Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Bones and Secret Weapon Washes

Anyone used the SW washes straight on any of the bones figures yet? I'm looking to order several and wondered what the experiences have been.

• Like 1

I've used a thinned out wash of my usual acrylics as what I call a "finder wash". It's just black or brown paint with lots of water and a little flow-ease, not a commercial pre-mix. I don't know if anybody else does that. It was useful on the Bones figure because unpainted the details were hard to see due to the semi-translucent color of the material, but the wash brought them out so I could clearly see any mold-line filing or other prep work that was necessary before proceeding with the serious painting.

But after the prep, a thorough washing and a solid base coat, my other painting techniques proceeded normally.

• Like 1

I've debated whether or not to try and put together some of Les' wash recipes, but I'm not sure the cost vs laziness factor is equitible ;)

I've debated whether or not to try and put together some of Les' wash recipes, but I'm not sure the cost vs laziness factor is equitible ;)

Really, I think you're better going with the SW washes. You don't save much money by the time to track down all the materials.

I've been having fun playing with the inks and trying to come up with some different colors that are useful, but the SW selection

should cover most needs.

I have some washes made from Liquitex Acrylic ink, Liquitex Matte Medium, and Distilled water. I've used them on unpainted bones, and they stick ok, but not great, there is some beading and running. I usually have to go over them a few times with the wash. I also find them helpful for finding details on some of them.

• Like 2

I used SW washes on my Cave troll and they worked a charm. Straight onto the unpainted areas and it was fine. I made sure my figure had been soaked over night in soapy water first.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chris Palmer
      Back when the Bones 4 Kickstarter was running, when the Giant Rhinoceros Beetle was revealed in the Fan Favorites set, someone posted this photo of a Frog riding a Beetle to the Enthusiasm Thread, and I knew it was a conversion I would eventually want to try.  I have an extensive Frog Army, and I wanted such a figure to be a Leader or Hero for my forces. 

I had the pieces I needed at hand; the Bones Black "Giant Rhinoceros Beetle", and my rider - for which i  had decided to use the Bones "Mudcroak" Squog figure.

As I looked at Mudcroak, I knew I would have to separate him from his base, but I knew there was no way I could remove all those little toes from the base without damaging them.  So, right off the bat I made the decision to just remove his feet along with the base, with the plan that I would then resculpted them with greenstuff directly onto the beetle's back once I had the frog glued in place.

Here's a test fit, with the frog held in place with blue-tac.

That's all for right now.

• By Bane Of Humanity
      Ok, this may have been asked before and I have a terrible memory and I could not find a straight answer in the FAQ.

The white material vs the slightly less white material (not to be confused with bones black)
      I have a what is essentially a bucket of bones miniatures from all 4 kickstarters.  Im a slow painter.  
      I decided to pick a few out to paint.  I painted Almaran the gold and noticed his head was deformed.  replaced it
      Next I tried Durok the dwarf ranger and I noticed his right side did not mold correctly.  Nothing I could do about it but its fine not complaining.
      Ive noticed most of my bones 4 that had the new grey material have not had these sort of issues.
      I would show pics but I dont wanna...

My question is has this issue been fixed for the older bones miniatures,  Are they being cast in this new grey material? 
    • By Iridil
      This was a quick, and fun, paint - I have a soft spot for the translucent figures - painted up as a 'gift' from an NPC to my players. Just open the box for help....

• By Kuroneko
      I think most GM's can sympathise, sometimes your players just get lucky going through a dungeon. Maybe the dice are on their side or maybe they're just a bunch of min/maxing little murder hobos that have destroyed everything in their path. What you need is one final encounter, one last way to try and salvage at least some of your pride and show them that they're not quite as in control as they think they are. 

There's a room. It's certainly locked and probably warded and what player can resist that? Once they force their way the find this ancient stone circle. There's some sort of mossy ooze growing on its base, but the players attention is drawn to the softly pulsing light from the giant cabochon jewels set as eyes in the carved dragon heads. How can they resist?

A massive thanks to @TaleSpinner for sculpting such an awesome piece, it was a pleasure to paint!

This is when you turn around the portal What comes out of it? Not sure, but its certainly something draconic, maybe even something with 5 heads

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms are gratefully received. Hope you liked it.
    • By Kuroneko
      A long time ago, in March 2019 to be exact, @NomadZeke set a painting challenge for that years April Fools Day. Paint something ridiculous.......20 months later I finally finished my entry for it He's based on a Pathfinder Huge pawn holder for ease of use in games.

I absolutely adore this mini, in my opinion it's the best Huge sized dragons on the market and one of Julie Guthrie's most stunning sculpts 

I humbly present to you, Kyphrixis the multi-hued Rainbow Dragon!

Hope y'all like him, as always all comments and criticisms are happily received
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 2 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)