousands of people cramming into every corner of the Con in big lines - the overall air was so positive. Everyone was so thrilled to have their own Con like this -in Australia- that nothing was going to dampen (bad pun) their spirits.

I'm not questioning Reaper's motives at all, but from the start it seemed as though they were fairly going to work between U.S., Canada and RoW. Things reasonably beyond their control came about which understandably pushed us a little bit back the queue, but their lack of communication and current inaction does seem to indicate a 'who cares about those few remaining overseas people' whether it was their intention or not.

Especially given some of the comments that TheBucklandBrewer specifically pointed out, the

' those figures don't package themselves'

'and we have a factory to run'

Gee, that's great. I don't really recall any comments like this while you were packing U.S. orders, are you trying to make us feel bad for simply wanting our figures that others have had for months and expecting the same level of service you provided them with? If I could come and help you pack Bones, I would!

• Like 8

' those figures don't package themselves'

'and we have a factory to run'

Gee, that's great. I don't really recall any comments like this while you were packing U.S. orders, are you trying to make us feel bad for simply wanting our figures that others have had for months and expecting the same level of service you provided them with? If I could come and help you pack Bones, I would!

Not to mention that the RoW customers had to pay extra in shipping, which I fully understand the need for this, but then get treated like 2nd class customers because we live in the antipodes.

Sorry, the bad taste in my mouth builds up to the point where I have to spit it out every once in a while. I will go back to sulking again until I get my confirmation email.