Bones You'd Like to See, thread #2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if they'll move more to "straight to Bones" sculpts with exaggerated textures? I am inclined to think there's some loss going on in the process more than the material.

You may have hit the nail on the head. Some Bones minis have excellent details and other similar minis are softer. That truly does seem like more of a production issue than a material one. We all know that the shipping delay was caused by a few bad molds. The Bonesium wasn't at fault. They fixed it by improving the mold, not by changing the casting material. That said, I don't think that bendable PVC is the best material for razor sharp details, but I don't buy Bones for that. I get them to fill my gaming table with beautifully sculpted affordable BBEGs. Show pieces and most PCs I get in metal. Thankfully, Reaper makes both options. 

• Like 5

Getting to play with the shipping container mini from the Bones II kickstarter that was made from the harder material, really makes me want to see current day business/store fronts and walls to make street terrain for zombie and pulp games etc.

For example. Pieces that would be able to make street fronts like this:

photo_zps55819ba7.jpg

• Like 8

I wonder if they'll move more to "straight to Bones" sculpts with exaggerated textures? I am inclined to think there's some loss going on in the process more than the material.

You may have hit the nail on the head. Some Bones minis have excellent details and other similar minis are softer. That truly does seem like more of a production issue than a material one. We all know that the shipping delay was caused by a few bad molds. The Bonesium wasn't at fault. They fixed it by improving the mold, not by changing the casting material. That said, I don't think that bendable PVC is the best material for razor sharp details, but I don't buy Bones for that. I get them to fill my gaming table with beautifully sculpted affordable BBEGs. Show pieces and most PCs I get in metal. Thankfully, Reaper makes both options. 

Neythermaul has some great texture.

• Like 3

Not a big fan of "straight to BONES." Unless it absolutely can't be done in metal. It eliminates us metal heads from the market.

• Like 1

What about a Bones modular tavern bar with extendable length to fit different size rooms? It could come in a few pieces. Two end pieces that could be used alone for a short bar plus a few middle pieces to extend the bar length. Kind of like adding leaves to an extendable dining table. It might be more universality popular than the shipping container. Useful in wild west, fantasy pulp, zombie... everybody love a bar scene!

I'd like to see a campsite set some day. Campfire, tent, bed mats, cooking pot. The sleep mats could be used in dungeons as well. Both straw and blanket types would be useful.

• Like 5

Considering I am looking at miniatures for D&D sessions, that is what I will refer to in this post. I would love to see:

Pack Enemies: Wolves (Regular, Great, Dire, Frost, etc...) and other multi-legged creatures, similar to the Rats multi-pack

- Generic Adventurers: D&D races of various genders and standard classes in a multi-pack. Examples include: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Dragonborn, etc. with Fighter + Cleric + Thief + Wizard classes in a multi-pack. I am currently playing a Dragonborn Cleric, and there is no miniature that properly represents him or any of his race. Considering how rare the Dragonborn figures are from WotC in their expensive blind pre-painted multi-packs (or even purchased as a single figure from shops), and how easy it would be to convert or adapt current molds since Dragonborn have neither wings or tails and are essentially bulked-up dragon-headed lizardmen, I would think this is a prime opportunity!

- Young / Smaller Dragons: More like the Young Fire Dragon of further varied types (black, blue, green, white, gold, bronze, silver, copper, etc...)

- Classic Monsters: More of the traditional D&D monster staples which have been around since the days of yore when D&D was still new (the Great Worm / Purple Worm was a good start!)

Human Enemy Groups: Used as a basis for larger hordes / armies, similar to what can be done with the current Bones multi-packs of Zombies, Skeletons, Mummies, Orcs, Goblins, and Kobolds

Also, I am really liking the look and customization options of the Wargames Factory miniatures (wargamesfactory.com), which provide independent arms, torsos, heads, weapons, shields, and leg bases to allow full mix & match customization of entire hordes of figures. Might this be a consideration to save money on molds and provide greater flexibility in figure creation?

What about a Bones modular tavern bar with extendable length to fit different size rooms? It could come in a few pieces. Two end pieces that could be used alone for a short bar plus a few middle pieces to extend the bar length. Kind of like adding leaves to an extendable dining table. It might be more universality popular than the shipping container. Useful in wild west, fantasy pulp, zombie... everybody love a bar scene!

A bar tends to be a sort of plain rectangular block. Pehaps a reversible low sort of bookcase, the shelves lined with bottles, in a modular form could do. And be used for shelves of bottles elsewhere, like alchemical labs.

• Like 2

A bar tends to be a sort of plain rectangular block. Pehaps a reversible low sort of bookcase, the shelves lined with bottles, in a modular form could do. And be used for shelves of bottles elsewhere, like alchemical labs.

It's more than a rectangular block and very much key to any tavern. That's like saying Reaper shouldn't have made a table because it's just a square on a block, or a crate is just a cube. The shape isn't what's important. It's the role it plays in making a game setting. 

Edit to add picture: 

c089102a0d53d4cbe8da94744786eee5.jpg

Edited by CorallineAlgae
  • Like 1

Also, I am really liking the look and customization options of the Wargames Factory miniatures (wargamesfactory.com), which provide independent arms, torsos, heads, weapons, shields, and leg bases to allow full mix & match customization of entire hordes of figures. Might this be a consideration to save money on molds and provide greater flexibility in figure creation?

Well Wargames factory is targeting a slightly different market and for now Reaper's policy is to have any separate parts glued at the factory.  Maybe when/if they do a Warlord Kickstarter then poseable miniatures would make sense.

In the mean time, posable Bones minis are just an X-Acto knife away.

Edited by lowlylowlycook