[Reaper Bones]A plea of help from Mother Earth

edwardp

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering about this. If you're in Australia and you're wondering where you can recycle your plastic bags, or other items, there are 2 good websites I found as my local council (and I imagine many others) can't accept plastic bags. I've heard they can get stuck in and generally screw up our recycling centre machines.

http://www.recyclingnearyou.com.au/ - run by Planet Ark which helps you find your nearest recycling place for all types of things (got the link from my local council's website), and

http://redcycle.net.au/redcycle/ - where you can search for the nearest place to recycle your shopping bags and thin plastic packaging (link provided from the previous website), which looks like most Coles supermarket stores. I have noticed a large shopping bag recycling bin outside our local one, but also didn't know you could recycle other plastics in there too.

One of our local supermarkets (Remke-Biggs) has a bin for putting in plastic bags. They recycle them into park benches, since apparently that type of plastic is perfect for that sort of thing I guess. Unfortunately, I was so stoked about receiving my pledge that I opened all the baggies while at work and just threw them in my work garbage bag :(

I moved from a city where you had to pay $15 a month to be able to recycle, and then that was almost nothing. So the cultural mentality of the city was just not to recycle. It made me cry constantly whenever I left campus. (Campus had things set up to recycle everything). Then after college I moved to a city where everything is recycled always! My first time walking downtown and seeing a recycling bin next to every public trashcan (and people using them properly) I might have squeed out loud a bit :(

• Like 3

I like to recycle, but they make it so hard here with opaque, arcane, and draconian rules. This can is okay, this identical can is not. No glass for some reason. Cardboard but not paper except sometimes it's okay. Plastic must be put out between precisely 8 am and 805 am even though it's not picked up until 3. Grass clippings must be accompanied by a goat weighing 5 kg. Labels must be notarized in triplicate.

• Like 8

i just burn them :devil:

And cooked some beautiful and innocent creature with that fire XD

I use to live in Japan and the things they had to pay to toss would usually end up in a bon fire a couple times a year. Depending on where you live in the country anything that's inorganic and larger then a shoe can only be thrown away in special trash bags that can run as high as $40 depending on what you're wanting to throw away (average is about $10 though) so most people would just burn as much as they can so the didn't have to pay.

Most places I've lived are very adamant about NO plastic bags/film in the recycling bins. They gum up the machines and case entire batches to be thrown out instead of recycled. Portland has a good number of independent lots to bring the recyclables that don't go into the bins.

My friends give me so much grief about my anal-ness when it comes to recycling.
At least 10 people sent me this video when the commercial came out:

http://youtu.be/F9rSZAY8Z6Q

Edited by estrus

I gotta say it's nice to live in an area where we seperate our garbage in green bags for wet garbage (compostables) and blue bags for dry garbage. Then the local "waste management" company hand sorts all of the dry stuff to recycle what is recyclable (metal, plastic, glass, etc.). They use the wet garbage to make compost soil to give away. They won't pick up hazardous waste, but you can bring it in for a small fee, or wait till the yearly "free hazardous waste day"

Granted we pay extra in taxes for this service, but this means EVERYONE recycles, not just some of us. If it can be recycled, the best place for it is in the trash!

not trying to ramble on here, but I need to say that I feel hypocritical for being eco-conscious and also be in the construction industry. We clear-cut sections of woods to make ugly duplex subdivisions filled with asphalt shingles, fibreglass insulation, and plastic plumbing. Then the birch/oak/maple flooring is made halfway across the world, when these are the kinds of trees we clear-cut to build the houses!

No glass for some reason.

Mine is very similar, but they at least let us know it's due to the hand sorting of the normal recycling, and provide a separate location to drop off glass (a pain, but at least it's there).

Edited by Deelron