Sign in to follow this  
Maredudd

Two Questions from a Warlord Newcomer

Hi Folks!

While rumaging through the Online Store I noted that "Warlord: Savage North" is described as featuring the "Warlord Second Edition Rues". Does this mean that if I buy Warlord: Savage North I don't have to buy the cheaper Second Edition rules? Does Savage North include the original factions as well as the eight new factions?

My next question involves the Warlord Support Community an where, besides here on the forum, can I find it. I've read posts here on the forum that talk about the two Official Tournaments, at ReaperCon and GenCon, and also of the BL network of Warlord Groups/Games. Where do I find out more about the BL Network?

Thanks!

Yes, both books contain the game rules needed to learn/play the game. No, Savage North does not contain the original factions.

The BL programs was discontinued several years ago. We are no more.

Here and the reapergames.com website are going to be your primary sources for information and contacts about the Warlord game.

~v

Ok, thanks for the info. I had noticed the messages I was reading were, ah, rather old and with the general lack of information on the BL program I suspected it had gone the way of the dinosaur. :-)

If you want the rules and don't care particularly about the factions I recommend Savage North of the Core book. It is (arguably) better presented and is hardcover making it a bit more durable. If you do care about the factions get the rulebook that has the most factions that interest you in it.

If you want to play lizardmen, undead or demons you need Warlord 2E.

If you want to play werewolves, crazy evil gnomes or frost giants you need Savage North.

Elves, drow (a bit more dnd in style in SN), dwarves, and humans have options in both books.

Thanks ObsidianCrane. I was thinking about starting out with Savage North, but Warlord 2E is cheaper. I'll look at what figures I currently have and see which book they will better support. In either case I'll be picking up one of them in the next week.

I do suggest starting with Savage North book. The rules are the same in both books, but they did clarify a few ambiguous rules in SN. Also, there is an awesome painting guide in the back of the book.

• Like 1

I found a pdf of the Warlord 2nd Edition Final Public Playtest, dated June 2009, and was wondering how much the published rules differed.

Note: I'll be ordering Savage North Friday but I might try to throw together a game with a friend this weekend and need some rules to play with. Though If I do we'll completely be putting armies together with 100% proxies! :-)

I found a pdf of the Warlord 2nd Edition Final Public Playtest, dated June 2009, and was wondering how much the published rules differed.

Note: I'll be ordering Savage North Friday but I might try to throw together a game with a friend this weekend and need some rules to play with. Though If I do we'll completely be putting armies together with 100% proxies! :-)

They'll give you a start but the final rules are changed from that Public Beta playtest PDF.

Ok. Good to know. If I can get a friend to play we'll do so knowing its not the final rule set. For ne I'll be starting from scratch, and my friend is most recently a Kings of War fan.

The game is great mechanically. Aside from questions from noobs like me, there really isn't much to talk about as the game is so well balanced. It may not be as colorful a rulebook as other games out there, but it's got the goods under the hood.

Please go with the original core rules. It has Mercs. You know you want to play them.

Ah! But I want to play Halflings!! :-)

• Like 1